Charging and wired headset at the same time possible?

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah from what I've read you have to use the existing Apple dock but it's not cheap and like others have said what are you going to have one for the office and one for the car if your like the above poster.

Personally my car uses a lighting cable for audio so it's already doing audio and charging so no big deal and I nearly always use Bluetooth headphones.

At the office I use a single earbud so I can hear coworkers. I was skeptical but it works amazing and goes unnoticed by most. Perfect for podcasts or music if you're not super particular about top sound quality. The microphone is not good but that's not why I got it. Also it fits my ear perfectly so I've even worn it in the gym a time or two and at under $12 such little risk. I charge it on my lunch break and it basically lasts me the entire day. Check it out at https://www.amazon.com/Efanr-Invisi...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2801977
iMoreAppImg_20160908_174948.jpg

pendragyn

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
If it's even possible for the Lightning port to conduct two actions at once (music player and charging), I'm guessing some third party will release a lightning adapter that permits for two connections.

It is possible. I have listened to music while charging my phone through a lightning cable in the car.

SL2

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Apple could just have put a lightning port on top of the headset plug and all this would have been a non issue.
Like this, the headset cable is attached to the side of the connector (green), and a lighning port is located at the end (red). Ignore the cable to the left of the red line.
lp.png

Last edited:

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar concern. I drive a 2008 car, the only way to connect audio is through the Aux (3.5mm) port, and then charge through the 12W (cigarette lighter) port. I drive a lot and don't want to have to alternate between listening to music and podcasts (like iMore) and charging my phone. I also use the phone for GPS directions a lot which EATS battery and that audio also plays through my car speakers via the AUX port.

The included dongle doesn't solve this problem. Need a splitter. I appreciate apple forcing innovation, but I'm certainly not buying a new car to accommodate my phone. Headphones, sure. But the car is a bit of a different animal. Does anyone know of any splitters currently available? Enough 3rd parties probably had the headsup to get MFI certified for launch.

My situation exactly. 2008 car with no BT. I always charge when I'm listening to music and using GPS

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yawmelo09