How to Multi-Quote?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
So what's the deal with multi-quoting within a single reply? This seems more complex than it needs to be and I wonder if I'm missing something. I wanted to reply to this comment, which itself quoted another comment:

aRpN5.png

But when I click Quote, my reply box only includes D's comment.

TI7tg.png

Is there an easier way include the comment that HE was replying to as well? I ended up using the multi-quote feature, but that meant finding the original comment--on another page--before being able to reply.

What am I missing? This sometimes really slows down my commenting, and even means that I occasionally don't respond to something I otherwise would have.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
There's another button on the "quote line" that is the multi-quote button. Clicking it toggles between "+ and "- which appears to alter the way the "QUOTE function works... haven't figured it all out, but been playing with it a bit...

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Right, that's the one I used. But to use it, you need to go to each post that you want to include in your multi-quote, ticking off that button, before finally replying--which is a pain when the posts are on multiple pages of a thread.

It would be much easier (and much more intuitive) if hitting Quote actually included everything in the comment we're replying to.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So what's the deal with multi-quoting within a single reply? This seems more complex than it needs to be and I wonder if I'm missing something. I wanted to reply to this comment, which itself quoted another comment:

Click to view quoted image

But when I click Quote, my reply box only includes D's comment.

Click to view quoted image

Is there an easier way include the comment that HE was replying to as well? I ended up using the multi-quote feature, but that meant finding the original comment--on another page--before being able to reply.

What am I missing? This sometimes really slows down my commenting, and even means that I occasionally don't respond to something I otherwise would have.

There's another button on the "quote line" that is the multi-quote button. Clicking it toggles between "+ and "- which appears to alter the way the "QUOTE function works... haven't figured it all out, but been playing with it a bit...

You mean like this? ;)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just did it via my iPhone. All I did was select the "+ symbol for the two quotes I wanted to reply to and then i selected " QUOTE for the last person I quoted and typed my reply.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You mean like this? ;)

And here is the problem!^^

Example: I'm on page 10 of a thread and want to reply to a comment you just posted; your comment quotes a post from page 3 of the thread.

If I click Quote, I only get YOUR comment in my post (see this very reply). To get your comment AND the one you quoted, I have to go to page 3 and click the + on the comment you quoted and then go back and reply to your post.

As you can see, this quickly gets out of hand for quoting many comments in one post. Much easier to simply have the Quote key include any quotes that are part of the post being replied to. That way we get the full context of the conversation, not one quote pulled out of many.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess no one else finds it inconvenient to go through pages of posts to find all the relevant quotes? Oh well, maybe I can just start using copy/paste, even if it means losing the post links.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I see what you're saying. When you quote someone, you want that person's quote and any other content in the post of the person to whom you are quoting. I hope that came out right. :D. For example, if you want to quote a reply that I made in reference to something Pink posted, you would like Pink's post automatically included.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I see what you're saying. When you quote someone, you want that person's quote and any other content in the post of the person to whom you are quoting. I hope that came out right. :D. For example, if you want to quote a reply that I made in reference to something Pink posted, you would like Pink's post automatically included.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Exactly.

I guess I'm just surprised it's not that way by default--one would imagine that, the majority of the time, people would like to include the whole conversation instead of one quote pulled out of context.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Exactly.

I guess I'm just surprised it's not that way by default--one would imagine that, the majority of the time, people would like to include the whole conversation instead of one quote pulled out of context.

I wonder if a "quote the entire post" function (or something to that effect) could be added for our convenience?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strawberrymelon