Apple upgrade program

turb0wned

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a question I haven’t had anyone been able to answer 100%.

This question is really towards those that gets the iPhone day 1 with the upgrade program and uses AT&T.

I am currently on Verizon and I just pay my phones full price from Verizon since I’m getting a fully unlocked phone that will work with any network anyways but I want to move to AT&T.

My question is, (since the iPhone isn’t available day 1 sim free) those of you on AT&T that do the upgrade program on DAY 1, what model does Apple send you? The same model as the Verizon model with both CDMA and GSM or just the GSM unlocked model?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like you, I typically buy directly from Verizon and just pay full price for my iPhone, however, with the iPhone 8, I purchased it through the Apple Store app, but the device is locked to AT&T. With the iPhone X, it is also locked to AT&T so it’s probably the GSM only model. Anyway, hopefully, someone who can answer your question will be along soon.

turb0wned

May 29, 2014
Visit site
That sucks, I thought the whole point of the Apple program was to skip the carriers and be able to get a phone you can go to any carrier with..

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Like you, I typically buy directly from Verizon and just pay full price for my iPhone, however, with the iPhone 8, I purchased it through the Apple Store app, but the device is locked to AT&T. With the iPhone X, it is also locked to AT&T so it’s probably the GSM only model. Anyway, hopefully, someone who can answer your question will be along soon.

But in what way did you pay for the X through Apple store app?

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I have a question I haven’t had anyone been able to answer 100%.

This question is really towards those that gets the iPhone day 1 with the upgrade program and uses AT&T.

I am currently on Verizon and I just pay my phones full price from Verizon since I’m getting a fully unlocked phone that will work with any network anyways but I want to move to AT&T.

My question is, (since the iPhone isn’t available day 1 sim free) those of you on AT&T that do the upgrade program on DAY 1, what model does Apple send you? The same model as the Verizon model with both CDMA and GSM or just the GSM unlocked model?

If you get a iPhone through the upgrade program you choose a carrier. If you get it on At&t or T-Mobile you will be locked to gsm only networks.

The payments come from whatever credit card you provide and the loan is dont through Citizens One.

If you want unlocked you either pay outright or you buy through the Barclay Apple card and get 12 or 18 months interest free.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
But in what way did you pay for the X through Apple store app?

I did not purchase my iPhone X via the Apple Store app. I bought it when I walked into an actual Apple Store. I did, however, purchase my iPhone 8 via the Apple Store app the night pre-orders went live. I selected the AT&T option. By the way, I don't participate in an upgrade program. If I don't pay full price at the time of purchase, the device is paid off within weeks of getting it. I usually hand my devices down to my kids. Well, I only have one left that's not an adult.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I did not purchase my iPhone X via the Apple Store app. I bought it when I walked into an actual Apple Store. I did, however, purchase my iPhone 8 via the Apple Store app the night pre-orders went live. I selected the AT&T option. By the way, I don't participate in an upgrade program. If I don't pay full price at the time of purchase, the device is paid off within weeks of getting it. I usually hand my devices down to my kids. Well, I only have one left that's not an adult.

So did you pay for it outright when you bought it? If you did at the time of purchase and purchased from apple, then it’s unlocked. Apple only sells them locked if financed.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So did you pay for it outright when you bought it? If you did at the time of purchase and purchased from apple, then it’s unlocked. Apple only sells them locked if financed.
No sir

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I purchased my iPhone 8 directly from Apple for AT&T. I payed full price, with the pre launch. Mine is fully unlocked AT&T model. I can even take it to Verizon. It will only work on LTE, though and would be listed with Verizon as a NON-VZW phone. Verizon will allow LTE only phones on their network now. No CDMA required.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my iPhone 8 directly from Apple for AT&T. I payed full price, with the pre launch. Mine is fully unlocked AT&T model. I can even take it to Verizon. It will only work on LTE, though and would be listed with Verizon as a NON-VZW phone. Verizon will allow LTE only phones on their network now. No CDMA required.
Okay, great. Thank you!...:cool:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnnybobble53