What do YOU use for a screen protector?

Mittens the kittens

May 1, 2010
Visit site
When i had purchased my Ipad at Best Buy they offered the zagg shield but i have this odd theory that anything liquid and electronics are not to be in a 5 mile radius of one another. So i am on a quest for a screen protector and saw an anti glare one from BoxWave. Anyone have any recommendations?

ugahairydawgs

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Saran wrap.

All joking aside. I use nothing but Zagg shields on my cell phones and such and have never had anything resembling a problem with the application fluid.

When you are installing it you only put a thin layer of fluid on the screen.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm not planning to use one on the iPad, but if I did it would be this one:

iPad Crystal Film - iPad Accessories - Power Support USA

I used them on the iPhone 2G and 3G and it was great. Zagg is good for protecting the back but it's way too rubbery for the screen, your finger won't glide like on the glass. It also has a nasty orange peel effect which is terrible to look through.

This is what I have on my ipad and it works great. After a weekend of playing with our ipads, mine looks pretty good and the wife's ipad is just covered with fingerprints.

She wound up ordering the crystal film this morning.... :D

Is this one anti-glare as well? I didn't see any mention on their website.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I've had good luck with the Power Support anti-glare film for my iPhone, but it was a whole different story trying to apply it to my iPad. See here.

The Zagg product does have a slight orange-peel type of effect. I have one on my iPad now. I don't notice it when my iPad is turned on, so it's not that bad. I would just go naked but for the smudges and fingerprints.

I've heard good things about Clear-Coat -- here's a video of their installation process. Very thorough.

walker007

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple is reportedly removing iPhone, iPod, and MacBook screen protectors from its online and retail stores, just a couple of weeks before the iPad hits the stand. Apple has yet to reveal the reason it is pulling protective products from its shelves. A popular speculation is that Apple wants to promote the idea that its product's screens are sturdy enough that they don't need to be protected.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I use the Apple case to protect the entire device.

For direct contact, I prefer to use a naked device, as JOBS intended.

GinoDotCom

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
After seeing a few YouTube videos on how sturdy the screen is, I'm convinced I don't need a screen protector. I have my Apple case and the screen is REALLY scratch proof, why do we still need a screen protector?

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
After seeing a few YouTube videos on how sturdy the screen is, I'm convinced I don't need a screen protector. I have my Apple case and the screen is REALLY scratch proof, why do we still need a screen protector?

Bingo. Get as close as you can to an all in one solution and then save the rest of your money.

GinoDotCom

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
so your ipad is running naked? You don't have the black Apple case? if not, I would highly recommend it. Looks good, tilts your ipad and makes it stand on it's own, protects it really well.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
so your ipad is running naked? You don't have the black Apple case? if not, I would highly recommend it. Looks good, tilts your ipad and makes it stand on it's own, protects it really well.
It is as naked as possible...except for being completely covered by the Apple case.

Heh. I use it as a naked device (he said, choosing his words very carefully) whenever possible.

That is a lie the more I think about it. I DO use it uncovered at times, but I usually need the case to keep it at an angle for typing, propping it up, and keeping it from the eyes of thieving bastards.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
My reasoning behind is not protection from scratches, rather to stop the finger prints. Hard to clearly see the black portions when there are as many finger prints on my screen as there currently is...

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
My reasoning behind is not protection from scratches, rather to stop the finger prints. Hard to clearly see the black portions when there are as many finger prints on my screen as there currently is...
Wow. More power to you. I just wipe the thing once a day or so.

How much does that screen protector set you back?

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, for the people with the Invisible Shields, do they affect how well you can use the touchscreen? I know they don't actually impede the technology, but what I mean is, do your fingers "glide" as easily on the screen, or does the texture make it more difficult to perform certain gestures?

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Just out of curiosity, for the people with the Invisible Shields, do they affect how well you can use the touchscreen? I know they don't actually impede the technology, but what I mean is, do your fingers "glide" as easily on the screen, or does the texture make it more difficult to perform certain gestures?

I am currently using the InvisibleShield and I hardly notice a difference between swiping on it now and swiping on it when it was naked (heh). I mainly use a screen protector to minimize fingerprints and smudges since the naked screen seems to still attract more than when it's covered.

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, that's good to know. I've seen impressions of it that range from "can't tell a difference" to "it makes the touchscreen unusable", so it's hard for me to get a good read on what the real effect is. Guess I'll just have to get one myself and try it out. I really am getting tired of the smudges and having to be super careful not to scratch the aluminum finish on the back.

DaveKay

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
3gs without screen protector, no scratches
3g without screen protector, no scratches
Only difference is fingerprints and cleaning them off
When my iPad arrives I will probably do without as well since the screen is the same material as my 3gs

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77