Company wants to take over my person phone number

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
This might not be the right forum, but I figured I would get some good answers.

Here is my issue. I have worked for an employer for the past 8 years. I am outside sales. Work out of my home. Have never been to the corp office.

I have had my personal cell number for the past 15 years (long before I started this job)

I was hired with the understanding that I would need to have a cell phone for work. I was told that they would reimburse me $100/mo. They never offered to give me a work issued phone, I was just told to get one.

I have been using my personal phone number for work with no issues.

The company just announced a new policy. They want all outside reps to "sign over" all contract rights for cell phones, to the company. This would allow the company to transfer all sales reps numbers to one carrier and negotiate a discount. They would also be issuing new phones (Standard issue, not sure what that means, but my company does not spend a lot of money on technology). More then likely, it will be a bare bones basic phone.

My problem is that are not giving any other options (yet). They just expect everyone to sign over there person phone numbers to the company.

Here are my concerns.

Once I sign over my person number, I will never get it back. What if I quit or get fired later this year. How will old friends (that have my person cell number) know how to get in touch.

I will be forced to either walk away from technology, or start a new account with a new personal number.

What are your thoughts on this?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Is your personal number one that is a routine way for your clients to get in touch with you? Would it be much trouble to simply go out, start a new account for your "business" line and basically give them the rights to that new number?

I know many times, especially after having a number for so long, that the work of having to get clients and contacts the new information on a new number is not worth the headache, but if you have this issue where you don't want to give up your personal number to your company, that seems to be your only option really.

You just have to weigh the option...is there more work involved in giving them the old number and getting a new PERSONAL number...or vice versa...giving them a new number and keeping your personal one for yourself.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The issue comes with the company paying for the service. If they pay for it, they have (real or imagined) rights... you could do as Sean suggests, or forgo the $100/month stipend for the cell service and simply pay your own bill.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Personally I would not sign over your personal number. They can't hold it against you for not doing it. If it's their policy then they must issue you a company phone now. You will simply stop getting the stipend each month to cover the costs of your personal account.

If you do it this way, you can tell your clients that you have a new number. Since you still have your personal number if someone forgets or you forget to notify someone they will still be able to reach you, at which time you can inform them of the new company policy and sort it out.

That may be more work, but it's not hard work or really a lot. I just would not do it.

I would say this, "I would like to keep my personal number and for you to issue me a new company number/phone please". That should be the end of it.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
so many reasons/issues when using your personal phone for business. that is why, now, i always take the company phone from the get go

carrying 2 phones is definitely a PIA, but not as much as the BIG picture

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I personally would keep my personal number. I actually have been using my personal phone for business lately because my employer's choice of service provider is less than ideal. But, I either give out a Google Voice number or a Line2 number to the client. It still rings the same phone, but my personal number is mine, regardless of what new policies they push out.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
You could always pick up a new personal line and let your friends know that your number has changed. I always change my number when I move to a different geographic location. Kind of like changing a email address.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77