Connecting iPhone 5 to iTunes for 1st time question.

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Since purchasing my iPhone 5 I've done all of my updates OTA, I'm now trying to prepare for the imminent jailbreak and have connected my phone to the computer for the first time. When I click on it on the left-hand column I get the "Welcome to your new iPhone" screen and it's asking me to set my phone up as new. I've only backed up to iCloud to this point and I'm unsure if I should click continue in iTunes, will this restore my phone to the way it was when I purchased it and if so will all my data come back through the iCloud backup?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since purchasing my iPhone 5 I've done all of my updates OTA, I'm now trying to prepare for the imminent jailbreak and have connected my phone to the computer for the first time. When I click on it on the left-hand column I get the "Welcome to your new iPhone" screen and it's asking me to set my phone up as new. I've only backed up to iCloud to this point and I'm unsure if I should click continue in iTunes, will this restore my phone to the way it was when I purchased it and if so will all my data come back through the iCloud backup?

I'm assuming you have a Windows machine. Anyway, you should NOT select to set your device as new if all you want to do is back it up via iTunes. I'm no longer familiar with Windows machines but there should be option to simply backup your device.

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
That was the only purpose of me connecting it to the computer was to do a back up on the computer anticipating that I would need to use iTunes for the jailbreak. I've looked all over and I can't find the option to just back up the device usually I would right-click on it where it shows up on the left-hand column and choose "back up" but there is no option there. Also it doesn't show up in the right-hand big column because I haven't gone through the process of setting it up on this computer yet.

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have a solution/explanation. I still haven't connected it and don't know if I should bother now that I've done the OTA update.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have a solution/explanation. I still haven't connected it and don't know if I should bother now that I've done the OTA update.

I do not know how it is in Windows, but after you connect your iPhone to your computer via USB and initiate the iTunes app, the device is recognized and the word "iPhone" appears in the upper right corner of the screen underneath the "search Library" field. When I click on "iPhone", I am taken to the summary page where I can select "Backup Now" under the heading "Backups".

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii28