Apple TV won't recognize ethernet cable

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey all! I'm hoping someone can save my sanity. I've had an Apple TV for about 4 months now and everything has been going great. Friday night I sat down to watch something and the Apple TV wouldn't connect to the internet (hard wired via Ethernet). I did a ton of googling and troubleshooting then finally set up a Genius Bar appointment. I went in tonight and the guy literally gave me a new unit without any troubleshooting. I installed the new unit and I'm having the same issue. It refuses to connect via Ethernet - only wifi (which is pretty slow). Has anyone experienced this before and if so, how the heck do you fix it? I'm losing my mind over this. Thanks!

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Seems like the router is the culprit here.
Did you unplug it from the power socket and plug it back in?

So I've reset our router numerous time BUT you just gave me an idea. Sometimes our modem goes on the fritz and I need to have Comcast reset it. I'm going to give them a call this afternoon and see if that fixes the issue (none of the hardwire connections in our home are currently working - Wifi is fine but the hardwires aren't connecting right). Will update you later on - thanks for replying!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I've reset our router numerous time BUT you just gave me an idea. Sometimes our modem goes on the fritz and I need to have Comcast reset it. I'm going to give them a call this afternoon and see if that fixes the issue (none of the hardwire connections in our home are currently working - Wifi is fine but the hardwires aren't connecting right). Will update you later on - thanks for replying!

Let us know how it pans out, if you don’t mind...

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Where is your AppleTV connected to? It should be plugged into the same source as your router(s) unless you’ve set a particular router up as the device the connection comes from. For example, I have Google Fiber and their network box would be the main device except I set it up as passthrough to my other router so all the connections get made to my router instead of the Google network box.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Where is your AppleTV connected to? It should be plugged into the same source as your router(s) unless you’ve set a particular router up as the device the connection comes from. For example, I have Google Fiber and their network box would be the main device except I set it up as passthrough to my other router so all the connections get made to my router instead of the Google network box.

It is. I have various Ethernet ports around our house (built into the wall and they connect to the router). I have an Ethernet splitter in our basement so I can hardwire my video game consoles/Apple TV/computer etc.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It is. I have various Ethernet ports around our house (built into the wall and they connect to the router). I have an Ethernet splitter in our basement so I can hardwire my video game consoles/Apple TV/computer etc.

Have you tried a different ethernet cable to be sure it’s not cable? And depending on how many times the cable is split I’d also be wary that it’s split too many times to pass anymore connection around.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried a different ethernet cable to be sure it’s not cable? And depending on how many times the cable is split I’d also be wary that it’s split too many times to pass anymore connection around.

I have and it isn't the cable. None of our hardwired connections are working right now (iMad is only connecting via Wifi and none of my other devices are connecting via ethernet). I've had this splitter setup for probably 12+ years and have never had a problem. I think it's our Comcast hardware (probably needs replaced by the look of it).

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Connect your TV or iMac directly to your router. If you have a connection, connect it to the first splitter/device behind the router and go as far as where the connection gets lost.

This way of troubleshooting will be the cheapest way to replace your hardware.

BD15

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
This is a known issue. It was resolved with a previous update, but seemed to return with TViOS 11. I'm having the same issue on two units. Patiently waiting for a resolution, but I think they're about to go back to the Apple Store.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1