Have been offered a Macbook Pro Retina for free, which one to take?

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been out of the Macbook realm for a while and have used an iMac for years. A friend of mine is getting some of the new Mac Pro's and he has asked me if I'd like to take one of his Macbook Pro's as a gift as I've helped him out financially a few times when he was starting his business.

He has two different models and has offered to let me have either one:

A 13" i5 2.6Ghz Macbook Pro retina (late 2013) 8GB RAM

A 15" i7 2.3Ghz Macbook Pro Retina (Late 2013) 16RAM

Both have 512GB of Flash Storage.

My question is which one would be the better model? I like the idea of the larger screen but I've heard the 16GB of RAM can make it run hot. From a portability standpoint I wouldn't take it out too much except when I travel and have it in hotel rooms. I don't do any heavy video editing (outside of family stuff). I will watch movies on it when traveling and will do some photo stuff (nothing major just slide shows and stuff with family).

Does anyone have any recommendations here? This is a machine I'd like to keep for a while but want to make sure that I am getting one that I will be able to use for many years.

Both are in mint condition. I've examined both of them and they don't have a scratch on them. I know this is a first world problem but can anyone help guide me here? Thanks so much in advance.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
How portable do you need to be?

Not super portable. Will mainly stay on my desk but also some moving around the house with it. Travel wise I'd take it with me on the road to hotels. Not much for using in public places or anything like that aside from the occasional visit to the coffee shop which isn't very often.

Is it true that the 15" models run hotter than the 13" models?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'd go for the 15" because it'll be more powerful and possibly suit your needs longer than the 13" would

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I say take both and give me one ;). I personally think that the 13" one would be best, but if you do like watching videos, or listening to music, then I would recommend the 15" one

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I would go for the A 15, but if could get these two, that's so wonderful!
I really envy you can get a so cool macbook from your friend! :D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77