apple and IBM - is that treason ?

About the apple/IBM agreement

• Jobs turns in his grave; this is a treason, given the 1984 promise ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This was mandatory and necessity knows no law

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I just don't care

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • WTF are you talking about ?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Superfly_FR

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
for those who may not know (most, I believe), I'm from one other side of Mobile Nations, CrackBerry.
I don't want to start any kind of fight here and you can count me in the peaceful guys.
Just to be clear and explain "why" this thread : If BlackBerry went (or go) with Google I'd probably cancel my Elite agreement in a snap.

What about you, apple enthusiasts ?
Do you believe Jobs turns in his grave; this is a treason, given the 1984 promise ?
This was mandatory and necessity knows no law ?
You just don't care ?

Fire in the poll (votes are anonymous), not in the posts ! :)

Cheers,
SF

Edit : for those wondering what I'm talking about : http://business.financialpost.com/2014/07/15/apple-inc-ibm-corp-corporate-tuesday/?__lsa=5682-7672

Re-edit : just in, from the Verge : http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/16/5909783/watch-steve-jobs-lay-into-ibm-over-the-years-video

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Although I voted above (I don't care), I've been around long enough to know that business needs change from time to time, and enemies can sometime agree to join forces when doing so is equally beneficial.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
This no effect on my day to day life so I don't care. Apple could partner with Microsoft if they want. Big whoop!

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Flash back: Microsoft invests $150 million in Apple. - 1997

Apples then CFO Anderson said, "Microsoft Office is very important to our Mac customer base, and this deal provides for continued availability of the outstanding Microsoft Office product on the Mac platform."

To quote JustMe'D...yes, enemies can sometimes agree to join forces when doing so is equally beneficial.

No treason here IMO.

Last edited:

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Honestly apple shouldn't beholden to past grudges or whatever. It's a good partnership. People don't realize that Jobs was pretty bitter about stuff , so Apple shouldn't uphold his past grudges.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Anything that is good for business should be welcome in Apple's book. It's a new day for Apple after Jobs, and I think this is a good step in the right direction.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
for those who may not know (most, I believe), I'm from one other side of Mobile Nations, CrackBerry.
I don't want to start any kind of fight here and you can count me in the peaceful guys.
Just to be clear and explain "why" this thread : If BlackBerry went (or go) with Google I'd probably cancel my Elite agreement in a snap.

What about you, apple enthusiasts ?
Do you believe Jobs turns in his grave; this is a treason, given the 1984 promise ?
This was mandatory and necessity knows no law ?
You just don't care ?

Fire in the poll (votes are anonymous), not in the posts ! :)

Cheers,
SF

Edit : for those wondering what I'm talking about : BlackBerry Ltd shares fall as Apple Inc and IBM Corp partnership targets enterprise users | Financial Post

Re-edit : just in, from the Verge : Watch Apple lay into IBM over the years | The Verge

Hi Frenchie!!!! Fancy meeting you here!!!:kiss:

I voted #2. I do care. But it's not treason. This left me with #2.

I believe that part of Jobs' amazing success in creating what Apple is today was his pragmatism. Yes, he stood for an aesthetic and a clean simplicity that created arguably some of the most, if not the most, iconic products of the last decade. The iPhone revolutionised the mobile industry. The Mac revolutionised how we see the personal computer. The iPod killed any other product. So, if Jobs were here today, he would be looking at what next frontier to crash through.

You know me. I use multiple devices and I'm a fangirl to none. That cost me insults and harrassment at CB. But I would not refrain from speaking my mind - people should choose what works for them and not stick to a brand loyalty just for its own sake. I want Apple to break to succeed in its partnership because it will be another victory for Apple. I won't be a hypocrite and stand on an indefensible point - purity of thought that can kill a company. Times change. Pragmatism dictates that changes must be made or a company becomes stagnant and perishes. If a partnership with IBM is good for Apple, then do it. DO IT. Go all in and be the best partnership ever. It's not that I want BlackBerry or Windows Phones to fail or for Android to crash and burn. On the contrary. The more success each one of these companies attain, the better for all of us geeks. We get better products, companies get better solutions. And if this partnership fails, I'm sure that remediation will be taken. Early.

Is Steve Jobs rolling in his grave? Nah. I don't think so. I think he's throwing a party, wherever he is. Because if this partnership succeeds it will propel Apple further onward. And I will benefit. And so will every one who is either a true Apple fan or a true tech fan.

So I am excited and I wish Apple well. And I don't see this as treason. It's not. Business is not about sentimentality. Jobs wasn't a soft little charicature of John Tesh. He was driven, ruthless, and a visionary. And as such, he would see an opportunity and unlike others, he would take it.

Superfly_FR

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow.
I'm impressed; seems the "i" (me) vanished somehow.
I mean, there's tangible "love" and "personal" outta this brand communication (forever was) and reading your comments, I can smell the Cook effect !
Not sure those who have (that's only perception, not reasoning) - say - mixed feeling about it will testify here loudly, but maybe forums here at iMore are less controversial than what we are used on CB too ;). A similar topic with BB/Android or BB/Windows will turn into 100s pro-con posts in no time ...

For the record, qnbelt (<3), I think "pragmatical" doesn't fit Jobs well. He wasn't. He was a visionary, a marketing genius, a (business) killer and stubborn to the highest level. His success was amazing, only a fool could discuss it.
But when you read his bio (I did), you realize how planned the whole scenario was. Including several postures that weren't close to his deep/real nature. But maybe by pragmatic you mean "the end justifies the needs"; then I've just wrote these lines for nothing ;)

Still : "vox populi, vox dei" !
Thanks all for your responses so far !

Superfly_FR

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Flash back: Microsoft invests $150 million in Apple. - 1997

Apples then CFO Anderson said, "Microsoft Office is very important to our Mac customer base, and this deal provides for continued availability of the outstanding Microsoft Office product on the Mac platform."

To quote JustMe'D...yes, enemies can sometimes agree to join forces when doing so is equally beneficial.

No treason here IMO.

Precisely, I remember the blizzard blowing in the room when Bill Gates appeared on the screen (and how S.J hated this moment, marketing/image wise). I was old enough and web connected already to feel it happen almost live ... believe me, it's been a tough moment. But he survived, more, he became stronger after that. That's guru power (80's context : all tech leaders were, no offense here).

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow.
I mean, there's tangible "love" and "personal" outta this brand communication (forever was) and reading your comments, I can smell the Cook effect !
Not sure those who have (that's only perception, not reasoning) - say - mixed feeling about it will testify here loudly, but maybe forums here at iMore are less controversial than what we are used on CB too ;). A similar topic with BB/Android or BB/Windows will turn into 100s pro-con posts in no time ...

For the record, qnbelt (<3), I think "pragmatical" doesn't fit Jobs well. He wasn't. He was a visionary, a marketing genius, a (business) killer and stubborn to the highest level. His success was amazing, only a fool could discuss it.
But when you read his bio (I did), you realize how planned the whole scenario was. Including several postures that weren't close to his deep/real nature. But maybe by pragmatic you mean "the end justifies the needs"; then I've just wrote these lines for nothing ;)

Point taken, love.

And as far as this forum, it is far less combative. It's all that Cupertino culture coming through the lot of us!:heart:

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
As a company, you do what you need to survive, grow and make money. Foes turn to friends (as in this case), and sometimes friends turn to foes (Apple and Google). As cliche as it sounds, the only constant, especially in the quick moving technology world, is change. Those who cling to old ideas and don't change with the times are quickly left behind. All that said, also keep in mind that the Apple and IBM of today are vastly different from what they were 30 years ago.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've attributed Apple of 2014 to a wrestler making a face turn after a long run as a heel. They're gearing themselves up to being more like-able and easier to work with within the tech industry. I don't feel as if this is treason, but, it probably would have been harder work for these two companies to do business together if Steve Jobs was still at the helm. He still carried some of the Adobe stuff with him when they didn't want to develop a program for the iMac I believe it was. But I think he would have eventually gotten over that too if there was a chance to create some new business together that was very beneficial for Apple. Enabling flash for iOS didn't seem very beneficial now that you look back in hindsight. Same applies to IBM.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
As a company, you do what you need to survive, grow and make money. Foes turn to friends (as in this case), and sometimes friends turn to foes (Apple and Google). As cliche as it sounds, the only constant, especially in the quick moving technology world, is change. Those who cling to old ideas and don't change with the times are quickly left behind. All that said, also keep in mind that the Apple and IBM of today are vastly different from what they were 30 years ago.

Companies that don't adapt will die out. Just ask Blackberry...

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Wow.

The thing with jobs was he was a great visionary. He could kinda will things into existence and I honestly don't think apple could have made the turn around they did from 1997 and could have created the iphone without someone like that at the helm.

He wasn't perfect, however . He made mistakes and he wasn't a perfect human being. But honestly, most visionaries like that aren't. They are outspoken and tend to be polarizing, for good or for bad.

But it doesn't mean that apple cannot still innovate and thrive without him. Apple needed Steve to get it back afloat and point it in a direction, now they need someone like cook to keep it afloat and on course and even take it to new directions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost