AT&T says Apple won't sell me a phone

yamatoman

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
According to AT&T, Apple will not allow orders to be placed for people not eligible for an upgrade. I'm more than willing to pay the extra $200 for the phone since I need a new PDA phone anyway and the iPhone is the low end of the price range for PDA phones.

When I went to the AT&T store, they said that policy was that only new accounts and eligible upgrades could order. When I contacted AT&T corporate accounts to complain that I didn't feel valued after 14 years of using their service, they informed me it was an Apple policy. Absolutely asinine.

Now, it appears my options are
1. Add a line to my account, pay $40 for 30 days of service, ETF the line, pay $175.00, and swap sims.

2. Wait 6 months or so for them to get their supply chain in order.

Sigh.

Anyone have another suggestion?

BrianTuneUp

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
That sucks. Well at least you didnt get owned like I did with tmobile. My contract ends in March and I cant get a phone upgrade until august 09!

shwy

Oct 5, 2008
Visit site
You can get an early upgrade. My contract isn't up until February 2009, I love my iPhone 3G that I got yesterday.

megscd

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I just talked to an Apple Store employee 2 days ago who said anyone can pay the extra $200 for a phone if their current contract is not up. Best Buy and AT&T have different stories depending on the employee you talk to. Frustrating.

legendofdon

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
What's a bummer for me is that if you are not eligible for an upgrade you would have to pay $399 for an 8GB instead of $199 and you STILL have to extend your contract for 2 more years. That's not something I would do, purely out of principle. If I'm gonna pay an unsubsidized price, there's no way I'm gonna get locked into a contract.