Can you shower with the Apple Watch 5?

dkbllb

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know for sure if it’s safe to shower while wearing your series 5? Prior to getting the Apple Watch I wore a dive watch and would often shower with it, and it’s kind of a hassle to remember to remove the new one.

The Apple support site has a section about how the newer watches are water “resistant” and although you can get them wet, it specifically says to avoid soaps because they can degrade the watch chemical coating and seals. Obviously showering would expose the watch to soap.

The Apple support site doesn’t appear to have been updated for the series 5 and only mentions up to the 4. I’m not aware of any significant hardware differences between the two models regarding water resistance.

I know that this isn’t the biggest, most important problem in the world, but I’d still like to know.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I shower often with my Series 3. When I’m about to soap my arm, I take it off and then put it back on before I get out of the shower.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The Apple support site has a section about how the newer watches are water “resistant” and although you can get them wet, it specifically says to avoid soaps because they can degrade the watch chemical coating and seals. Obviously showering would expose the watch to soap.

Do you have a link to this? All I can find is this:

https://www.apple.com/ca/watch/compare/#mn_p
Apple Watch Series 5 and Apple Watch Series 3 have a water-resistance rating of 50 metres under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that they may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, they should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth.

I'd personally be more worried about the chlorine in pools and salt int he ocean than soap in a 15 minute shower.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn’t they say they are water resistant not water proof plus warranty void if there is water damage so no don’t shower with your new expensive watch.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't - to me, showering is to clean myself, so that means no watch on, since I can't clean myself beneath the watch when I am wearing it - but, if you do, I would make sure to rinse it well with fresh water.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Let’s make this easy. The Apple Watch, starting with Series 3 I believe, maybe Series 1 and 2, I can’t remember for sure. Regardless, around that time that water resistance was improved to swim proof. So unless your shower is 50m below the surface and you take longer than a 30 minute shower....it’ll be fine. I don’t shower with mine, though it has been in a pool.

EDIT: As far as water is concerned.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I don’t shower with mine because I wear it when sleeping to track my sleep, so it’s on the charger while I’m in the shower.

However, isn’t the water coming out of the shower head fresh water? Therefore aren’t you “rinsing your watch with fresh water” ?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why anyone would shower with a watch on. Just having to wear a soaking wet watch band would drive me bonkers. I don't even wear my wedding band in the shower. It just bugs me. To each his/her own, I suppose.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I have both showered and swam with every Apple Watch I've owned, which includes 1, 2, and 4. No problems. Shower away!

dkbllb

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I really appreciate all of the replies. It appears that there are differences of opinion and experience. These watches are so darned expensive that I guess I’ll play it safe and take mine off before hopping in the shower.
Thank you everyone!

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I really appreciate all of the replies. It appears that there are differences of opinion and experience. These watches are so darned expensive that I guess I’ll play it safe and take mine off before hopping in the shower.
Thank you everyone!

Good idea only reason is Apple does not cover water damage period. Watch is too expensive in my opinion to even chance that type of damage. I have a leather band and they don’t like water.

Pirate

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I showered with my Series 3 all the time, soap all over, no problems. I would take it off to wash the back to get any gunk off, worked fine. Now I shower with the Series 5, wear in the pool, and hot tub. No issues at all. It's made to be worn.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien