Annoying Emergency Alerts

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Agreed and it is meant to bring attention....That is why they are called Emergency Alerts. They, Apple and the National Standards don't want them to be anything other than how they are set up.

I don't think anyone is confused as the purpose of them. There is logic to bringing a less general spectrum targeting system to them though...as with anything, furthering the technology only makes it more useful and accurate.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anyone is confused as the purpose of them. There is logic to bringing a less general spectrum targeting system to them though...as with anything, furthering the technology only makes it more useful and accurate.

I think that the first time they go off, many people are very confused--at least in my experience. This is a feature that just rolled out to a lot of AT&T users, and the only notice about it was a popup that said a "carrier update" had been pushed to your device. There was no mention of the alerts or any new feature, when they would be deployed, or how to disable them. People just see "an update" and click OK. Then, a few days later, the phone they've had for over a year starts blasting an alarm sound they've never heard before.

Some users have had them forever (Verizon, I think, has had them for a while) but for AT&T users it's been a less than perfect rollout.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think that the first time they go off, many people are very confused--at least in my experience. This is a feature that just rolled out to a lot of AT&T users, and the only notice about it was a popup that said a "carrier update" had been pushed to your device. There was no mention of the alerts or any new feature, when they would be deployed, or how to disable them. People just see "an update" and click OK. Then, a few days later, the phone they've had for over a year starts blasting an alarm sound they've never heard before.

Some users have had them forever (Verizon, I think, has had them for a while) but for AT&T users it's been a less than perfect rollout.

Oh no doubt the confusion was there by the alert itself and why it was on their phone, I meant I don't think there was any confusion as to the meaning/need of the alerts themselves (as Jag redundantly pointed out).

mindfrost82

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I decided to use WX Alert USA, which offers weather and is great at alerts. The app can be a little tricky to figure out and its pretty ugly, but it has a lot of useful information once you figure it out. You can turn off the alert sound and options in the notification center options for the app.

When I first got my built-in emergency alert (for a flash flood), it was a while after wx alert usa already alerted me....plus the WX app gives you all of the details in the alert. One downside for their alerts is that you can only narrow it down to county, not city-level.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was agreeing with everyone that there is a need for this type of service for emergency purposes and thought I was agreeing with your logic as well? You have me confused.

PS I don't see anywhere in here where I am saying anyone is confused or am I just missing something Sean?
Oh no doubt the confusion was there by the alert itself and why it was on their phone, I meant I don't think there was any confusion as to the meaning/need of the alerts themselves (as Jag redundantly pointed out).
I don't understand about the part that I redundantly pointed out? what is meant on your part with that statement as again I am all for this type of service and don't know what the big discussion that anyone would be against it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl