10.10 Install Observations

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
So I am typing this on my 13inch Macbook Pro Retina with a fresh install of 10.10 ... So far I love the look however it is a very rough beta, pretty sluggish and for the first time I can actually feel heat and hear my little fan whirling as I download the iOS beta. I am sure they will get the kinks worked out over the coming weeks however I think they are off to a great start. One thing that I did notice is that if I set my display resolution to anything other than Optimal for Retina text becomes to small to read. It wasn't this way with Mavericks.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
So I am typing this on my 13inch Macbook Pro Retina with a fresh install of 10.10 ... So far I love the look however it is a very rough beta, pretty sluggish and for the first time I can actually feel heat and hear my little fan whirling as I download the iOS beta. I am sure they will get the kinks worked out over the coming weeks however I think they are off to a great start. One thing that I did notice is that if I set my display resolution to anything other than Optimal for Retina text becomes to small to read. It wasn't this way with Mavericks.

I installed 10.10 on my 11" MBA & I noticed the resolution thing too. As far as it being sluggish & you Mac overheating, I haven't had any of those issues. The look is beautiful & it feels like a pretty solid beta so far...I'm really enjoying it.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Only issue I've noticed so far is that I can't log-in to iMessage. Past that, it's actually running pretty well for me...MBP Retina, 15inch.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I installed it on an older MacBook (2010 unibody, 2.4 ghz dual core w 4gb RAM and 250gb SSD). I have not really noticed “sluggish”. The wifi thing seems to happen with each new release. I think it took several betas of Mavericks to sort out. Not sure why this is, but it does seem to happen with each new release.

I have not noticed any heat issues, either. I find the overall performance to be pretty solid for an initial beta. Still getting used to the “flat” look, but I am starting to like it.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I ran it for like 5 minutes. Fusion doesn't work and I use it from time to time. I tried to enable TRIM support for a non-Apple SSD and it failed miserably. Hosed my machine upon reboot. Not a big deal. I had an excellent time machine backup.

I unfortunately didn't get a chance to run through it.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Only issue I've noticed so far is that I can't log-in to iMessage. Past that, it's actually running pretty well for me...MBP Retina, 15inch.

I haven't had an issue but I think it's because I was logged in prior to installing. So far it's pretty good & all non-iPhone SMS has been coming through with no problem. I hope you're able to get it working soon:)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I just saw this on AppleInsider concerning the apparent sluggishness. Not sure if it’s what you’re experiencing or not, but here is what they said:
Overall, OS X Yosemite sits in an uncanny valley between its more detailed heritage and the spartan adornment of iOS under Jony Ive. Some icons have an odd mix of flat and three-dimensional elements, for instance, and new form control animations — such as the new slide/blink combination when switching radio buttons — are slow and give an impression of lag in the operating system.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/03/first-look-apples-new-aesthetic-for-os-x-yosemite

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had an issue but I think it's because I was logged in prior to installing. So far it's pretty good & all non-iPhone SMS has been coming through with no problem. I hope you're able to get it working soon:)

Yes I have noticed that text messages are now working in iMessage ... Super cool feature, IMO this feature alone is worth the upgrade. This was one of the only things that I missed about android, this feature rocks! Now if the phone call feature would work.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes I have noticed that text messages are now working in iMessage ... Super cool feature, IMO this feature alone is worth the upgrade. This was one of the only things that I missed about android, this feature rocks! Now if the phone call feature would work.

Agreed!!!

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
iMessage notifications are flakey, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't for me. Overall my system has stabilized, however only showing 5 hours remaining on battery life with 100% Battery, perhaps I will let it run to empty to recalibrate.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I just finished installing XX on my 2009 unibody plastic macbook, and I tried to do the scaled resolution, but the text change for me. But, I do notice that iTunes is still the last version. Does it just not come with the current dev preview?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I just finished installing XX on my 2009 unibody plastic macbook, and I tried to do the scaled resolution, but the text change for me. But, I do notice that iTunes is still the last version. Does it just not come with the current dev preview?

Apparently there is no new build for Yosemite. Version 11.2.2 is it.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love the new Spotlight functionality. In addition to the user experience, Apple is locking Google out of the process.

First of all, it appears that Bing is the new default search engine. Google loses.

Secondly, the Spotlight search stuff is coming from Apple IPs, and the meta data that Google can collect IF a search happens to get to Google will contain Apple’s information, not yours or mine. Since Google feeds on data, again, Google loses.

It’s exactly how Siri works. If you query Siri which ultimately results in a web search, if Google search is involved, all they see is Apple. Elegant solution to starve the data feed to Google.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I can't seem to get non iphone messages through. Did you have to do something specific?

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site

Call feature works - but I could not transfer the call from one to the other

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77