Apple's new M3 iMac is boring, and it feels like a rushed addition to the lineup

naddy69

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
Let's face it. All "desktop computers" are boring these days. They are leftovers from when the various parts inside - CPU, memory, spinning hard disk, power supply, etc. - were so big that you needed a huge box under your desk.

Now that everything is much smaller, the whole idea of going to a desk, sitting down and "using the computer" is as quaint as going to the kitchen to use the phone hanging on the wall.

Mobile (phone, iPad) - or at least, easily movable like a laptop - is what people want now. Apple is not going spend much time updating what is essentially an antique for the few people who still want it.

Because you can take a laptop, plop it on a desk, plug in a mouse/keyboard and any size monitor you want for the complete "desktop experience". You can also take it with you when traveling. You can't take your iMac to the coffee shop.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree completely! I have used a desktop at my job for years. Last year, it was time to upgrade, and the IT folks at my job insisted that I get a laptop. Initially, I resisted, but they finally convinced me. Along with a new laptop, I got a dock, so when I'm at my desk at work, it's like I have a desktop. But I now have the convenience of being able to disconnect and take my laptop to a meeting, or home if I need to do work there. It's awesome.

However, getting a new computer at work, whether a tower or a laptop isn't as exciting as it used to be! It's just nice to have something "new".

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let's face it. All "desktop computers" are boring these days. They are leftovers from when the various parts inside - CPU, memory, spinning hard disk, power supply, etc. - were so big that you needed a huge box under your desk.

Now that everything is much smaller, the whole idea of going to a desk, sitting down and "using the computer" is as quaint as going to the kitchen to use the phone hanging on the wall.

Mobile (phone, iPad) - or at least, easily movable like a laptop - is what people want now. Apple is not going spend much time updating what is essentially an antique for the few people who still want it.

Because you can take a laptop, plop it on a desk, plug in a mouse/keyboard and any size monitor you want for the complete "desktop experience". You can also take it with you when traveling. You can't take your iMac to the coffee shop.

Outstanding response and I’m in total agreement with you.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77