Apple's refusal to allow iMessage on Android has it under Department of Justice investigation as the FTC watches

mech1164

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
And this is exactly what i've been saying since this started. Everyone is crowing "It's Apple's right to protect themselves" ect ect. That's not how Goverment or politicians are seeing this. This is being cast rightly or wrongly as Goliath squashing David. When put that way, Apple is in a pickle of their own making. I can easily see this coming where for the same interoperability Apple will have to chosoe. Open iMessage to all or provide an iMessage app to Android. Either way this is going to happen. Apple's mask slipped here and people are saying wait a minute. Funny part was RCS capitulation came cause this is what the EU was threatening Apple with. Now this move here may make Apple do what the EU wanted in the first place.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand the situation as well as the perception, however, I shouldn’t be forced to make my successful messaging platform available to my competitors, especially when the devices I produce can already communicate with my competitors.

Does Google not provide things that are only available on Android?

mech1164

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I understand the situation as well as the perception, however, I shouldn’t be forced to make my successful messaging platform available to my competitors, especially when the devices I produce can already communicate with my competitors.

While I understand that, it would have been a stronger argument if iMessage was a stand alone app just for iPhone. Apple screwed this up when they incorporated it in the messaging app. Granted at the time they were one of the first to do what the likes of what'sapp and Telegram did after. At that moment this was an incentive to use an iPhone and still keep up with others that used the SMS standard that was the only other option. SMS and MMS are ubiquedous and universal accross all handsets. Then you had the competion (WA, Telegram ect.) go cross platform so you didn't need SMS. Meanwhile you had Apple still forcing it's users to communicate with others not on ios using a now antiquated and outdated protocol. This is where the FTC and DOJ may be able to push Apple. Not saying it's right or wrong just that this is where the situation is.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
It's time for the world's regulators to recognize that not everything is a conspiracy or restraint of trade. There are businesses that create and support superior products. These companies have the right to set their standards; financial and security. Android envy of iMessage is not a reason to force Apple to give, sell or license their intellectually property. i do not trust the security and system integrity of Android phones. Too many are running outdated operating systems. If Android users want all the features and security, they can buy iPhones. I want Apple to maintain the operational integrity of the systems that support my Apple devices.
This isn't like name brand vs generic drugs. No one is dying. If your budget or priorities don't allow you to purchase an iPhone (you're not very resourceful) and you may buy one of the many lower priced cell phones. There are ample affordable (some federally subsidized) to ensure anyone can have a phone.
ite time for the DOJ, FCC and EU to stop interfering with free trade.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
This is akin to something like the government looking into why Verizon phones won't work directly on the T-Mobile network and vice-versa. Can you message between platforms? YES. There - the issue is resolved. Does the messaging have all the bells and whistles between platforms? NO.... live with it or switch phones. LOL

Yes, some standards are pretty outdated, but having the FCC involved in any way, shape, or form, is just a boondoggle. They still can't get Net Neutrality right. Fix the lock ISP's have on Internet services, throttling and blocking, favored site service, hidden fees, excess fees, etc... instead of worrying about apps working on phone platforms. /2 cents

Last edited:

SvenJ

May 27, 2017
Visit site

Yes they do. I don't see Google Messaging, the one that uses Google's version of RCS, available in the app store. Maybe Apple doesn't allow it, but I can get WhatsApp, Facebook Messaging, Signal, so don't think that is the case.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

SvenJ

May 27, 2017
Visit site
While I understand that, it would have been a stronger argument if iMessage was a stand alone app just for iPhone. Apple screwed this up when they incorporated it in the messaging app. ........
I don't look at it like that. Apple made a stellar messaging app and incorporated the ability to use the industry standard SMS to support those that didn't have iPhones. That is no different than what Google did in the past, and presently. Google Messages uses a highly customized version of RCS (not the GSM standard version) and reverts to SMS when required.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While I understand that, it would have been a stronger argument if iMessage was a stand alone app just for iPhone. Apple screwed this up when they incorporated it in the messaging app. Granted at the time they were one of the first to do what the likes of what'sapp and Telegram did after. At that moment this was an incentive to use an iPhone and still keep up with others that used the SMS standard that was the only other option. SMS and MMS are ubiquedous and universal accross all handsets. Then you had the competion (WA, Telegram ect.) go cross platform so you didn't need SMS. Meanwhile you had Apple still forcing it's users to communicate with others not on ios using a now antiquated and outdated protocol. This is where the FTC and DOJ may be able to push Apple. Not saying it's right or wrong just that this is where the situation is.

I disagree with your statement, “…Apple still forcing its users to communicate with others not on iOS using a now antiquated and outdated protocol.”

You mentioned cross-platform apps that are readily available to be installed on either an iPhone or an Android smartphone that would allow people to text as well as send and receive images and videos. WhatsApp is arguably the most notable outside the United States.

My 18 year old son has WhatsApp, Snapchat, and a few others installed and so does his friends. So again, why is Apple being forced to make iMessage available on Android devices when it is not preventing Android and iPhone users from communicating with each other?

Last edited:

naddy69

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
"And this is exactly what i've been saying since this started. Everyone is crowing "It's Apple's right to protect themselves" ect ect. That's not how Government or politicians are seeing this. "

But that's only because politicians don't know anything about tech. Or most other businesses. If they did they would be running a business, instead of doing nothing as politicians.

"This is being cast rightly or wrongly as Goliath squashing David."

Huh? How is Apple "Goliath" here? There are WAY more Android phones in use than iPhones. This is Goliath (Android) just being green with envy about David (Apple). All because of green text bubbles. So either get an iPhone or just Grow Up and Get Over it.

Android is not perceived as being "cool". That's not Apple's fault. Nor is Apple breaking any laws here. Apple is NOT a "monopoly". You can't be a monopoly with 25% of the market.

If Apple had 90% of the market, then these clueless politicians would have a point. Until then, just go away until the next election rolls around.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwinG

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
….

"This is being cast rightly or wrongly as Goliath squashing David."

Huh? How is Apple "Goliath" here? There are WAY more Android phones in use than iPhones. This is Goliath (Android) just being green with envy about David (Apple). All because of green text bubbles. So either get an iPhone or just Grow Up and Get Over it.

Android is not perceived as being "cool". That's not Apple's fault. Nor is Apple breaking any laws here. Apple is NOT a "monopoly". You can't be a monopoly with 25% of the market.

….
I am in agreement with you. In addition, I think Apple’s “trillion” dollar value is the reason it’s being viewed as Goliath. Politicians will take advantage of a situation in order to get some of that money.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I say allow iMessage on Android.

However, the chat bubbles need to remain green, just to piss off the Android users.

Xenofastiq

Dec 23, 2023
Visit site
Yes they do. I don't see Google Messaging, the one that uses Google's version of RCS, available in the app store. Maybe Apple doesn't allow it, but I can get WhatsApp, Facebook Messaging, Signal, so don't think that is the case.
This argument is just silly and ridiculous lmao. Why Google adds their own stuff on top of RCS, it's still ultimately running off the Universal Profile as well. Not to mention, considering Google Messages uses your phone number so it can handle SMS and RCS messaging, there's absolutely NO guarantee that Google Messages would even work, even for RCS. iPhones handle your phone number for SMS messages to your iPhone, and for determining whether a message is coming from another iMessage enabled phone number. And since Apple doesn't let you switch the default messaging app, then it's very likely things would not work correctly. Enabling RCS through a phone number (which btw, there are still SOME carriers who handle RCS capabilities themselves) isn't as simple as using a closed proprietary standard for messaging that allows you to message others. Whatsapp, FB Messages, and all those others have you essentially making accounts for their respective services. RCS and even iMessage ultimately use mostly your phone number to still send messages.

Reactions: scruffypig

Xenofastiq

Dec 23, 2023
Visit site
I say allow iMessage on Android.

However, the chat bubbles need to remain green, just to piss off the Android users.
Android users don't care about their bubble being green. The main problem with messaging iPhone users when having an Android is that text messaging is limited to SMS. It's an extremely outdated standard that shouldn't be the main way to talk to others simply because users in the US don't want to download other messaging apps.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It's time for the world's regulators to recognize that not everything is a conspiracy or restraint of trade. There are businesses that create and support superior products. These companies have the right to set their standards; financial and security. Android envy of iMessage is not a reason to force Apple to give, sell or license their intellectually property. i do not trust the security and system integrity of Android phones. Too many are running outdated operating systems. If Android users want all the features and security, they can buy iPhones. I want Apple to maintain the operational integrity of the systems that support my Apple devices.
This isn't like name brand vs generic drugs. No one is dying. If your budget or priorities don't allow you to purchase an iPhone (you're not very resourceful) and you may buy one of the many lower priced cell phones. There are ample affordable (some federally subsidized) to ensure anyone can have a phone.
ite time for the DOJ, FCC and EU to stop interfering with free trade.
Yes yes YES!

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Android users don't care about their bubble being green. The main problem with messaging iPhone users when having an Android is that text messaging is limited to SMS. It's an extremely outdated standard that shouldn't be the main way to talk to others simply because users in the US don't want to download other messaging apps.

Unfortunately they do care about the green bubble.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
And this is exactly what i've been saying since this started. Everyone is crowing "It's Apple's right to protect themselves" ect ect. That's not how Goverment or politicians are seeing this. This is being cast rightly or wrongly as Goliath squashing David. When put that way, Apple is in a pickle of their own making. I can easily see this coming where for the same interoperability Apple will have to chosoe. Open iMessage to all or provide an iMessage app to Android. Either way this is going to happen. Apple's mask slipped here and people are saying wait a minute. Funny part was RCS capitulation came cause this is what the EU was threatening Apple with. Now this move here may make Apple do what the EU wanted in the first place.

None of that makes any logical sense.

The eu already cleared iMessage of gatekeeper status.

Can’t wait until android users realize that the universal profile rcs that apple will support is incompatible with googles version.

giphy.gif