Best Case is NO CASE - iPhone 8 Isn't Slippery to Hold

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have found the new iPhone 8 to be slippery compared to the all metal body of my iPhone 7. I have bought the Apple OEM leather case which should solve the problem.

fridayxiii

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
For me, it's not so much the material but the shape of the iPhone 8 (+ in my case) that makes it harder to pick up. The iPhone 4S had aluminum sides too, but the flat surface made picking it up in a sure-handed manner no problem. I think the rounded sides are what cause a problem for me, hence a leather Apple case.

Jezza23

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I might be the odd-one-out, but I've owned an iPhone 5 for three years now and no cover, and no problems so far...

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have the 8+ and I can't trust something that large with a glass front/back w/o a case. I am using a nice Speck case, but sadly it's a bit thick and having trouble removing the phone from the belt / case I use. I have a silicone case coming today from Apple, will see if that helps.

Jude34

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but seeing lots of shattered glass backs already on YouTube. I know, I know glass breaks, but it only needs to happen once to ruin your day (your month, or even your year!) sorry. Anyway, I'll be putting it in a clear case like a Speck.....

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but seeing lots of shattered glass backs already on YouTube. I know, I know glass breaks, but it only needs to happen once to ruin your day (your month, or even your year!) sorry. Anyway, I'll be putting it in a clear case like a Speck.....

I'm currently using the Sapphire Blue Apple Leather case I used for my 7 Plus, and I'll likely be buying AppleCare+ soon, for the reasons you mention in your post. I love the glass construction, particularly as it allows for the wireless charging, but it is not as durable.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Just saw an article on drop tests done on the 8 and 8 Plus. They do seem to have a very bad problem with shattering. I know I'd use a very protective case, like an Otterbox.

Dark_Huntress

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I won’t be using a complete cover for my plus, just a transparent back cover. That way it doesn’t add weight, you van still see the phone and I won’t have to worry about it slipping. I love Mickey D’s too.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I think my ip8 is just as slippery on the sides as my ip7 was. The glass on the back may have a little more grip though.

I have been taking my case off when at home the last few days.

RFStoj

Sep 28, 2017
Visit site
No one seems to have mentioned this, but my new silver iPhone 8 has good grippiness. The back and even the aluminum on the sides is, to me, safe for use without a case.

Actually the GRIP is great, but when you lay the iPhone 8 ANYWHERE on a slanted surface (no case) the back of the thing just has no friction and starts moving on it's own!! I've had it slip off my desk TWICE when I thought I just put it on a flat surface (it wasn't just barely)... Even a slight slant and the phone starts moving.. it's kinda funny watching it ghost move, but I see this leading to a lot of unintentionally "dropped" phones sliding off of tables.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site

That makes way more sense than "I like how a naked phone feels in my hand" Special kind of weird right there.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Just put the clear skinomi skin on the front & back. Keeps the phone from picking up little dings & scratches, works great, have same skins on my SE. The phone is more grippier if that internal storage a word? Haven't even turned the damn thing on yet, letting it dry over night & in the AM I'll set it up.
Vinny

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
While I think the glass is less slippery to hold than the metal, I feel better having my 8 Plus cased

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t know about the ‘best case is having no case’ comment, but I prefer to carry my iPhone 8 and all of them before it as-is straight out of the box....but that’s Just Me, D...

KrisYYC

Sep 23, 2017
Visit site
I begrudgingly use a case while at work. During off time I rock it naked. Just too nice to keep it wrapped in silicone :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burningroad