Could we see another iPhone price fiasco?

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Could we see another iPhone price fiasco, like when the iPhone price dropped from $500?

I was debating whether I should pre-order the 3GS, disappointed in the fact that the monthly fees are extortion and no changes were made, when I thought of this.

AT&T's CEO has admitted that they are toying with the idea of lower iPhone fees, but also states that, "the company makes its money by selling data services, not by selling iPhones." <-- derrr more iPhone = more data fee...

Everybody was expecting a price cut in the monthly fee, but nothing happened.

So here is my worry- AT&T wants to continue the gravy train, but 3GS sales aren't as good as expected, Sprint, T-mo are catching up with their smartphones, everybody is hounding AT&T to drop the price and in a few months AT&T drops the monthly fee and everybody before that... oh well :rolleyes:

Your thoughts?

Harleyman

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
I would hope that if there is a monthly fee reduction that ATT would apply it to everyone. If not they would likely loose a bunch of people including me..

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
I'm not understanding what the fuss is. The first Iphone was not subsidized. The second one is. The 3gs will be subsidized if you are a new customer or if your contract is up. ATT did not have to subsidize the second iphone and allow 2g owners to upgrade to the 3g. Have you ever seen them do that do any of the other phones?

NO. So please stop acting like it is ATTs fault. If you hate their network there are others.

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
I think your point is well taken, as well as others (and Blogs) that point out there is nothing wrong with the proposed pricing strategy for existing users. I think someone on this forum made a good point - consider the high initial cost as the price for being the first to try out the device. If prices drop later, oh well. You wanted to be a first-adopter.

If the price seems high now, then the time probably isn't right for you to upgrade. No brainer for me. I will upgrade when my 18 months have passed.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
if you can't afford the phone plans , cancel your pre-order and get another phone.

I could understand complaining about the 3G service because that's legit but not with at&t price points.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
In getting the newest devices, early adopters realize they are paying a premium. It is my desire to get the latest and greatest, so I realize that I will pay more than someone who waits...

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Wow... I'm surprised by the positive feelings that everybody has for AT&T. Reading the blogs and news, I thought there was some animosity toward AT&T, but I guess not. If people are that happy with AT&T, then I hope that Apple sticks with AT&T!

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Wow... I'm surprised by the positive feelings that everybody has for AT&T. Reading the blogs and news, I thought there was some animosity toward AT&T, but I guess not. If people are that happy with AT&T, then I hope that Apple sticks with AT&T!

This has nothing to do with liking AT&T. It's entirely about using a product we enjoy - the iPhone. My carrier preference is for Verizon. If the iPhone was available, I would be using my iPhone on that network.

AT&T has iPhone exclusivity at least through 2010. If you want the iPhone, you have to use AT&T. If you want to be an early adopter, you wait in line/camp out, and pay the premium price without further question. Verizon has early adopters as well.

It's all about the iPhone and how cool it makes us look. :D

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't see AT&T lowering the data plan seeing as it's the same price as data plans for other smart phones.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
that thought crossed my mind too. but I don't care. I want the new phone asap and will pay through the nose if I have to.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
BTW. I have been with AT&T/Cingular/AT&T for more than ten years. I have no complaints. they have always done right by me and their network has always worked for me. so yes, i feel warm and fuzzy for AT&T. I am extremely happy that two of my favorite companies have offered me one heck of a fun device! I will be sad to see the IPhone move to a basic carrier if and when that does happen.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trexgameaz