1st gen iPhone w/2.0 vs. 3G iPhone

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

Originally, my wife was onboard with me buying a 3G iPhone along with the increase of the data plan. Last night, however, she expressed reluctance to spend more money on what, basically is the same phone.

Don't get me wrong, the 3G speed and GPS will be great, especially while on vacation in a rental car that doesn't have a navigation system. I am wondering what everyone else thinks about the comparison between a 1st gen iPhone with the new 2.0 firmware installed vs. a 3G iPhone.

When I watched the WWDC keynote, I think I was actually more stoked by the 2.0 firmware and the app demonstrations than with the actual 3G iPhone. Of course, the new iPhone is better than mine, but will it be that much better?

I am interested in getting your opinions, as it will be interesting to see the trend of current iPhone users upgrading to the 3G iPhone as compared to non-iPhone owners doing the same. If my wife really pus her foot down and insists I keep the 1st gen iPhone until the end of my original contract (next June), I may have at least one half of the answer.

HawaiiMacAddict

EDIT: It also remains unclear as to the price for the 1st gen iPhone's data plan after 11 July. Is AT&T going to keep that price grandfathered in or will it change to the new rate (ie., the "normal" data rate for smart phones)? If so, that may move my wife to her earlier, accepting, attitude of the 3G iPhone.

Last edited:

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
EDIT: It also remains unclear as to the price for the 1st gen iPhone's data plan after 11 July. Is AT&T going to keep that price grandfathered in or will it change to the new rate (ie., the "normal" data rate for smart phones)? If so, that may move my wife to her earlier, accepting, attitude of the 3G iPhone.

They've stated that the plan you are currently on will NOT change until you change ur contract.. so buy a new 3g, and your going to have to re-up your conract and loose the current data plan.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
It really boils down to having 3G-connectivity wherever you live. If you don't have 3G then it becomes whether GPS, alone, is worth it. However, the GPS is cripple so far as we know, so it might not be a big selling point.

But other than those two things, there is no real reason to upgrade -- unless you are concerned with looking like you have the "new stuff." All the hardware in your current phone(excluding the 3G, GPS, and the headphone-jack) is the same.

I live in heavily populated area with 3G access, so it's a no-brainer for me. You should check your access at ATT.com.

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

Thanks for your responses. I am in a solidly-covered 3G area and already have a nav system in my car, so he only things I would be missing are the extra storage (16GB vs. 8GB) and speed (EDGE vs. 3G).

I'm wondering how much of an effect the 2.0 firmware will have on current iPhones. I guess my real question is how many apps will be dependent on the new hardware capabilities.

I'm currently working my way through Aaron Hillegass' Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X and will be attempting to write a few iPhone apps, but as I'm starting from ground zero with Objective-C programming, I will not be implementing any location-aware apps, at least not initially.

Don't get me wrong, but my wife does our books, and is a bit reluctant to part with our hard-earned money for my "toys" in too short of an interval, so I may just have to wait for my current contract to end. I wonder what AT&T will do for any subsequent contracts? In other words, after the current contract ends, will we still be able to get the same data price for our next contract with the 1st gen iPhone? Hopefully I won't have to worry about that, though :D

HawaiiMacAddict

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I am getting it for the improved speakers and battery life more than the 3G and GPS honestly. I intend to keep it in forced 2G mode, unless I am doing "heavy" web surfing, for the improved battery life.

First gen iPhone = 8 hours talk time and 5-6 hours of surfing.
3G iPhone = 5 hours talk time and 5 hours of 3G surfing.
3G iPhone in EDGE mode = 10 hours talk time and an undisclosed surf time, but I can bet it will be at least 7-8 hours.

I was paying $30/mo for my BlackBerry data plan for a long time, and it was EDGE only, so I don't mind paying $30/mo for the iPhone.

Last edited:

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
It is strange to me that all of Oahu and Kauai is 3G but there are so many "big" cities in California that aren't. You are so lucky out there... (not only for the 3G either!) Jealous -> :p

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Aloha everyone,

Originally, my wife was onboard with me buying a 3G iPhone along with the increase of the data plan. Last night, however, she expressed reluctance to spend more money on what, basically is the same phone.

Don't get me wrong, the 3G speed and GPS will be great, especially while on vacation in a rental car that doesn't have a navigation system. I am wondering what everyone else thinks about the comparison between a 1st gen iPhone with the new 2.0 firmware installed vs. a 3G iPhone.

When I watched the WWDC keynote, I think I was actually more stoked by the 2.0 firmware and the app demonstrations than with the actual 3G iPhone. Of course, the new iPhone is better than mine, but will it be that much better?

I am interested in getting your opinions, as it will be interesting to see the trend of current iPhone users upgrading to the 3G iPhone as compared to non-iPhone owners doing the same. If my wife really pus her foot down and insists I keep the 1st gen iPhone until the end of my original contract (next June), I may have at least one half of the answer.

HawaiiMacAddict

I think that $20 rate is going to be grandfathered in, at least that is what I am hoping for. If I could pay $20 for 3G access, I MIGHT consider getting the iPhone 3G, if not, I am going to wait.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I think that $20 rate is going to be grandfathered in, at least that is what I am hoping for. If I could pay $20 for 3G access, I MIGHT consider getting the iPhone 3G, if not, I am going to wait.

The press release from At&t says that if you get the 3G iPhone you have to upgrade to the $30 plan. The only people that will be grandfathered will be those that keep using their first gen iPhones.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I've been debating the same thing as to whether I should keep mine or get the new iPhone 3G. It's such a hard decision because of the new 2.0 software. But the 3G speed and GPS is very tempting. I think I'm ok with the $30 a month for data because I've had a Blackberry prior to my iPhone. But I would definitely pay $30 data for the iPhone over the Blackberry because the iPhone offers full web experience while Blackberry internet is watered down.

Also I hope the new $30 data plan comes with at least 200 text like the previous iPhone's plan.

emceechad

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
It is strange to me that all of Oahu and Kauai is 3G but there are so many "big" cities in California that aren't. You are so lucky out there... (not only for the 3G either!) Jealous -> :p

Being from Kauai, yes I think that is somewhat odd. Now Oahu having it, no, not odd at all. However, Kauai is a very small and isolated location, so I do find it weird.

As for the topic and hand, it really depends if you have 3G coverage and you want GPS, otherwise it pretty much boils down to if you want the newest gadgetry or not.

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

After speaking with my wife again, I've resigned myself to keeping my 1st gen iPhone, unless I can score the free iPhone from this website (everyone with at least 20 posts (with substance) is entered in a drawing for it). I mean, my iPhone will still be as fabulous on 11 July as it is today, and the inclusion of the 2.0 firmware will make the purchase of a 3G iPhone a bit more difficult to justify. I'll just wait until I've completed my current contract and see what's out there.

HawaiiMacAddict

joshboldman

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Same Issue... Found Solution

Hey man, my wife and I had the same discussion. We came to a solution when I told her that I'd give her my old iPhone. Problem solved :)

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Not a great improvement

The cool factor is what will make the new iPhone "better". The GPS will not be a great advantage for navigation because it will not have (at least, as far as we know) turn-by-turn navigation, so, although you will be able to pinpoint your location, you will not be prompted to make a turn as you are with a Garmin or TomTom device.
The 3G speeds are also relative, because many areas do not have 3G. Think about this: if you have 3G where you live, most likely you also have Wi-fi spots, and their speed is comparable. 3G would be valuable while on the road, and guess what? Most roads do not have 3G coverage.
So... in the end... if you gotta have the lastest iPhone, go ahead and buy it, but in terms of how useful it will be for you in the end, the current iPhone is just as good (with the new 2.0 software).

pink2

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
The cool factor is what will make the new iPhone "better". The GPS will not be a great advantage for navigation because it will not have (at least, as far as we know) turn-by-turn navigation, so, although you will be able to pinpoint your location, you will not be prompted to make a turn as you are with a Garmin or TomTom device.
The 3G speeds are also relative, because many areas do not have 3G. Think about this: if you have 3G where you live, most likely you also have Wi-fi spots, and their speed is comparable. 3G would be valuable while on the road, and guess what? Most roads do not have 3G coverage.
So... in the end... if you gotta have the lastest iPhone, go ahead and buy it, but in terms of how useful it will be for you in the end, the current iPhone is just as good (with the new 2.0 software).

I agree with this, and I think that if you wait a while longer (RUMOR has it) that there MIGHT be a better hardware upgrade than what was announce for this one. I have read that Apple does major release every other year, so next year the phone should be even better and the 2.0 software takes care of most of the upgrades so you will have more on your current phone.

BillPetro

Jun 9, 2008
www.billpetro.com
I too am considering the differences between the two.

The added issue for me is that I did not buy my iPhone until September of last year. Does this mean I am as of yet "unqualified" for the upgrade price?

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
I too am considering the differences between the two.

The added issue for me is that I did not buy my iPhone until September of last year. Does this mean I am as of yet "unqualified" for the upgrade price?

Check your account online, but anyone with a current iPhone plan is eligible for the upgrade pricing. I'm hoping they keep that policy when they announce the iPhone 3g Pro with 32gb at Christmas. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnnybobble53