After upgrade to iOS9, iCloud backup says 0 bytes, and all apps have "no data"

AndrewChang

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I have been able to backup to iCloud, however subsequent (automatic) backups to iCloud can be a bit hit and miss.

My wife's and daughters iPads backed up automatically to iCloud overnight, whilst my devices did not. A force backup (by pressing Backup now) resulted in a successful backup though.

I have also contacted Apple support who have passed me to a Senior Engineer. They just contacted me and are trying to schedule a call to investigate and trouble shoot the problem with me further.

I'll keep you all updated on the outcome.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

To all the people saying that the backup eventually worked, have normal backups continued on a routine basis?

On iOS 8.4.1 and earlier, my iPhone used to backup to iCloud on a nightly basis every time I plugged it in at the end of the day.

On iOS 9, since the upgrade, I have had 1 seemingly successful backup. But, there are still two problems:

(1) I have no faith that the backup worked properly, because the amount of data listed for each app appears to be way off. I only have 4 photos in my camera roll, but it says camera roll is taking up 120MB, which is not possible. I also have hundreds of MBs of data in GoodReader, but it shows GoodReader only takes up 23MB of space in iCloud (again, not possible).

(2) Although I have had that one backup, it has not backed up since that one time.

Additionally, to all of those people claiming it's a server issue, that definitely does not appear to be the case. That is, I don't think it's JUST a server issue. I say that because after upgrading my two devices to iOS 9 and having this problem, I decided against upgrading my wife's devices. So, my devices (which are on iOS 9) don't backup, while my wife's devices (on iOS 8.4.1) backup without problem every single night. If this was purely a server issue, it would seem that the devices wouldn't be split between iOS 8 and 9 like they are in my house.

I just got off the phone with Apple support, and the representative that I spoke with had no idea how to fix this, and was not even aware that so many users are experiencing this problem. This doesn't sound to me like a fix is imminent.

Yes, mine have. I had a back up today at 4:13 pm. Be sure auto back up is toggled on and on WiFi, plugged in and asleep.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442970590.613110.jpg

AndrewChang

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple Engineers just contacted me and asked for permission to monitor my iCloud account in order to work out what the problem is.

At least some Emgineers at Apple are aware of the problem and are looking into it.

Sukurinseba

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
iCloud seems to be working fine now. I had a successful automatic backup last night while charging my iPhone. And all the apps now indicate their backup sizes.

GadgetGuru72

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Apple just released iOS 9.0.1. No mention of the iCloud backup problem in the release notes, but maybe this will have been silently fixed. Fingers crossed.

GadgetGuru72

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Apple just released iOS 9.0.1. No mention of the iCloud backup problem in the release notes, but maybe this will have been silently fixed. Fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like 9.0.1 fixes the problem. I just updated to 9.0.1, and tried a manual backup to iCloud without success. This is massively annoying that Apple has not even acknowledged this problem yet.

Omar Hreirati

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm not monitoring mine on a daily basis. But every time I look at it I find a more recent backup done successfully.
I'm still on 9.0 though. I haven't received a notification about 9.0.1 I just noticed it's there now. I'm updating now...

aeronp

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I also have a call open with Apple where they put my iCloud account in troubleshooting mode but I've been waiting a week and a half now. They told me that from their side they could see 2 instances of backups for both my iPad and iPhone but I can only see one. They were thinking that I had run out of space but from my side it tells me I have nearly 3GB free! So I still can't backup my phone.

When you look under settings on iCloud.com it shows the backup from pre iOS9 install for the iPhone but post iOS9 install for the iPad.

Don't really want to delete any backups so gonna hang on to see what Apple say for a little while longer.

vjeanv

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded my iPad first and had same problem.. After messing around with it and following all kinds of advice.. It did the same exact thing.. After about two days it worked and I could delete what I didn't want backed up. I just upgraded iPhone 6 and it's doing the same thing.. So I'm just waiting a few days and see if it fixes itself.. Hopefully the problem is with the servers and not my device..

Smokeless Joe

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I first experienced this on my 5s after upgrading to ios9. I was able to backup after the 9.01 release. Today I purchased a 6s and upgraded to 9.02 and I am again unable to backup to the cloud. Getting frustrated, tried every suggestion I've read here and on apples site and still no luck. Hoping it pans out quickly.

Last edited:

Glenn Burns

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I am still having this problem. I have read every post on this thread and tried everything, to no avail. As of today, having upgraded to the 9.1.4 PB, I was hoping for the best, but sadly the Automatic and Manually backups still don't work. This has been an issue for me SINCE EARLY AUGUST!!!

I hope Apple finally gets this issue taken care of!

AndrewChang

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
My problem has been fixed since iOS9.0.2

I was contacted by Apple Support earlier this week stating that iOS9.0.2 should have fixed the iCloud backup problems and they wanted to make sure the problem had been resolved. All my devices (6 in total - 1 x iPhone 6s, 1 x iPhone 6, 2 x iPad Air 2, 1 x iPad Air, 1 x iPad 2) are now back to backing up automatically. Manual backups also work fine as well.

bud3225

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
OK so I'm still experiencing problems with my back ups. I upgraded my iPhone6 to the new ios9 and all its upgrades but not prepared to do it with my iPad Air2 as yet. Sometimes the iPhone6 backs up automatically sometimes not.Sometimes I can manually back it up - sometimes not! One thing I have noticed though is that for the Apps which you toggle off to not backup, they show no data while only the ones you toggle to backup indicate how much data is used. They also rearrange themselves in the top section of the info for the backup.

So here are two questions I also have:
1.Why backup apps such as Keynote and Pages on each device if they are backed up in the "Documents and Data" section prior to selecting your device? All these are maintained through this process surely.
2. Why back up streaming type apps such as Instagram as doesn't it feed straight from their server to your device?

mactracker1138

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

This issue has been an absolute nightmare for me. Once I got my 6s Plus, iCloud wouldn't allow me to restore from the backup made from my iPhone 6. Started from scratch, wasn't happy. Since then, backups have been erratic or not happening at all. Even worse, my phone was not associating the backups as ones happening under "this phone."

So last week, 3D Touch just stopped working. Nothing including resetting all settings or network settings would work. I did a manual backup to iCloud and saw that it was saved under "this phone" under the iCloud storage page in settings.

I deleted the phone and attempted to restore from that backup. It would begin the process then get stuck at a white screen with a black apple logo. It would not advance beyond this. So I held down the power and home button and the phone restarted but only partially completed the restore. Apps were missing, the phone was a total mess.

I tried to restore again and got the screen of death and same results. I needed to start fresh. As an experiment, I set up the phone as new, did a manual backup to iCloud (which failed several times) and attempted to restore from this new backup.

Same results, the screen of death and all sorts of issues if I forced the restore to complete.

So I called apple. This is shocking and I urge everyone to be careful about their iCloud backups because all may not be well despite your device saying that it is.

My phone reported the last backup today, 10/12/15. Tech support at Apple could only see the last backup made on 9/16/15. I created some more backups while on the line with them and they couldn't see it.

Off to the Apple Store. Device replaced. Genius sets up the phone to restore from iCloud and miraculously finds the one manual backup I made today. We load it up, I get the white screen with the black Apple logo and it freezes. The genius gets frustrated, takes the new phone to the back and comes back with it loading all my apps from the most recent backup. Once completed, issues galore. No 3D Touch, missing apps and the phone is a mess.

I can't say my issues are going to happen to you, but for the time being, if the numbers on your backup don't seem right, do not trust that backup. It could fail.

Senior techs at Apple tech support are stumped, the staff at the Apple Store is stumped. It's as if my phone is saving iCloud backups in another dimension and it's as if my phone does not exist in the iCloud system.

My iCloud account has been around since iCloud was rolled out. I'm at a loss as to what's going on, but it's certainly not device related.

Hopefully if this is a server issue, it's fixed pronto. You can't have outages like this coinciding with the launch of new phones. It's just been a complete disaster for me.

I've never had this kind of trouble with iCloud before. It just worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbprtr

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Mine still does not. 0 bt backup I cannot delete, 4.7 GB of storage available out of 5 GB. Tried everything I could other than calling Apple (I suspect it won't be any use) - cannot backup to iCloud either manually or automatically since July 2015...

humantic

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem on my mom's iPhone 6. I fixed it by first updating to 9.0.2, tried to manually back up, and it failed. Then I tried to delete the phone backup which didn't work and gave me an error that I could not delete this backup. I then manually backed up and it finally worked.

bob murphy

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I had the exact same problem. And I just registered to let you know how I got it solved.
First of all, what fischmanr said is correct. For some reason, after upgrading to iOS 9, photos are automatically set to On again, so if you don't have enough space make sure to turn them back off.

Here's what solved my problem:
1- Go to Settings-->iCloud-->Storage-->Manage Storage-->Select your device that you are having problems backing up.
2- Wait for the spinning wheel to finish (loading icon beside backup options). THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT (for some reason!).
3- Scroll down and click "Show all apps" (it's stupid, but trust me this is the only way I could do it)
4- Scroll all the way down, and click "Delete Backup" and then confirm deleting. If you got an error message saying that "the backup can't be deleted, try again later" that means you didn't wait enough. Let it finish loading.
5- After Deleting the backup successfully, go back to the main iCloud settings page, and go to Backup. If iCloud Backup is still On, turn it off then On again. If it was off already, just turn it on.
6- Go to the same page in step 1 again, and make sure that photos are off (if you want them off), otherwise just make sure that all the options are ok as you want them.
7- Go back to the Backup page and click "Back up Now".

It took me about 5 hours to get it done, but it now works fine.

Note #1: If after step 7 you got the same error message that it wasn't completed, just press "Back up Now" again, it should continue and finish. I got it to work from the second trial.

Note #2: If the whole thing failed, just keep repeating and cross your fingers it will hopefully work! My friend had to do the whole thing 3 times...

Best of luck guys, and I hope I helped.

This worked for me - sadly, only once!

I got what appeared to be a good backup. Then tried one more time. Got the dreaded "last backup could not complete" again. Tried again, same thing. So, not knowing what to do, deleted the backup. Started backup again, got "last backup could not complete". Uh, oh...

I'm relating my experience here in the hopes that it may help someone out.

As an experiment, I turned iCloud Backup off, then on again.
I set ALL Apps OFF for Backup. Then I did an iCloud Backup. Hmn, that appeared to create a backup.

All of the Apps were showing "no data". I just set the first app, MPod in my case, to on for backup and did an iCloud Backup. That worked.
Also, "no data" was starting to change to show data size for some of the apps.

I started, one by one, to set random but frequently-used apps to on for backup, then doing an iCloud Backup - one app at a time. That seemed to be working. When I set Pandora on for backup and tried the iCloud Backup, I got "last backup could not complete". Ah, ha!

I deleted the Pandora App and re-downloaded it. Set it on for iCloud Backup and it worked!

I next set about five random apps to on for the Backup. That worked too. Finally, I set all of them on and got a successful backup.

I'm not sure if this is coincidence, or if Pandora was somehow causing the backup to fail. But iCloud Backups are giving the appearance of working now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRizzlemeup