Best way to charge the 7+

Jcblack3310

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm coming from the Axon 7 which has quick charge 3.0 and it's a great feature. I've had my iPhone for 2 days now and the 7+ takes forever to charge. Is there anything I can do to help the phone charge quicker?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I've read somewhere that turning on airplane mode while charging will charge a phone quicker too, but I've never tried it to verify it.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I've read somewhere that turning on airplane mode while charging will charge a phone quicker too, but I've never tried it to verify it.

That's only partly true. I've read somewhere that your iPhone is only charging slightly faster but nothing too serious to even consider going airplane mode.

Not using your iPhone is a better way to charge faster than turning on airplane mode, imo.

texas85guy

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings and put the phone in battery save mode. The phone will automatically turn it off when the charge reaches the 80% range. I use it daily anytime I need a quick charge on my iPhone 6s Plus.

texas85guy

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to buy an iPad charger just a USB wall adapter that has more than 5 Watt output. iPads ship with a 10 or 12 watt wall charger and the same lightening cable that the iPhone ships with.

PDXMatt

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
You don't need to buy an iPad charger just a USB wall adapter that has more than 5 Watt output. iPads ship with a 10 or 12 watt wall charger and the same lightening cable that the iPhone ships with.
I need to pick up some these. Do I need to look for that MFi certified label?

karlywoodji

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
To quick charge your any iPhone 7+ model put it on Airplane Mode - Launch Settings App- Turn Airplane Mode ON and plug your iPhone to charge. That's it.

in addition, Control center is also alternate option to operate Airplane mode setting.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
To quick charge your any iPhone 7+ model put it on Airplane Mode - Launch Settings App- Turn Airplane Mode ON and plug your iPhone to charge. That's it.

in addition, Control center is also alternate option to operate Airplane mode setting.

Like I said before, turning Airplane Mode on is mostly a myth.

I've just googled it again but could not find anything from a reliable source, but the consensus is that charging in airplane mode is up to 12 minutes faster from 0-100%.

Personally I wouldn't call that faster since it's negligible.

CrackOne

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I have never used a 12 W plug to charge my iPhone, but kept reading about how much faster it was. I even read that it was recommended by Apple. So, I called Apple on the phone and asked two different Geniuses at our local stores. Everyone said that is was perfectly safe and was a good idea. So, I recently started using the larger pug. Last week, I read an article on one of the Apple user group pages, indicating that using the larger plug will shorten the overall life of the device. With my new phone being delivered today, I am not sure what I want to do. Any thoughts?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have never used a 12 W plug to charge my iPhone, but kept reading about how much faster it was. I even read that it was recommended by Apple. So, I called Apple on the phone and asked two different Geniuses at our local stores. Everyone said that is was perfectly safe and was a good idea. So, I recently started using the larger pug. Last week, I read an article on one of the Apple user group pages, indicating that using the larger plug will shorten the overall life of the device. With my new phone being delivered today, I am not sure what I want to do. Any thoughts?

The faster you charge a battery the quicker it's going to wear down. Plan and simple. This is a major criticism of the fast charging that some other smartphone brands use. So yes, it's perfectly safe to charge your iPhone using a 12W charger. And yes, it may slightly shorten its lifespan over a long period of time.

For what it's worth, I only notice a slight improvement in charging time using an iPad charging block on my 7 Plus. The same was true with my 6 Plus and 6s Plus.

If you're worried about it, just use an iPhone charger.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Safest bet is to just use the charger it came with. The iPad charger will shorten the life. My in-laws use whatever charger is available to them, usually an iPad charger in their kitchen, and it always shortens their battery. They all typically keep their phones for 2+ years and usually by the 18 month mark their phones are dying at 45% or holding a charge for 3-4 hours and then dying. I have never kept a phone for 2 years but my wife has a few times and she always uses the plus her phone came with and has yet to have battery issues since her iPhone 3G started dying back in 2009-10. Just my two cents, but maybe plan ahead and charge your phone before you need to. I charge mine every other night usually because the battery life is so great, but on the second day I almost always add in a 40 minute charge on my way to work to get from about 45% to about 65% or more. This is using an Apple brick in my car's AC port that can hold a regular plug too.