Can I choose how to upload my photos/videos to Photo Stream and/or iCloud Photo Library?

I

iMore Question

I've been reading about the differences because I don't really feel sure enough about using any of both. Yet, for some security reasons, I'm starting to think about using them, which I can use and if they are really worth it.
I read that both of them automatically upload your photos and videos, but I see PS (Photo Stream) uploads photos only under Wi-Fi, and iCPL (iCloud Photo Library) uploads both photos and videos and doesn't specify if it uses Wi-Fi only as well.
You see I would like my photos automatically uploaded even when I'm using my mobile data plan (again, for security reasons), but I don't want videos to consume it all.

Also, I'm understanding that when you upload something to iCPL it is deleted from the device. What happens if I delete it from iCPL? Is it totally gone from both places?

Thanks in advance for your answers, and please correct me if I'm not getting this all straight, 'cause I'm not really sure I'm understanding this all. Thanks again.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading about the differences because I don't really feel sure enough about using any of both. Yet, for some security reasons, I'm starting to think about using them, which I can use and if they are really worth it.
Check out the iMore Blog article explaining the differences between the two via the following link:

iCloud Photo Library and Photo Stream: What's the difference? | iMore

I read that both of them automatically upload your photos and videos, but I see PS (Photo Stream) uploads photos only under Wi-Fi, and iCPL (iCloud Photo Library) uploads both photos and videos and doesn't specify if it uses Wi-Fi only as well.
It uses Wi-Fi.
You see I would like my photos automatically uploaded even when I'm using my mobile data plan (again, for security reasons), but I don't want videos to consume it all.
You may want to consider using Dropbox's Camera Upload feature.

Also, I'm understanding that when you upload something to iCPL it is deleted from the device.
Not true. My Photo album on my iPhone 6 Plus mirrors that of my iCloud Photo Library.
What happens if I delete it from iCPL? Is it totally gone from both places?
Yes

Thanks in advance for your answers, and please correct me if I'm not getting this all straight, 'cause I'm not really sure I'm understanding this all. Thanks again.
You're very welcome.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl