SD card slot

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What do you think of it being on an iPad. Now before you go screaming "Its very un-apple like" Take a look at the current mac line up. The MBA 13", the MBP 13" and 15", mac mini and iMac all have SD card slots. This was a huge request, otherwise why would they have added them? Its a lot better then hooking up a cable.

I think its great for those who want to import their photos on the iPad. This could open a whole new positivity including a possible iPhoto for ipad. (iPhoto 2011 already has full screen views and the black iOS like bar on the bottom)

and if people want to store files, so what? Not everyone has jumped on the bandwagon of online file storage and you can't force them to. I could see Apple designing it so it will only recognize photos.

The iPad is already like a mini computer. A multimedia device, so it makes sense adding an SD card slot so lets say you are on vacation and took a bunch of photos you can just add them to your photo library and even upload them to your social network service and then just sync them with your computer once you get home.

but saying its very "un Apple" like is nonsense, when most of the macs Apple sales have SD card slots.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be cool, but Apple seems to like keeping the iPad and iOS devices simple. I can't imagine them adding one, but it would be cool if they did. I mean they even went as far as to blocking some of the things people were doing with the camera connection kit with 4.2.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be cool, but Apple seems to like keeping the iPad and iOS devices simple. I can't imagine them adding one, but it would be cool if they did. I mean they even went as far as to blocking some of the things people were doing with the camera connection kit with 4.2.

If you watch the keynote for the second generation touch, you can clearly see jobs was not too happy with introducing volume controls on the touch.

"now..... this has been the number one request we have gotten and we have integrated volume controls on the side and we think..... this will make people... a lot happier..... "

not those exact words, but you get the point.

If the demand is high enough they will add it. The iPad can already act as a photo frame, why not take it one step further and allow you to show off photos from an SD card?

I can see the mute switch/screen lock option coming soon, thats if enough people are not stubborn

wiggy1

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
An SD card makes sense when a person wants expansion capability, but doesn't support Apple's business model of having a few flavors of a device with different storage capacities and price points. So, having an SD card potentially eats into Apple's bottom line. However, I think it would be greet since almost all mobile devices have an SD card slot of some size. One thing to keep in mind though is that an SD curt slot would take additional power to run and reduce the awsome battery life on the iPad.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
An SD card makes sense when a person wants expansion capability, but doesn't support Apple's business model of having a few flavors of a device with different storage capacities and price points. So, having an SD card potentially eats into Apple's bottom line. However, I think it would be greet since almost all mobile devices have an SD card slot of some size. One thing to keep in mind though is that an SD curt slot would take additional power to run and reduce the awsome battery life on the iPad.

but yet its on the maca and battery life seems fine on there.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The problem is not that it is "un-Apple-like" but that it is un 'iP-- like." If one wants SD and other interfaces buy a MacBook Air. I have and a I love it. However, if one wants a stable system with a simple and reliable interface buy and iPod.iPad/iPhone. After fifty years, the industry has failed to produce a system that it is both open and secure.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The problem is not that it is "un-Apple-like" but that it is un 'iP-- like." If one wants SD and other interfaces buy a MacBook Air. I have and a I love it. However, if one wants a stable system with a simple and reliable interface buy and iPod.iPad/iPhone. After fifty years, the industry has failed to produce a system that it is both open and secure.

Blame the hackers.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Blame the hackers.
Well, I blame the hackers for a lot but not for this.

After more than fifty years in the computer business and almost that many in computer security, I am forced to the conclusion that it is an over-constrained problem; there is no real-world solution. Some open systems are a little bit better than others but they all leak.

I am grateful to Steve for having the courage to offer an alternative to open systems. Keep in mind that even the iPhone/iPod/iPad are no longer completely closed. Eventually I expect them to leak too. In the meantime, they are not making things worse.

Fred Cohen points out that in a world of application-only systems we would enjoy most, but not all, of the advantages of the general purpose computer. It is clear that no such world is possible but my iPad is an application-only appliance running only purpose-built applications. It is a great option to have.

Now as to the hackers, Ray Kurzweil has predicted that by the end of the century perhaps as much as half of our capacity will be consumed resisting attacks. That did not have to happen. It happened because we gave computers to children who pissed in the sand-pile.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I think it is an awesome edition from Apple to give the SD card slot.
Perhaps it would be. However, it breaks the model.

On the day of first delivery, the IBM AS/400 was extraordinarily secure. It was almost completely closed. It did not even offer procedural programming. Over a generation it has been opened to more and more things. These include procedural programming, the Internet, and web applications. These changes have made it more vulnerable. On the other hand, properly configured and operated, it is still the most secure general-purpose openly-marketed system available.

Can Steve open the iPad to external storage while still resisting contamination and leakage? Perhaps, but it will not be easy.

Murray's First Law of Security is "Be careful what you ask for, you might get it."

Last edited:

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps it would be. However, it breaks the model.

On the day of first delivery, the IBM AS/400 was extraordinarily secure. It was almost completely closed. It did not even offer procedural programming. Over a generation it has been opened to more and more things. These include procedural programming, the Internet, and web applications. These changes have made it more vulnerable. On the other hand, properly configured and operated, it is still the most secure general-purpose openly-marketed system available.

Can Steve open the iPad to external storage while still resisting contamination and leakage? Perhaps, but it will not be easy.

Murray's First Law of Security is "Be careful what you ask for, you might get it."

See the way I see it is, they allow it on the mac, so the argument of it being very "un-apple like" can be thrown out the window. The iPad doubles as a picture frame.

I don't see why not. while Apple is still closed on somethings, they are a lot more open, then lets say 6-8 years ago. Plus they could make it so the SD card slot can only read pictures.

but somehow I think a SD card slot could open up to a whole new set of apps. (Like I said, iPhoto for iPad)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
See the way I see it is, they allow it on the mac, so the argument of it being very "un-apple like" can be thrown out the window. The iPad doubles as a picture frame.

I don't see why not. while Apple is still closed on somethings, they are a lot more open, then lets say 6-8 years ago. Plus they could make it so the SD card slot can only read pictures.

but somehow I think a SD card slot could open up to a whole new set of apps. (Like I said, iPhoto for iPad)
Perhaps there are ways to do this without breaking the model. For example, as you suggest, they could put an application programming interface (API) over it that expects and accepts only photos. Imagine the screams of outrage. History tells us that carefully crafted photos can conceal executable procedures. History tells us that one man's data is another's program; it became so when the industry abandoned the Aiken architecture for the von Neumann.

"Y'all be ca'full, heah.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

Apple has three models, Apple, Mac, and iOS. The Mac model is open, while the iOS model is closed. It is not un-Apple to include SD slots in Macs but it would be un-Apple to include them in iOS. It is called "Horses for courses."

mtnmedic

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
An SD card slot for the iPad is a no-brainer. Not sure why they didn't put one in to begin with, despite the internal storage and desire to keep the device clean and simple. The camera connection kit seems bulky and contrived, but it is what it is and I'm happy to have it. No need for USB support but an SD slot would've been cool. It's the ONLY thing I miss on the iPad right now.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Your right about it being clean. That was one of the goals on the first generation iPod touch. Many wanted that physical volume controls, so they added it. You can tell jobs didn't really want to when he introduced the second generation.

But like I said, if your going to target a product that can act as a photo frame, why not take it all the way up and support SD?

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I guess they left the SD card option for the upcoming models. And I hope that it is just not SD but an option for Compact Flash as well. Most high end DSLRS use compact flash. Mine does.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Steve never said "no" to a SD card slot.

and hes not god. So don't treat him like one.
Nothing happens at Apple without Steve says. If it is the "no brainer" that you seem to think and it did not happen, I presume to infer that Steve has spoken.

"God" is your word, not mine. That said, a man who has made me the money and given me the toys that Steve has given me over the last decade is at least a demigod in my book.:)

Since it seems important to you, I hope you get it. However, the closed iOS model is important to me. Indeed, I think that it is essential to the success of the iPhone/iPod/iPad. If opening the system is the price of external storage, I hope that you do not get it. As I said before, be careful what you ask for; you might get it.

For those who really want an open system, Steve has a product for you too. I can really recommend the MacBook Air. Since I got the small one, I have to use a USB card reader for my SD cards but that is a small price to pay.

Last edited:

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Like I said, Steve never said anything about the SD card slot. Your just placing words in his mouth like always.

anmd I could care less if there is one, but I do care when people start to post stuff that is clearly not true,.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4