Who wants a retina iPad mini?

ITS ME DAVID

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I would be all over the new iPad mini if they release it with a retina display. I mean I know they are trying to keep costs down but apple has spoiled us with retina displays and now I can't see myself going back To a non retina display. So who else would like to see a retina display iPad mini ?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Since that's been the trend over the past couple of years, I would be really surprised if the 7" iPad is NOT released with a retina display.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
As much as I want the 7" iPad, I doubt it will happen.

The iPad is the best selling tablet on the market, what reason does Apple have to make another version?

They don't care what other companies do they've proven that. I'm sure that Apple doesn't care about the Nexus 7, let alone see it as a threat.

Another hole in the iPad mini theory is the price. I doubt Apple would sell it for $200.

My guess is that if Apple were to make a 7" tablet it would have a retina display at launch, and that it would start at $300 for an 8GB, and then $400 for a 16GB.

If you look at Apple's pricing structures they always price their low end competitively with their high end.

For example, the 13" Air with 128GB drive is only $100 more than the 'high end' 11" air.

Another example is the iPad 2 at $400 and the current generation iPad at $500.

My guess is that if the 7" iPad rumor holds water, it will be very competitively priced with the current generation 9.7" iPad.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I would be all over the new iPad mini if they release it with a retina display. I mean I know they are trying to keep costs down but apple has spoiled us with retina displays and now I can't see myself going back To a non retina display. So who else would like to see a retina display iPad mini ?
I don't want a Retina iPad mini. Not this year, anyway.

One of the reasons for shipping a smaller iPad must certainly be to hit a lower price point (while still maintaining a worthwhile margin.) And, being a lower-priced product, an iPad mini would probably sell more in the long term than the full-sized iPad. That must also be one of Apple's goals: to sell more iPad minis than 9.7" iPads.

I wouldn't be surprised to see individuals and families buying an iPad mini to complement their existing 9.7" iPad. Like how some people have an iMac as well as a MacBook Air. Especially if and when you can get all your "stuff" through iCloud on any Apple device.

But a Retina screen would work against the lower price point goal (with decent margin) as well as the market share goal. Because Retina screens are currently more expensive and might have lower yields than non-Retina screens.

I say "currently" because, just like all other semiconductor-based products, LCD screens will come down in price as manufacturing becomes more efficient and better technologies and processes are implemented. So a few years from now, it's possible that all Apple screens will be Retina-resolution. Just not this year. And maybe when the iPad mini does get a Retina screen, it won't even be LCD any more. Could be an IGZO-based OLED screen, like the ones Sharp and Apple are working on now.

[Forgot to say: I'll need to see one and try an iPad mini in person, and compare it against a full-sized Retina iPad before I can really decide. But right now I think it's more important to hit a price between $199 and $249. And that means no Retina for now.]

Last edited:

Kaze919

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
i really dont care about the retina for movies and whatnot, I throughly enjoy reading on my iPad however there's better devices than my first gen which are also smaller and lighter. I am really itching to buy a kindle paperwhite, but if I could get a great screen and portability with the iPad mini I'd defiantly choose that

Rcshaw777

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
If follow the pricing structure , chances are high that mini iPad won't have retina display because mini iPad will be positioned lower than iPad 2.

Otherwise it would canabilise iPad 2 sales, at lower price point with higher spec retina display.

Or another possibility is that iPad 2 will be discontinued when mini iPad is launched. In this way , consumers only get to choose between mini iPad and new iPad.

StephenBB81

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd trade my iPad3 in for an iPad Mini in a heartbeat give me a 250+ DPI that's all I ask,
my iPad3 gets used MAYBE 30min a week because it is just way to big to be useful anytime I could use the iPad I just pull out my notebook.

but an iPad Mini would be usable, I could replace having an iPhone I wouldn't need it anymore, just the iPad Mini!

teekz

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I would like the retina display but it would not be a deal breaker for me. I actually bought a Nook Tablet because of its smaller size and ease of use on public transportation. I did buy an old iPad from a friend and I iOS better than the Nook software, but I still like the size of the Nook better for traveling. If the come out with the Mini I plan on buying one to replace my Nook.

KCMike

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Sounds cool but I'm only game if the mini is $199. Otherwise, if the iPad Mini is $349, I'm going for the iPad 2 @ $359 (microcenter.com).

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
It would be great, but is not a deal breaker. I've been waiting for this form factor for a while now, and will buy a Mini the moment it becomes available.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I wouldn't want an ipad mini without retina. For the kiddo, she won't care. Cheap is what matters in her case.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care but wife wants one on launch she wants smaller size so it can go in her purse for on the go .. Me I'm happy with my iPad 2 and my iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711