Ok I drank the Kool-Aid...Bought a mac

nappalonia

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm really starting to like mine too, but I can't use it for school yet until get the microsft office I'll probably get it right after the holidays.

mpnine

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Congrats and welcome! I've been using Mac at home for 25 years and haven't regretted it.

Cmd-shift-4 will enable you to take A screen shot of whatever you drag a rectangle over on the screen

JT2050

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
One of the most important things to remember is that the migration process is just that, a process. You'll have to "unlearn" a bunch of things that you learned to do on a PC that are different on a Mac. The process can be frustrating and stressful, but eventually you'll forget things like, "If I want to shut down, go to the start menu" and really start to enjoy the elegant Apple interface. Best of luck!

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I had to use the little linux laptop today because it was lonely. I have been devoting all my time to my wonderful Macbook Pro system. I am really liking the system. I am getting more used to using it, and the fact that I can use terminal to do things is an added benefit. I think that I am going to save up for Microsoft Office to add to it, just so I can use the same software across my main platforms. Libre Office works great under the Mac. Why did I wait so long to get one? Oh yeah $$$$$.

I did the same as you and purchased the 2015 model not long ago. It was on sale at Best Buy and I had a coupon, so I saved $300. It's amazing how quickly you get used to it. I used my 2011 HP over the weekend and found myself trying to scroll using the trackpad. I purchased Office 365 for the Mac last week and couldn't be happier. Definitely recommend that if you really want to use the Office suite. Really considering getting an iMac now!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I know this is an older post but I just purchased the 2015 retina 13 inch 3 weeks ago and am thrilled with it. A learning curve coming from PC but am not looking back. I am loving it. Fast and no lag. I am all Apple ecosystem now. The dark side is really a ray of light for me.

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Interesting title. I really don't consider "drinking the Kool-Aid" purchasing or even switching to a system that just flat out works. Nothing against Microsoft, because they got some cool things going on with their Surface products. I use a a mid 2010 MacBook Pro. It still works very well. I have a HP that is a few years newer and it is well slow. So slow. So enjoy your new Mac.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

p1xel

May 12, 2017
Visit site
This might sound kind of basic, but one of the things I love most about the MBP is 2 finger scrolling on the trackpad. It just feels smooth, responsive, and comfortable. Sometimes I even forgo my mouse when browsing. I've tried Windows laptops including the highly praised Dell XPS 13, but it just wasn't the same.

On the flip side I can't say the same for the Apple Magic Mouse. If you're considering buying a mouse, I'd highly recommend trying or borrowing one. For me at least, I find it very uncomfortable over extended use. And scrolling with that doesn't seem to work as well even though it seems like it should.

kjung7

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I just tried giving up my MacBook Pro for a Surface Pro 4. I gave up on it after a day. Mac is way ahead in terms of user interface and over all consistency in design of all software. Also, battery life on Windows was terrible. Even sleep mode drained battery like crazy.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
For anyone coming over from Windows, the one thing that will drive you crazy is the lack of window management (i.e. how to minimise, maximise and also have windows take up left or right of the screen via keyboard shortcuts).

Could I suggest (and I'm not affiliated at all or paid for this) you check out BetterTouchTool, helped me through the biggest adjustment for me in moving from Windows to MacOS. Things that I setup:

Four finger swipe right = make app/window take up right half of screen
Four finger swipe left = make app/window take up left half of screen
Four finger swipe up = maximise window (not full screen)
Four finger swipe down = minimise window
Four finger double tap = Quit application

I've setup a whole pile of other gestures (i.e. four finger force press sleeps my system), I love the flexibility and also that you can customise any input device (from mouse, to keyboard through Siri remote).

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I just tried giving up my MacBook Pro for a Surface Pro 4. I gave up on it after a day. Mac is way ahead in terms of user interface and over all consistency in design of all software. Also, battery life on Windows was terrible. Even sleep mode drained battery like crazy.

Problem with Windows is it has all this extra garbage in the OS to deal with all the various hardware configuration. The Surface Pro line is a good effort, but they can't just fix the broken OS running the thing.

DerKane

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
So yesterday I drank the kool-aid and bought my first macbook pro, after having self build PCs and various laptops for 16 years I decided I owned enough Apple products that it was time to move.

Bought a late 2016 MBP 13" [2.9GHz i5, 8GB DDR, 256GB flash], it was an open box so I saved quite a bit on it, initial thoughts are why didn't I do this sooner, I love it, having had a a Surface 3 more recently I still prefer a real KB and amazing screen.

macOS is taking some getting used too but app install seems simple enough and the battery is fantastic, setup was so quick and I like how handoff works, particularly with iMessage.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2