Question about upgrading

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I have 4 lines on AT&T. One line is off contract and the other three including the line I use are still on contract. I wanted to upgrade the off contract line and go with the neXT pay off plan for the next iPhone 6. When I transfer the phone to my line being still on contract, what do I do with the current phone I have? Do I get a etf for not using my current phone? Does the phone have to stay on the current account?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That depends on you. If you don't plan to use your current line then yes, it may benefit you to pay the ETF. If you're a parent or an older sibling, could one of your kids, if applicable, or a younger sibling use the current line, especially if you're on a shared data plan of some sort? You can also transfer responsibility of the current line to someone else.

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info, the lines won't change all the lines will be the same. I guess my question is about the phone I am currently using, once I upgrade the phone on the only line off contract to get the new phone, then move the phone to my line that is still on contract ( just being a sim swap) what do I do with the phone I currently have on my line once u move the new phone over?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info, the lines won't change all the lines will be the same. I guess my question is about the phone I am currently using, once I upgrade the phone on the only line off contract to get the new phone, then move the phone to my line that is still on contract ( just being a sim swap) what do I do with the phone I currently have on my line once u move the new phone over?

My reply above was the response to your question.

1. You can keep the phone
2. You can pay the ETF and then sell the phone
3. You can give it to a sibling or a child, if applicable.
4. You can transfer responsibility of it to someone else.

Having said that, you said that you wanted to get a device on a line that was off-contract. In other words, you would have a total of 4 lines. Unless you pay the ETF in advance of getting the new device, you will have 4 separate phone numbers - 1 for each device. However, you want to take the SIM card from your current device and use it in the phone you plan to purchase. Right? Well, your options on what you can do with your current device after you swapped SIMs are listed above.

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I feel like my question was answered. I just wanted to make sure I won't get charged for the full price of the phone currently on contract if I move the new phone over.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2