Backlighting just turned off!

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
My 2014 15" MacBook Pro just became completely useless: Its backlighting doesn't turn on anymore, it flickered for a few seconds, then it turned off. The display itself still works, but without a backlight it's not exactly workable? Any suggestions for help?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Two things to try first. Try an SMC reset. Here is a guide by Apple on how to do it. If that doesn't work, try a NVRAM reset. Here is a guide by Apple on how to do that. If either of these does not work there could be a hardware issue. I would then suggest making a Genius appointment to have it looked at.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! Must be a hardware issue then… ��

Usually the SMC reset will deal with this kind of issue. Apple will try those first thing anyway and then run a hardware diagnostics to see if anything shows up. Good luck and please let us know how it goes if you take it in.

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
OK, so…
The city I live in – Freiburg in southern Germany – doesn't have an Apple Store, so I went to an "Apple Premium Reseller". They couldn't find the reason for why the backlight broke, just that it broke is clear. Mysterious… Now they put in a completely new display, it looks and works as if I had just unboxed it. And Apple payed for it, despite the warranty having run out. That's what you call customer service, I guess!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77