New SIM for iPhone 6

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought my iPhone 6 outright from the Apple Store (the unlocked T-Mobile model). When I put the SIM from my 5S into the 6, I got a message about going to the AT&T store to get a new SIM in order to take advantage of all the features. From what I could tell, everything was functional (LTE, phone calls, texts, etc).

I was at the mall yesterday so stopped by AT&T to get a new SIM. The sales people there seemed confused and didn't know why I would need to do that. They went ahead and gave me a new SIM just in case.

Does anyone know why I needed to do this? What "feature" can I use now?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless it somehow detected that you were using a newer device, I don't know what to tell you.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Unless it somehow detected that you were using a newer device, I don't know what to tell you.

I don't think it detected the 6 because when he looked at my profile, it still showed my 5S, but everything worked fine for me with the 5S sim, so not sure what the difference is.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Nfc probably won't work. IE: Apple pay. Have you tried it with your 5s sim?
Apple's secure enclave within the phone likely renders that moot. As noted in the other thread where you brought this up... there is no physical need for a special sim for NFC beyond some sort of "secure" data storage that the iPhone hardware does already.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm researching this right now. If you're right I'll correct myself. But in my past experience. You have to have an nfc capable SIM card. Maybe it's different between Apple and android. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nfc is built into the phone. I've never heard of an Nfc enabled SIM card. I've heard of NFC enabled SD Cards. Are you getting those confused?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm researching this right now. If you're right I'll correct myself. But in my past experience. You have to have an nfc capable SIM card. Maybe it's different between Apple and android. Is this true?
As I said in the other thread... if this were indeed an issue, it would have been HUGE news... it's not. That should be indicative of something.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Apparently it's not the issue you think it is... if it were, more than just you would be talking about it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77