back in the saddle again....Rocking the Red

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
haven't been in the iPhone camp since 4S and iOS prehistoric but have been itching to get an Apple Watch over the past few months which means I'll have to come back to the boys from Cupertino. So - when I saw the product red phone, I gleefully trudged back to the Apple Store, plopped down my T-mobile switching prepaid cards and picked up a spanking new 7 plus 128GB. First off - this thing is truly GORGEOUS. I have it in a clear Speck case because it would be a sin to hide it. I typically roll nekked on my phones but I think this one will be a collector/high desirability unit for a little while so I'm going to be careful and keep it protected.

It's been a while since I've played with iOS (even though Wife has a 6S) and it's been a slight re-learning curve. But I have been truly amazed that there is still a significant difference between Android 7.0 and iOS apps (the latter are almost universally better). Almost every app that I consider essential has touch ID enabled (thank you!) and good grief is touch ID fast and accurate! Literally, pushing on the button is enough to unlock it as well - no special attention or effort required. My Note 5 was much more finicky on clean fingers, position correctly, 30 hail Marys, etc. Siri functionality has increased significantly. I'm not ready to proclaim it better than Google Assistant just yet but it has gotten much better. Screen. I don't care if it's "only" HD and not the biggest spec star - it's beautiful. Color accuracy is dead on and I love looking at it. Hardware? It's a damned expensive phone and definitely looks/feels like it. Resale should be very solid and it is a pleasure to use. Battery has been amazing so far although I do desperately miss Quick Charge (R) and wireless charging already after 1 lousy day. Both those are rumored to be addressed in the upcoming 8/X/whatever so that's good news for Apple fans. Oh, and Apple Car Play is a much better UI in my 2017 GTI than Android Auto IMHO. Although both need Waze enabled as an app rather than having to use standalone.

That's it so far. Very different to be back on an iOS device but I think I'm going to be happy. Also very happy to have switched to T-mob. 7Plus gets better reception than the Note 5 does in same locations and the actual voice conversation part is outstanding compared to the Note 5 as well. As Jobs said many years ago, "the killer app for a phone is great phone calls". Duh?

Please feel free to ask questions, etc. Oh - I also figured out that the upgrade program via apple store is awesome. Apple Care = cheaper than carrier insurance (at least on VZW and T-mob) AND you get a lower deductable if you have to use it. Plus, as sales associate pointed out, if I want to switch carriers again, I can get whatever I want at upgrade time. This is my first time to purchase phone @ Apple Store and I'll be doing this from now on (especially now that I'm done w/ VZW).

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
The red 7 Plus looks amazing, in my opinion. Wish I could trade my matte black one in for one...but oh, well. Welcome back to the iSide of things! :biggrin:

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi!

Congrats on your new iPhone! I'm sure you'll enjoy it

How the red looking?

the best picture I could post of it wouldn't even do it justice. Honestly, go to youtube and look at MKBHDs unboxing video of it. That's about the truest video/photographic representation of it. I'd call it Candy Apple Red but with a matte finish? Anyway - it's spectacular. I really think Apple is missing out on not doing more colors anodized like that. Then again, if they're going to glass/stainless for the next version as rumored? It'll probably be a moot point.

Last edited:

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
One of the key reasons I've loved Apple so much this time around was that most of my essential "adulting" apps are Touch ID enabled. When my Android fan boys ask me why I went to the dark side it's really for the security I feel and the speed of access to most of my apps.

Welcome home!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on the phone, the red is truly beautiful. I love TouchID, I still love the news that floated around a while ago saying Apple had to slow down the new TouchID sensor because it was too fast. If you turn on Raise to Wake and TouchID to unlock you can unlock your phone in a quick fluid motion out of your pocket. I love it.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Glad you had such a good experience at the Apple store you will be the envie of all your buds rocking the brand new Red 7+.Enjoy your new iPhone and the forums .

eljunayd

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
haven't been in the iPhone camp since 4S and iOS prehistoric but have been itching to get an Apple Watch over the past few months which means I'll have to come back to the boys from Cupertino. So - when I saw the product red phone, I gleefully trudged back to the Apple Store, plopped down my T-mobile switching prepaid cards and picked up a spanking new 7 plus 128GB. First off - this thing is truly GORGEOUS. I have it in a clear Speck case because it would be a sin to hide it. I typically roll nekked on my phones but I think this one will be a collector/high desirability unit for a little while so I'm going to be careful and keep it protected.

It's been a while since I've played with iOS (even though Wife has a 6S) and it's been a slight re-learning curve. But I have been truly amazed that there is still a significant difference between Android 7.0 and iOS apps (the latter are almost universally better). Almost every app that I consider essential has touch ID enabled (thank you!) and good grief is touch ID fast and accurate! Literally, pushing on the button is enough to unlock it as well - no special attention or effort required. My Note 5 was much more finicky on clean fingers, position correctly, 30 hail Marys, etc. Siri functionality has increased significantly. I'm not ready to proclaim it better than Google Assistant just yet but it has gotten much better. Screen. I don't care if it's "only" HD and not the biggest spec star - it's beautiful. Color accuracy is dead on and I love looking at it. Hardware? It's a damned expensive phone and definitely looks/feels like it. Resale should be very solid and it is a pleasure to use. Battery has been amazing so far although I do desperately miss Quick Charge (R) and wireless charging already after 1 lousy day. Both those are rumored to be addressed in the upcoming 8/X/whatever so that's good news for Apple fans. Oh, and Apple Car Play is a much better UI in my 2017 GTI than Android Auto IMHO. Although both need Waze enabled as an app rather than having to use standalone.

That's it so far. Very different to be back on an iOS device but I think I'm going to be happy. Also very happy to have switched to T-mob. 7Plus gets better reception than the Note 5 does in same locations and the actual voice conversation part is outstanding compared to the Note 5 as well. As Jobs said many years ago, "the killer app for a phone is great phone calls". Duh?

Please feel free to ask questions, etc. Oh - I also figured out that the upgrade program via apple store is awesome. Apple Care = cheaper than carrier insurance (at least on VZW and T-mob) AND you get a lower deductable if you have to use it. Plus, as sales associate pointed out, if I want to switch carriers again, I can get whatever I want at upgrade time. This is my first time to purchase phone @ Apple Store and I'll be doing this from now on (especially now that I'm done w/ VZW).

Welcome back to the club...

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
My rose gold is rocking a red case and can pretend to be red. LOL. Welcome back. I am new....Jan. Dumped Android and Samsung. Love it except for the recent reception issue but am sure it is a temporary situation.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
After being an Android fan for 6 years, I think I'm also back to iOS for the long haul. This is the first time I've made it more than a month without going back to Android (it's been 2 so far). Now when I think about going back to Android, I almost have a panic attack. I don't think I can give up all the features of iOS just so I can have a widget on my homescreen, which is the only thing I am missing about Android at the moment. iOS is just so much more user friendly compared to Android, IMO.

lindsey_lewin

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
The red 7 Plus looks amazing, in my opinion. Wish I could trade my matte black one in for one...but oh, well. Welcome back to the iSide of things! :biggrin:

SAME! It looks so nice, although, knowing me, I'd want my matte black again a short while later! :rotfl:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77