Anybody else looking at both the iPhone 7 and Galaxy Note 7?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Now I can decide between the iPhone 7 or the 7 plus. I prefer the smaller size but the camera on the 7 plus might make me upgrade to it instead unfortunately. If Apple could shrink the size like the note 7 next year I don't think most will have as many complaints.

That part is the key for me, too. I've had the 6s Plus since December, but I still just can't quite get used to the size. It's ok in some respects, but it is tough for me to use it one handed. The smaller phone would be perfect for me, but if the Plus is the only one with 3gb RAM and the better camera, I know how I am and I know I'll have to have the Plus. I wish the two phones were the same aside from screen size.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
That part is the key for me, too. I've had the 6s Plus since December, but I still just can't quite get used to the size. It's ok in some respects, but it is tough for me to use it one handed. The smaller phone would be perfect for me, but if the Plus is the only one with 3gb RAM and the better camera, I know how I am and I know I'll have to have the Plus. I wish the two phones were the same aside from screen size.

You know I didn't get the 6 Plus because I was fraud if the size. Then when I got the 6s Plus I couldn't imagine going back to a smaller screen. Then I got the SE and I just realised I could easily adapt. Now I just go back and forth between the Plus, the regular work 6 and my SE.

You adapt.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You know I didn't get the 6 Plus because I was fraud if the size. Then when I got the 6s Plus I couldn't imagine going back to a smaller screen. Then I got the SE and I just realised I could easily adapt. Now I just go back and forth between the Plus, the regular work 6 and my SE.

You adapt.

I still haven't completely adapted to the size of the 6s Plus. I wish Apple would do something like Samsung and make a big phone without a ton of bezel. All faults aside, the Note 7 is one of the best looking large phones I've ever seen. But I'm also a "latest and greatest" junky and feel like the Plus phones are the actual "greatest" due to their beefed up specs.

anon(9708869)

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Hell no, I'm not going to a Note 7 that doubles as a time bomb. I was considering getting one, but I am so glad I hesitated. I'll bet the gang in Cupertino is giddy about the Note 7 "blowing up" in Samsung's face (pun intended). A worldwide recall will be tough on sales. One can only hope that the iPhone 7 has some surprises. I'll be buying one.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Hell no, I'm not going to a Note 7 that doubles as a time bomb. I was considering getting one, but I am so glad I hesitated. I'll bet the gang in Cupertino is giddy about the Note 7 "blowing up" in Samsung's face (pun intended). A worldwide recall will be tough on sales. One can only hope that the iPhone 7 has some surprises. I'll be buying one.

I bet that next week they make a joke about the batteries. Apple is usually pretty cheeky about leaks and other manufacturers so I am thinking they'll say something like "Don't worry, we don't use Samsung batteries in the iPhones" or something of the sort.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow. So happy I cancelled my pre-order of the Note 7. Now I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering the iPhone 7 next week and then waiting for the Pixel phone announcements in October.

seangprice

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Bad news for Samsung but Apple has also had issues in the past with phones catching fire. Lithium batteries can be volatile, at this point the chances of someone's note 7 catching fire is low but Samsung is doing the right thing. The 7 is my first note, best phone I've owned to date. I've tried the 6/6s series, great phones and I'm excited to see what the 7 series brings.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
My feelings towards Samsung are well documented on this forum.

However, the New Note 7 does look amazing and even with the glass issues, I was considering one right up to the 'BatteryGate' recall issue.

I use whatever device fits my needs and the iPhone 7, allegedly without its headphone socket, will no longer fit my needs for reasons i've well documented in other threads here and which im not going to rehash again.

I doubt I will now upgrade to an iPhone in the future unless and until I resolve the other issues that currently make the iPhone 7 a suboptimal choice for me. And honestly, those other issues are only issues if I decide to upgrade to an iPhone 7, so I doubt I will resolve them any time soon unless the new iPhone is so breathtakingly incredible that it blows me away at the Keynote.

Jean Sagarese

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I left Apple for the Note 7 it was wonderful and I will get my substitute phone replaced with a new Note 7 as soon as it comes back to the stores. I still have my Apple Watch but I love the fact that my Samsung Gear S2 works without my phone being anywhere in sight, calls, texts everything all without the phone. If and when Apple gets that worked out I might come back but my S2 Watch was part of the deal I got when I ordered my Note. Never had a issue with how long my Apple Watch lasted until I went to bed, battery isn't what needed work it needs to be standalone. Right now I have what is called Number Sync which means my friends and family can reach me with just one number not the one included with the watch

godspeed87

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I went from 6+ to Note 7 for 2 weeks. Here're some of my observations :
- android Bluetooth is PITA, I couldn't make it talk to Google Now using my car(2016 Honda Civic). I tried everything! It looks like Google just doesn't care to update their protocol. With my old 6+ I only paired it once and it was done. I use Siri a lot in my car and the only way to use Google Now was via plugging Note through usb(which will activate Android Auto). Usually I have phone in my bag and I simply don't have time/too lazy to take it out and plug it in. Can't wait for Siri start talking to third party apps in iOS 9!
- stuttering and hiccups(especially in Chrome). That alone drove me nuts. I disabled like every little bloatware Samsung put into Note and it still was laggy. My wife's S7 is was snappier! Samsung put like every feature possible into Note 7, but didn't optimize it. It looks like 4GB of RAM is barely enough. You won't get lag-free experience you got used to on iPhones. End of story.
- a lot of ghost touches on edges even with a case on. I got better at it, but I still wish they released one with flat screen. Edges are really in the way. Also, there're numerous reports of screen shattering on every Android forum - as soon as edge hits hard object(even in a case) it's done. And screen replacements are expensive, because they have to re-seal waterproofing parts. I was always worrying about dropping my Note. I dropped my iPhones(original, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 6+) countless times and I never broke anything.
- software design and UI design are far behind Apple. No news here, Android still looks non-uniform. Apps that made along Material Design guidelines looks good, but still not quite there.
- quality and optimization of apps is trash. Real dealbreaker. Yes, you have lots of options with Android, but usually they're not good.
- fingerprint scanner is just ok. Sometimes it couldn't recognize my finger because of positioning. Never happened to me on my old 6+.
- battery life is just ok. Yeah, you could charge it fast and it has wireless charging(something I really love about Android phones), but it's not near as reliable as my old 6+.
- keyboard lag. I am one of those people who would feel it. I tried all usual suspects - Google keyboard, Swiftkey, Chrooma, but they all fall short behind native Apple keyboard.

I really wanted to keep Note. I honestly tried. I love camera, screen(not edges though), feature like always on display and night clock, but Apple's software design and quality of apps brought me back. Returned Note few days ago and picked up pretty much brand new 6S+ off Craigslist. I always buy phones outright, so waiting for iPhone 7 Pro is not on my list - I simply can't go back to screen that is smaller than 5.5 inches, so 7 Plus is the only way to go and simply don't have cash to buy it outright. The only reason I bough Note 7 outright was because Samsung Canada ran a promotion of giving you $200 off when you trade-in ANY phone. I brought an old Alcatel and they gladly took it. They were trying really hard to make people buying Notes, but with recall it all went downhill... I always buy my iPhones in the fall when the new one is released - you could pick them up for cheap, so the cost of yearly upgrade is very reasonable. Note is a great phone, but just not for me.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm not surprised in the least. Every Samsung device I have owned (GS 3, Note 2 and Note 3) has looked glitzy and full of bells and whistles but all fell flat after that first software update. Then I started refusing the software updates so Samsung forced them on me.
When they bricked my Note 3 while I was working in the backcountry and needed to rely on my phone, I said enough. I came back to Apple with first the iPad Air 1 and the iPhone 6. I am now on the IPad Pro and I'm about to upgrade my 6 Plus to a 7. I'm never going back to Samsung. If for whatever reason I had to go back to Android it would be with Nexus. At least they can do Android.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
To chime in here, I actually feel very much like the OP. Doing what I do here at iMore and Mobile Nations, I'm quite comfortable hopping between iOS, Android, Windows and BlackBerry. The OS's themselves have matured so much, it's easier than ever to make the switch. And that switch used to be a BIG switch. Not so much anymore.

I will say that this year, the choice for me is definitely between the Note 7 and iPhone 7. I had the good fortune to spend some time with the Note 7 prior to the recall, and I have to say it is a solid, well built (and beautiful) device. It's a shame about the problems they're having, but I'm sure Samsung will fix the problem as soon as they can.

The last piece of the puzzle for me is today's Apple event. Super eager to see the iPhone 7 (and maybe some other goodies) to find out all the specs, price, etc. At this point I'm probably leaning towards an iPhone 7 purchase, but I'll reserve that judgement for later today, or the very near future :)

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually enjoying the Note 7. However, this latest recall business gives me an opportunity to see just what the iPhone 7 is going to look and function like before deciding to swap for a new Note, or go with the iPhone. Just a few more hours now. :)

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually enjoying the Note 7. However, this latest recall business gives me an opportunity to see just what the iPhone 7 is going to look and function like before deciding to swap for a new Note, or go with the iPhone. Just a few more hours now. :)

So I'm curious did you decide if you're gonna drop the Note 7 for the iPhone? I've actually got a S7 edge and an iPhone 6s. I'm torn between both. Lol

bhatech

Trusted Member
Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Always have the latest iPhone and latest Android flagship phones. Returned Note 7 and waiting for V20 and Google phones from Android side. Waiting for the iPhone 7+ to deliver on the iOS side. Will be using iPhone 7+ as daily driver until I get bored and then switch it up with Android as daily driver.

Jason Cockerham

Community Reviews Team Leader
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have two lines so I usually run an iPhone and an Android of some kind. Both 7 gen phones will be really really good. For me, apple has the ecosystem nailed. I love that all my apple devices talk to each other so well.

Samsung hardware design is really good though and TouchWiz does have some compelling features. I think it will come down to what you use your phone for mostly.

KarmelVixen

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I thought about upgrading from my note 5 to the note 7. I loved that it came in a actual black & not a blue ish black, but it that was it. I really don't care about constantly upgrading my android line. Now I'm happy I didn't considering they have been recalled.