Apple Watches Worth It?

operakala

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Hi All,
In the market for a new watch and was potentially looking into an Apple watch. Are the watches really worth the money? And do you find that you use them a lot or is it more a look? Also I’m worried I’ll become addicted to it like my phone which I’m currently trying to cut back on screen time. Cheers

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,
In the market for a new watch and was potentially looking into an Apple watch. Are the watches really worth the money? And do you find that you use them a lot or is it more a look? Also I’m worried I’ll become addicted to it like my phone which I’m currently trying to cut back on screen time. Cheers
Hello and welcome to iMore. Like you, I once had doubts about getting an Apple Watch. But, in the end, I purchased an Apple Watch 3... and 4 years later replaced the 3 with an Apple Watch 7. Both are awesome, and I can't imagine life with out an Apple Watch. I wouldn't say that I am addicted to it, but I am addicted to purchasing Apple Watch bands! LOL!

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I have an Apple Watch since the original, and replaced it with a Series 5 in 2019.

The four features that I use the most on it is:
  • Fitness tracking
  • Apple Pay
  • Notifications
  • Time

It’s just there when I need it, but no I’m not addicted to my watch.

Reactions: Annie_M

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I think they’re totally worth it! I’ve had the original one, series 4, series 6 and now series 8. While I do love “the look” of it, I really do use it a lot and it definitely makes things easier for me. I mostly use it for the notifications (messages, emails, reminders), alarms (for things like medication, etc.), reminders, timers, apple pay and apple remote. Oh and checking the weather!

It definitely will help you cut back on screen time because you won’t need to look at your phone as much and no, I don’t think you would get addicted to it.

One thing I use all the time is the phone pinger! When I’m home I have a tendency to set my phone down just about anywhere and it’s avoided a LOT of aggravation for me especially because the phone is usually set on silent so it’s harder to find lol.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Yes, I found the Watch to indeed be worth buying. I’ve every one since they were introduced and I’ve not worn a traditional watch since. I use it in the following manner:

Tell Time
Alarm clock
Timer
Reminder
Pay
Check the Weather
View 2FA codes
Make and receive Phone calls (occasionally)
Quick replies to text messages when I’m in a meeting
Unlock the door to the office at work
Unlock my Mac
Unlock my iPhone
Open the gate to my community
Tip calculator

You get the picture. ;)

Reactions: Kizzy Catwoman

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I was remiss in sharing which functions I absolutely LOVE on my Watch:

Finding my iPhone (sadly, I use this all too often)
Starting a workout
Checking my "rings"
Checking the Weather
Using it for 2FA for various things
Apple Pay
Prescription reminders
Phone calls- the Watch is so handy when my iPhone isn't right there!
Telling Time
Timer
Reading notifications
Declining phone calls when in a meeting or at church
Turn by Turn notices while using navigation

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Kizzy Catwoman

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
They are totally worth the money. They are the best smart watch on the market by far. The screen is excellent and it is so useful. I use mine to monitor my sleep due to health issues. I can log it when I take my medication. And I use the timer with Siri to let me know when to eat after taking my insulin. I am also addicted to bands but since I got the Nike Peace band I haven’t changed it. It is comfy and looks good. I have a series 6 after giving away my original watch and my series 2 when I moved to an android watch. When Huawei lost its credibility I replaced that Watch with my Series 6. Never looked back.

Reactions: Annie_M

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Does owning my 3rd answer it? I've had series 2, 5 and 8.

What I value: Freedom from phone (includes cellular watch), sports and activities measurement. It might be perfect if one thinks the phone itself is an addiction.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
“Worth” depends on what you want to use it for.

If you just want to be part of the “cool kids”, then save your money.

If you want to use it for activity tracking, sleep tracking, heart monitoring or use it with LTE while running errands and want to leave your iPhone at home, then yes, definitely worth it.

sidlon

May 11, 2009
Visit site
The killer feature for me is laundry management. When I start the dryer w/ a 1hr timer, I lift my wrist and say “Hey siri, start a 55 minute timer”. Whatever I’m doing when it’s time to check on the laundry, I’ll get the silent wrist vibration that doesn’t interfere with TV time or eating.

The Authy watch app is also killer for easily glancing at my MFA keys.

I also pay for most things in stores with my watch. Easy and painless.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The killer feature for me is laundry management. When I start the dryer w/ a 1hr timer, I lift my wrist and say “Hey siri, start a 55 minute timer”. Whatever I’m doing when it’s time to check on the laundry, I’ll get the silent wrist vibration that doesn’t interfere with TV time or eating.

The Authy watch app is also killer for easily glancing at my MFA keys.

I also pay for most things in stores with my watch. Easy and painless.
I do love the AW timer for laundry and cooking!

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
For me, item one is an Apple Watch is a several hundred dollar investment in my health. I, anyone, only need one time for the AW to alert me to a substantial health issue. The money, time, even longevity of life saved would pay for hundreds or many many more AWs. Yet I see iPhone users (who have money) who hear this but say “eh, I just don’t want to spend that money for a smartwatch” — imho a classic case of penny wise, many pounds foolish.

Secondary to health:
-volume and song control
-calls and messages when my iPhone is not in ear shot
-critical work email and app alerts
-unlocking other Apple devices
-left behind alerts
-with Apple Maps, the pulse on your wrist that it is the next turn, etc.
-rare occasion compass directions and elevation
-laundry was mentioned by others, oh yea. My washer and dryer are smart, the app alerts my AW at 5 mins, when done, even if it has been sitting in there for 30 minutes.

Kizzy Catwoman

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
For me, item one is an Apple Watch is a several hundred dollar investment in my health. I, anyone, only need one time for the AW to alert me to a substantial health issue. The money, time, even longevity of life saved would pay for hundreds or many many more AWs. Yet I see iPhone users (who have money) who hear this but say “eh, I just don’t want to spend that money for a smartwatch” — imho a classic case of penny wise, many pounds foolish.

Secondary to health:
-volume and song control
-calls and messages when my iPhone is not in ear shot
-critical work email and app alerts
-unlocking other Apple devices
-left behind alerts
-with Apple Maps, the pulse on your wrist that it is the next turn, etc.
-rare occasion compass directions and elevation
-laundry was mentioned by others, oh yea. My washer and dryer are smart, the app alerts my AW at 5 mins, when done, even if it has been sitting in there for 30 minutes.

I have the tendency to have falls and if it detects it and calls my husband that is important for me. I also monitor my sleep every night and I also track my steps. For me the fall detection is really important.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Another benefit of an AW is security. After reading all the recent articles about someone seeing your passcode and then stealing your phone and locking you out of your Apple account, I use my watch to unlock my phone when Face ID fails. That way I’m not using my unlock code in public.

I’ve also added a privacy screen protector.

Kizzy Catwoman

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Another benefit of an AW is security. After reading all the recent articles about someone seeing your passcode and then stealing your phone and locking you out of your Apple account, I use my watch to unlock my phone when Face ID fails. That way I’m not using my unlock code in public.

That is a good idea about unlocking with Watch. I do that too.

Reactions: Lee_Bo

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I'm so glad you posted this, because I had "forgotten" this feature. I just checked to see if I had it turned on, and I did not! It's turned on now, and in case you're like me and either forgot, or didn't know about it, here's a link to Apple's support page, where you can find instructions on how to turn it on!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

FWIW, if the phone is locked against Face ID or Touch ID, it also can't be unlocked by the watch. Many times the attack documented in articles in there Wall Street Journal happen when somebody has access to your phone (they offer to take your photo using your phone in a bar, for example) and then do the "squeeze" of the side button and volume button to force the phone to use the passcode to unlock.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien