Apple iPad and iPhone 3.2 Preview

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Apple?s new iPad tablet is essentially a larger form-factor iPhone 3GS or iPod touch G3 which leverages both the bigger, 1024?768 screen and an updated iPhone 3.2 OS with enhanced versions of existing apps like Mail and Calendar, new offerings like the iBooks e-book reader and store, low-cost 3G data plans, and a 1GHz Apple A4 processor.

Critics have called the iPad ?just a big iPhone? and fail to see how it changes anything. Supporters have called the iPad ?a big iPhone? and feel it changes everything. Which is it? Until it ships in March (for the Wi-Fi version) or April (for the 3G version) and TiPb gets to do a full-on review, we can?t say for sure. But we can go through and preview what we?ve seen so far and try to figure out just which direction Apple?s leaning.

Check it out:

Apple iPad and iPhone 3.2 Preview

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
As I stated in another post, consider how Apple would be able to release a full OSX tablet without any software for it... Nothing is really designed for a tablet, doing the iPad is a logical first step... Wait a year or two and it will most likely mature into a full laptop/tablet device.... But initially it would be doomed to fail without the software behind it...

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Well, my gut reaction was that the iPad is just a big iPhone, and missing a key iPhone feature (the ability to make/receive calls/texts) at that. But after watching the presentation and reading the reviews of what we know so far, I'm stuck somewhere in between. I mean, I know it's not just a big iPhone, but is the fact that it's a BIG iPhone something to really be excited about? For me, not yet. Not with the first generation of the device, at least. Of course, I see the iPad as a wonderful book reader/web browser/game device, but I can do all of those things on my iPhone already just fine and with ease, and the iPhone fits in my pocket so it will be everywhere with me. The iPad does do something that my iPhone can't do (yet, maybe it will never happen) and that is the iWork productivity suite of software. Also, the larger size allows for neat tricks that just won't fit on a tiny pocket-sized device. But what good is that functionality without the ability to talk to printers and other handy peripherals? I see that ability coming in the future but for now the iPad, though I must admit I do crave to hold it and love it and stroke it, is not a device that I will stand hours in line or spend over $200.00 to purchase. At least not until it has (if it ever does have) more storage, more processing power, and more compatibility with peripherals. In other words, I want the iPad to replace both any need for a laptop and also yes, dare I say it, any need for a desktop! I know it will happen in a few years, and I see what's happening now as important don't get me wrong, I just don't see the iPad 1st Gen as a justifiable expense. Now, since you asked (okay maybe you didn't but I'll tell you anyway ;) ) I will buy the iPad when it has: 4 gigahertz RAM, 500 gigabytes solid state storage, an OS that allows for seamless transition between full-fledged apps (I don't care if it's real multitasking, as long as it looks like real multitasking), compatibility over Bluetooth with printers/mice/keyboards/speakers etc., and the ability to program for the device, on the device. Not too much to ask, eh? Oh, btw, I would pay close to (but not exceeding) $2,000.00 for something like that. By the time iPad is a full-fledged desktop/laptop replacement, old fashioned desktops/laptops will have crazy fast processors and several terabytes of storage, and many will attempt to incorporate touch screens and iPad like OS UI, and I'm okay with that. By that time, I will ignore the pretenders and get with a beefed up iPad instead (though competition will sure be fierce! I do think Apple has this one nailed though, long term).

h4rk

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
What does this mean for iPhone?

Since this is running iPhone 3.2, does that mean that iPhone will never be updated to 3.2 or does that mean the iPhone will get a lot of those iPad features?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
As I stated in another post, consider how Apple would be able to release a full OSX tablet without any software for it... Nothing is really designed for a tablet, doing the iPad is a logical first step... Wait a year or two and it will most likely mature into a full laptop/tablet device.... But initially it would be doomed to fail without the software behind it...
I agree. Without the apps, the iPad is just a better Newton. Apple gets it.

Imagine that the iPad 1.0 is to the iPad 3.0 as the iPhone 1.0 is to the 3GS. Apple get it. We can no longer remember what the iPhone 1.0 was like but at the time we thought it was wonderful.

I buy a new iPhone every year, stand in line to do so. I will buy a new iPad every year for the rest of my already long life. `Apple gets it.

[Okay, I fess up. I own APPL at $12.]

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Well, my gut reaction was that the iPad is just a big iPhone, and missing a key iPhone feature (the ability to make/receive calls/texts) at that. ............
Well, there is iCall, Skype, and TruPhone.

Actually, I have been making calls on my computer over WiFi over VoIP for the better part of a decade.

thedigitalforge

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Well what did you expect?

Dear TiPbzens,

Yes, I know that we were all expecting a miracle...a folding machine, paper thin, full OSX 10.6, 1 year batter life etc etc but that's what you get from excitable bb hype, I'm afraid. Read too many speculative articles and create too many photoshop images and that's what you get......hens teeth and unicorn tears.

What Apple have done, very cleverly in my opinion, is created a *new* market that neither cannibalises the MacBook(Pro) market nor the iPhone Market - that is why you can't make phone calls on the iPad!

As consumers, we ask a lot of Apple and it was incredible to hear the sharp intake of breath when 10 hours of battery life mentioned!! The laws of physics are unbreakable, as a famous Scottish engineer aboard "The Enterprise" once observed. The iPad is governed by these laws and space/battery technology are being utilised as best as possible.

Our view is that the iPad will not launch as fast as the iPhone, but rather, will be a device that catches on as folks play with it, see it in the flesh and more Apps are tailored for it.

One thing is for sure, it will be interesting as always!

James W Holland
The Digital Forge Dot Com

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I can't wait for it :)
Sure you can. That's what Apple fanboys do. We wait. Ninety days out, there is always a new toy. Some are software and we do not even pay.

That is what the forum is for. It is so that we can hold each other's hand as we wait together.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Just a couple more days now :D I'm getting it, at first I was on the fence over whether I should get the 1st gen or wait for the 2nd gen remembering the difference between the 1st gen iPhone and the 3G version. However there is no way I could wait a year for the 2nd gen and besides once the 2nd gen drops I'm sure I'll be able to sell my 1st gen iPad and put that money into getting the 2nd gen and the price point makes it such an easy buy. I've been salivating at the mouth once I saw it, it's going to allow me to do all the things I begrudgingly do on my iPhone currently if I even bother. I didn't even have to think about where it will fit for me I immediately knew, answering emails, browsing the web, browsing forums, browsing my pictures it's going to be awesome and allow me not to have to take home my laptop. This was my plan for my netbook but the smaller physical keyboard blew that idea out of the water.

Rick66

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
iPad is pretty cool. But right now, it is too expensive. I think that the price is too high for a device like this.

Moreover, iPad is basically a bigger version of iPhone. The difference is that it has better features and an amazing screen.

However, we have to wait till it is tested out by a significant number of consumers. Only then a proper feedback can be given.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
For some (like me), just being a big iPod Touch will be enough. i.e. those who have been yearning for a bigger screen for browsing, video, eBook reading, maps, etc. but still want the same iPhone OS experience. But I think that in the long run what will make or break this device will be what 3rd party app developers bring to the table in terms of iPad-specific applications. i.e. apps that change the way we think about how we use these devices the way that iPhone apps changed the way we (or at least I) thought about using smart phones (e.g. playing your phone like a flute via Ocarina and all the other kooky, crazy, innovative apps that have come out for iPhone- and no, I don't mean those 5,000 fart apps).

BTW, I wonder which will be the first iPad-specific fart app? And flashlight!

Whistler225

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Just being a little nit-picky

When I first found this website, I was disappointed to read where the folks who posted it called the iPad "Apple's third portable device after the iPhone and iPod touch." The fact is as many of us know, Apple came out with the first one, the Newton, many years ago. Also they seem to be forgetting about the regular iPod.... does it not rate as a portable device? It seems that would make the iPad Apple's fifth such device, if you don't count the plethora of laptops they've offered over the years (last I checked, laptops were defined by their portability).

Personally, I think it's a neat idea, but nothing really new and possibly not any better than a small laptop (I kind of like having an actual keyboard to type on personally, and the lack of ports and drives bothers me just a little bit).

Those of you who talk about being willing to stand in line every year to buy the latest greatest versions of products you already own: it must be nice to have that kind of disposable income. I'm still using my Mac G4 so I won't be buying an ipad. I suppose I'll have to be happy with my iPod touch for now. It seems a little silly to this 15 year owner of Apple products to be so obsessed with these devices that barely outperform 10 year old computers, but you're helping keep one of my favorite companies afloat, so kudos to you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmb87