Apple Protection Plan

emmy2phones

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone taken out the protection plan from apple, as I am making xmas very simple this year and it seems to be an apple year. I know its early to think about presents, but is it worth spending out on this plan or is there better options out there. At the moment I'm going to be buying two itouches and possibly if my other half is good an iphone 4, but he's got to be super special.

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm paid for the protection and i don't mind (even though i haven't had to use it) because i keep my phones for 2 years normally and with the extended warranty side of it i get 2 years of service which is perfect.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I bought it on my first iPhone but never since...the only thing ive felt worth buying this for was my mac's at home, as it saved my pocket a coupe of times. The phone plan is so limiting on what it covers and a majority of the time the stuff it DOES cover would be good faithed in after the initial year warranty anyways.

Then there's always the upgrading deal too...given new iPhones seem to pop up quickly.

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm paid for the protection and i don't mind (even though i haven't had to use it) because i keep my phones for 2 years normally and with the extended warranty side of it i get 2 years of service which is perfect.

Same with me too. I purchased AppleCare in the 12th month of my two year contract. Two years peace of mind is, in my opinion, money well spent.

hobanma

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I was duped

I purchased 4 3GS's in Sept of 2009 at a local AT&T store. The rep pitched Applecare: "you can get a new battery - that makes it worth the price"

I took that to mean that when battery performance began to degrade, I could go to the Apple store and get a new one.

Not so - the genius said my battery is fine - just a little old (18 months) and that I should spend more time clearing out my background apps.

I clear my apps a couple of times each week and I drain the battery to cold iron at least once each month.

I never would have purchased the plan if I had known the truth.

smalcom

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Ditto Slyfi & John T. The two years covers me for the contract period, when I plan to get the next $49 iPhone. That's about $.29/day, and it adds Tech Support for 275 days in the first year. Seems to be a good buy to me.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I purchased 4 3GS's in Sept of 2009 at a local AT&T store. The rep pitched Applecare: "you can get a new battery - that makes it worth the price"

I took that to mean that when battery performance began to degrade, I could go to the Apple store and get a new one.

Not so - the genius said my battery is fine - just a little old (18 months) and that I should spend more time clearing out my background apps.

I clear my apps a couple of times each week and I drain the battery to cold iron at least once each month.

Those idiots told me the same thing. Knowingly, I asked 4 times if he was absolutely sure. He even told me that's the benefit of buying it at AT&T instead of Apple or online. Fortunately, I knew better but it's really annoying how used car salesmen they are at the AT&T stores.

Reactions: hobanma

xalittlegirlx

Mar 21, 2011
www.twitter.com
ya... applecare is worth it if you think you could possibly get a defective iphone or have manufacturer derived issues from it.

I have heard it sold to customers as an insurance type plan which is absolutely not true (we all know this) but AT&T reps and customers misunderstand the plan itself and don't read the fine print when they get it

Working in a call center and getting a call from a customer who dropped their iphone and it cracked or got water on it, you have to let them know "No, that thing you paid $69 for was not an insurance protection plan.... No you cannot get a new iphone at a reduced price, you can get an early upgrade though!" people don't like to hear that

They felt they were mislead of misinformed or weren't given the best information about what the AppleCare really is.

It is a great value, you get all the support you need in 2 years from apple but hey... you can find a lot of answers to things here and you avoid calling in.

It just depends on how much you value being able to take your phone in and get it exchanged if necessary or if its Apple's fault as to why your phone is not working as it should....

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
It is a great value, you get all the support you need in 2 years from apple but hey... you can find a lot of answers to things here and you avoid calling in.

Good analysis. Just to clarify though, the $69 only buys you one year of service. It already comes with a year. For that, I don't think it's worth it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

yes they will replace the battery if its bad but if their diagnostic shows its fine, then they wont. They should have been more clear with that

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
yes they will replace the battery if its bad but if their diagnostic shows its fine, then they wont. They should have been more clear with that

That is true. If they determine it's a manufacturing defect. But if it degrades along some "normal" curve which all batteries do, they won't do anything.

xalittlegirlx

Mar 21, 2011
www.twitter.com
Good analysis. Just to clarify though, the $69 only buys you one year of service. It already comes with a year. For that, I don't think it's worth it.

i was more so relating to the phone support for questions and troubleshooting issues. the warranty is only an extra year... some users find that being able to call 1800-MYIPHONE and not pay anything past the first 90 days is a value in itself. depends on the user's needs and if they are familiar with the iphone

hobanma

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
That is true. If they determine it's a manufacturing defect. But if it degrades along some "normal" curve which all batteries do, they won't do anything.

My issue is not so much with Apple but with the AT&T salesperson who implied that I could get a new battery whenever I wanted under this plan. I only purchased the plan because I thought I would be able to get a fresh battery halfway through my contract.

I can't imagine that I'm the only one who has been duped into this - the AT&T reps know what they are doing. I'm sure it helps their numbers.

It was an expensive lesson for me - we bought 4 iPhones and 4 Applecare plans that day.

smalcom

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
My issue is not so much with Apple but with the AT&T salesperson who implied that I could get a new battery whenever I wanted under this plan. I only purchased the plan because I thought I would be able to get a fresh battery halfway through my contract.

I can't imagine that I'm the only one who has been duped into this - the AT&T reps know what they are doing. I'm sure it helps their numbers.

It was an expensive lesson for me - we bought 4 iPhones and 4 Applecare plans that day.

You can get a refund for the AppleCare plans if you return within the first 30-days. Check the plan coverage booklet.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I AppleCare for my iMac , I think it's finished this year. It onlycame in handy when my 2008 mighty mouse fell a couple feet and stopped working. I ran to the apple store and got a new one. I think the applecare cost me a one or two hundred. I don't think a 30 dollar mouse was work 1-200 dollars. Otherwise I haven't used it.

I've also had an iPhone since 2008 and I've never brought AppleCare. It doesn't make sense to have ' insurance ' for multiple device that may damage differently. My i

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I AppleCare for my iMac , I think it's finished this year. It onlycame in handy when my 2008 mighty mouse fell a couple feet and stopped working. I ran to the apple store and got a new one. I think the applecare cost me a one or two hundred. I don't think a 30 dollar mouse was work 1-200 dollars. Otherwise I haven't used it.

I've also had an iPhone since 2008 and I've never brought AppleCare. It doesn't make sense to have ' insurance ' for multiple device that may damage differently. My iPhone's screen is a lot more likely to crack than my iMac screen , though things can happen ( like they have to my iPhone : poor baby's screen is shattered ). My iMac feel face down one time but didnt damage.

AppleCare should atleast cover cracked screens or chassis. Not because I damaged my phone but if someone is paying hundreds of dollars for a phone or any mobile product they should at least offer real insurance for damaged screens which decreases the iPhone's ... usability, of you will.