BREAKING: Apple to add support for RCS and messaging with Android from next year

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Sure they will. …….just won’t work with googles version

giphy.gif

SvenJ

May 27, 2017
Visit site
Sure they will. …….just won’t work with googles version

giphy.gif
That may take a little explaining as to why it is true. It's not because Apple will do it 'intentioally'. Apple will be adding support for RCS Universal Profile, the standard as currently published by the GSM Association. That is not what Google Messages uses. It uses a highly adapted version of that which relies on Google servers, not carriers, to support it. So while there will likely be some level of compatibility, all the things that RCS isn't, that Google added on top of it, won't work. That includes things like group encryption. I believe stock GSM Association RCS has added point to point. That's one thing that SMS has never had.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What is interesting to me is this:

“…there's nothing to indicate that Apple won't keep its shiny blue bubbles for iMessage while leaving RCS messages green, just like it does with SMS or MMS.”

The blue v green chat bubble is the driving force behind the push toward RCS, in my opinion, so it’s going to be quite interesting whenever the software update arrives sometime next year.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That may take a little explaining as to why it is true. It's not because Apple will do it 'intentioally'. Apple will be adding support for RCS Universal Profile, the standard as currently published by the GSM Association. That is not what Google Messages uses. It uses a highly adapted version of that which relies on Google servers, not carriers, to support it. So while there will likely be some level of compatibility, all the things that RCS isn't, that Google added on top of it, won't work. That includes things like group encryption. I believe stock GSM Association RCS has added point to point. That's one thing that SMS has never had.

Doesn’t need that much explaining.

Apple is adopting rcs, the Gsma version that is not compatible with googles rcs jibe version.

Googles rcs requires messages to go through google servers instead of the carriers.

Still green bubbles though

Reactions: Just_Me_D

mech1164

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Well H*ll froze over, more likely this is to placate to some extent the EU from ongoing legislation. Now is this going to work perfectly? Heck no, this is Apple for crying out loud. There will be a bare minimum they'll do to have this work. Will it be better than SMS/MMS? Yep it sure will. Now we'll have to see when they decide to pull the trigger and update all this. My guess December 31 2024 @ 11:59:59. Still late next year,,,,,

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77