Performance of retina MB Pro in clamshell mode

onsenk

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I am considering a retina MB Pro, and had a question for retina users.

I have heard that, particularly on the 13 inch with integrated graphics, the retina machines can sometimes struggle performance wise because of the hardware is just barely sufficient to run the screen. Currently in my home office, I run a core duo MB Air in clamshell mode (i.e., with the lid closed) plugged into a (perhaps 25 inch?) Samsung monitor (which is far from retina but looks good enough at a reasonable distance from my eyes) and performance is satisfactory most of the time.

My question is the following: If the performance hit in the current MB Pros appears to come from their screens, will these machines run faster in clamshell mode?

Cheers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Assisting you is important to us and there are times when the members of this community who can best provide you with assistance to your particular issue or concern may not be available at the time of your post so please be patient while awaiting a reply. In the meantime, feel free to peruse the various sections of the iMore forum as well as the iMore Blog and check back periodically for a reply to your post. Thank you.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I use mine all the time while hooked up to my TV in my bedroom in "clamshell mode", and it runs just as fast as it does when it's open honestly...I've never noticed any difference at all while doing this...it runs fast and flawlessly open AND closed.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I use mine all the time while hooked up to my TV in my bedroom in "clamshell mode", and it runs just as fast as it does when it's open honestly...I've never noticed any difference at all while doing this...it runs fast and flawlessly open AND closed.

I would agree with Sean. If the screen resolution is borderline stressing the computer, using a non-retina screen (external monitor/tv/whatever) should reduce the strain, as the resolution of the external display should be less that that of the retina display. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77