CARROT Weather 5 is a complete redesign of an already great app

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

Att: Spencerdl...
Give me a city or town close to you and I'll do a shot of its location info. I've added a bit to mine , but I use criterion significant to me
6b5471c3f0f9c9c2a60d0fe3889c3e68.png

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Att: Spencerdl...
Give me a city or town close to you and I'll do a shot of its location info. I've added a bit to mine , but I use criterion significant to me
6b5471c3f0f9c9c2a60d0fe3889c3e68.png

By inference from your last homescreen shot...
7c84ef25ac707493883e8ecb45a962f2.png

Many fields are easily customizable and one can choose from no end of displayed parameters and sequences.

I was just wondering about the custom weather sets. For the most part weather apps are pretty accurate for my area nowadays no matter which weather source they use.
Thanks anyway

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering about the custom weather sets. For the most part weather apps are pretty accurate for my area nowadays no matter which weather source they use.
Thanks anyway

Having used Beweather in the past I know what you are asking. As of now, Carrot doesn’t allow you change the weather icon sets. It does, however, let you customize just about everything else to any layout you want.

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm still not willing to pay monthly or yearly for this app. I have the free version in my purchased list. I might look at it again.

Getting the weather data costs a recurring fee for developers. Just remember that when choosing whether to pay a subscription for an app or not.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Getting the weather data costs a recurring fee for developers. Just remember that when choosing whether to pay a subscription for an app or not.

I couldn't agree more. I use free versions (ads) as a short trial of the suitability or functionality of an app. I have no problem with subscriptions and review what I have periodically cancelling only what I no longer use. With the cost of decent devices it (IMHO) makes little sense to pay big $$ for a device with all the 'bells & whistles' then constantly nickel & dime independent developers and be satisfied with apps 'not up to potential' over what usually is less than $30/ yr. There are few 'gifts' given in most other aspects of life today and this is no different. Most developers are really the 'little man' in the tech world.

Last edited:

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. I use free versions (ads) as a short trial of the suitability or functionality of an app. I have no problem with subscriptions and review what I have periodically cancelling only what I no longer use. With the cost of decent devices it (IMHO) makes little sense to pay big $$ for a device with all the 'bells & whistles' then constantly nickel & dime independent developers and be satisfied with apps 'not up to potential' over what usually is less than $30/ yr. There are few 'gifts' given in most other aspects of life today and this is no different. Most developers are really the 'little man' in the tech world.

Thank you for understanding.

As a developer it frustrates me when folks either want to pay very little for an app or expect free updates for perpetuity. Software costs money to make and maintain.

I get that subscription fatigue is real. But it's really all about the value you get from the developer. If your favorite app goes subscription, instead of bombing the App Store with 1 star reviews because you don't want to pay. Just find another app.

Weather data is expensive. You don't get to use these APIs for free. You get charged per ping, a certain number every hour. Can you imagine all of CARROT's customers querying the weather data as much as folks just in this group do?

Just consider that most developers are far from rich and you wouldn't want to work for free.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
You are 'preaching to the choir' & I'm sure many here are in your camp. Check your PM's tomorrow as I'll put together a story of an experience of mine a few years ago, which you'll appreciate. Dmo.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for understanding.

As a developer it frustrates me when folks either want to pay very little for an app or expect free updates for perpetuity. Software costs money to make and maintain.

I get that subscription fatigue is real. But it's really all about the value you get from the developer. If your favorite app goes subscription, instead of bombing the App Store with 1 star reviews because you don't want to pay. Just find another app.

Weather data is expensive. You don't get to use these APIs for free. You get charged per ping, a certain number every hour. Can you imagine all of CARROT's customers querying the weather data as much as folks just in this group do?

Just consider that most developers are far from rich and you wouldn't want to work for free.

I agree somewhat, however I've been around a few twentfours and see where some Devs are trying to turn a hobby into a real job. I get that weather data is expensive as well, but not $4.99 monthly subscription expensive.
There are several weather apps that are FREE without all the bells and whistles so it's a hard concept for me to totally blame the weather source they are using. When does a person realize that GREED is the number one problem with America and other parts of the world. A lot has to do with wanting fast money.

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I agree somewhat, however I've been around a few twentfours and see where some Devs are trying to turn a hobby into a real job. I get that weather data is expensive as well, but not $4.99 monthly subscription expensive.
There are several weather apps that are FREE without all the bells and whistles so it's a hard concept for me to totally blame the weather source they are using. When does a person realize that GREED is the number one problem with America and other parts of the world. A lot has to do with wanting fast money.

So a developer shouldn't turn a hobby into a job?

Yes, weather data is expensive.

Look at this chart, then add it up by a few hundred thousand. That's what I'm talking about here.

Weather Data Editions and Pricing | Visual Crossing

How is it greedy to want to make a living? I don't understand how a developer is considered greedy for wanting to create a sustainable business but not anyone else.

People think devs are rolling in it. That isn't the case.

Like please try to build an app, host it, and pay for the API for thousands of users. Then get back to me.

The double standard is real.

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site

You can download a free weather app. No doubt about that. But what are they doing with your data? How does it function? What happens when the app is abandoned and your data is sold somewhere?

Idk man I'm just trying to show you that devs aren't rich and deserve to make a living. None of this has anything to do with GREED. At all.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
So a developer shouldn't turn a hobby into a job?

Yes, weather data is expensive.

Look at this chart, then add it up by a few hundred thousand. That's what I'm talking about here.

Weather Data Editions and Pricing | Visual Crossing

How is it greedy to want to make a living? I don't understand how a developer is considered greedy for wanting to create a sustainable business but not anyone else.

People think devs are rolling in it. That isn't the case.

Like please try to build an app, host it, and pay for the API for thousands of users. Then get back to me.

The double standard is real.

You can download a free weather app. No doubt about that. But what are they doing with your data? How does it function? What happens when the app is abandoned and your data is sold somewhere?

Idk man I'm just trying to show you that devs aren't rich and deserve to make a living. None of this has anything to do with GREED. At all.

Oh OK

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
My nephew ( in Canada) is doing online classes on a university scholarship in software & gaming. It's far from a hobby. I can only compare his aspirations to a kid who caddies yearning for pro- golf. What percentage of golfers who 'go pro' make the $$ most of the public think they all make. In so many aspects of any enterprise, success can and often is fleeting.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I see from your emoji reactions that you agree with this mindset and that's good for you and I'm happy that your happy with Carrot 5 and paying $5 monthly (which ever subscription method) for a weather app.
I guess I'm just 'old school' and don't see where that much monthly would be beneficial for me and the way I use weather apps on my iPhone. I have about 3/4 that I use regularly and they work great for my area.
ENJOY

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I see from your emoji reactions that you agree with this mindset and that's good for you and I'm happy that your happy with Carrot 5 and paying $5 monthly (which ever subscription method) for a weather app.
I guess I'm just 'old school' and don't see where that much monthly would be beneficial for me and the way I use weather apps on my iPhone. I have about 3/4 that I use regularly and they work great for my area.
ENJOY

And when 'out and about' at tines using my phone, I do allow myself a cup of coffee too

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
My nephew ( in Canada) is doing online classes on a university scholarship in software & gaming. It's far from a hobby. I can only compare his aspirations to a kid who caddies yearning for pro- golf. What percentage of golfers who 'go pro' make the $$ most of the public think they all make. In so many aspects of any enterprise, success can and often is fleeting.

I understand that, however it takes time to become a professional as does the pay scale that comes along with that level. I just don't see where a weather app deserves that level...LOL
When I played Basketball, Radio Controlled Airplanes ectra (to many to list..LOL), those was hobbies, however I do understand that you have to start somewhere.

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I do understand both points. There are many levels of developer’s and I realize that many developers are trying to make a living. And I get it. As a consumer, I have a ton of apps. And as my resources are not unlimited, I realize that I need to be more discerning when choosing Apps. Most of my Apps have been free, and so it’s a bit of mental adjustment to start paying for one. Of course, depending on what type of app it is, the decision is easy.

I also realize that without developers, smartphones would be completely different, and not necessarily in a good way!

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I do understand both points. There are many levels of developer’s and I realize that many developers are trying to make a living. And I get it. As a consumer, I have a ton of apps. And as my resources are not unlimited, I realize that I need to be more discerning when choosing Apps. Most of my Apps have been free, and so it’s a bit of mental adjustment to start paying for one. Of course, depending on what type of app it is, the decision is easy.

I also realize that without developers, smartphones would be completely different, and not necessarily in a good way!

I do not have a plethora of apps and really never have had maybe a lot because I'm not a gamer or a puzzle solver. The Lions share of my selections support travel to & from the few places I need to go and make life as an 'ex-pat' smoother all round. Weather forecasting is almost as critical in the tropics ( for different reasons) as elsewhere, but the Canadian App store not as comprehensive as its US counterpart. ( but better than the B'dos App store.) US based apps & developers seem to support US information as that is it's bread & butter - totally logical- so can be weak when offshore beyond the 'Near tropics' such as Puerto Rico. - European and UK based sources and apps are more world friendly generally. SO.....I normally pick an app, install and check it for a few locations. If it seems suitable and there is an upgrade trial I may grab that. Once I've used for a few days I either go the upgrade or delete all together if it's not a good app for me....here....and I'm picky that way. I do housecleaning about every 6 months top to bottom too. I also quickly realized even if in the Canadian App store, some US Apps didn't serve Canada too well either, far less the Caribbean.
And since the 'bottomless coffee-cup' culturally doesn't exist here outside the home, an extra cup over a lingering breakfast is usually about $7 or 8, ( halve that for $US or go 75% for $Cdn, that's a monthly upgrade right there.

Last edited: