Any tips on buying a used iPad?

p08757

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Guys -- I'm new to this site, and am looking to buy a used 3G iPad from craigs list or similar site. I wanted to ask a few questions about what to look out for.

#1. Most of my devices have been from Verizon which is a CDMA based network. I've always had to check the ESN to make sure it was clear before I bought a phone from someone. Do I have to look out for any thing like this with a GSM based network device? Or is it as simple as buying a new micro SIM card?

#2. Is resetting the OS as simple as connecting this thing to iTunes and doing a system restore? Will this un-jail break an iPad? I want to start out with a fresh OS.

#3. Anything else I should check for on a used iPad before I buy a used one?

Thanks in advance! I hope to be the owner of a new (to me) iPad as soon as I find an appropriate seller.

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
yes you need to get a dedicated AT&T sim card for an iPad (assuming you buy the 3G version)

Yes it is a simple as plug in and restore, yes it will remove Jailbreaking (but its easy to put back on)

actually touch the iPad before you buy, check for scratches and cracks, make sure it turns on, make sure all hardware buttons work, and lastly make sure the touch screen is still responsive.

also check for signs of water damage, and inquire if the warranty is still valid (which seeing as the iPad hasn't been out for a year it should be)

good luck and make sure its what you want before you hand your money over (please don't get scammed)

Reactions: p08757

p08757

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I do plan on getting the 3G version. If it comes with a SIM card already, should I keep that one, our should I go to an AT&T store and get a new one before I activate the 3G service?

How do I check for water damage?

lorin.bute

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Just check if everything works as it should. The buttons, the screen, the speakers, wifi, bluetooth, 3g, headphones and the microphone. I would check the battery as well but that's kind of difficult to do.

I asked the same question on this forum before buying my used ipad (nobody answered though) and i bought it in the end. The first charge wouldn't go over 70% and i got scared that the battery wasn't in top shape but after a while everything was OK, it managed to reach 100%.

Restoring a version of iOS from iTunes will unjailbreak it for sure.

davidabraham

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
A local seller has a jailbroken 32GB wifi version for $600 and I figured I'd take a look.

They have all the original packaging and cables. I don't need it to be jailbroken so I figure that all they need to do is just reset it in order to have it backi to it's factory settings.

If i want to add Applecare will i need anything other than the iPad.

is there anything I should be wary of

David Abraham

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
A local seller has a jailbroken 32GB wifi version for $600 and I figured I'd take a look.

They have all the original packaging and cables. I don't need it to be jailbroken so I figure that all they need to do is just reset it in order to have it backi to it's factory settings.

If i want to add Applecare will i need anything other than the iPad.

is there anything I should be wary of

David Abraham

Other than why would you pay 600 for something that is 599 in stores?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Guys -- I'm new to this site, and am looking to buy a used 3G iPad from craigs list or similar site. I wanted to ask a few questions about what to look out for.

#1. Most of my devices have been from Verizon which is a CDMA based network. I've always had to check the ESN to make sure it was clear before I bought a phone from someone. Do I have to look out for any thing like this with a GSM based network device? Or is it as simple as buying a new micro SIM card?

#2. Is resetting the OS as simple as connecting this thing to iTunes and doing a system restore? Will this un-jail break an iPad? I want to start out with a fresh OS.

#3. Anything else I should check for on a used iPad before I buy a used one?

Thanks in advance! I hope to be the owner of a new (to me) iPad as soon as I find an appropriate seller.

If you live in a state with sales tax, you may want to consider Macmall.com.

Powermax.com even has a 10 dollar discount Join The Bolt & Save $10 Now! | PowerMax, tax free, free shipping.

The tax savings might equal any discount you're getting on an used ipad. But this way, its a new ipad.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2