Do you think there any new Mac Minis planned?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys think there are any new Mac Minis planned or do you see it going the way of the iPod Classic?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Good question, but I'm not sure what to think. If demand is still high for it then they might consider keeping it in play, otherwise, it will go the way of the dinosaur. ...:)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys think there are any new Mac Minis planned or do you see it going the way of the iPod Classic?

I would say probably not, but you'd never know.

I think the emphasis is going towards the Macbooks, with the desktops just having iMacs and Mac Pros are the lineup.

Wasn't this also touched on briefly in one of the recent iMore podcasts too?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I actually do think there will be more. I'm really surprised that there hasn't been one yet. They are great little pcs.

Yeah they seem to be great little computers, my cousin recently picked up one and I was surprised at the functionality it had out of the box

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I run a base model 2011 as a media server. It works great and since it's always on (unlike my rMBP) I leave iTunes running and it serves up media to all my family's other Apple devices.

Oh cool, I'm thinking about getting one for using as my main computer and using my ThinkPad as an iTunes server

EricandSuebee

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I doubt Apple will shelve the Mini, its an entry into the the desktop world of Apple's ecosystem and they are pretty powerful systems in their own right.

trifster

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Mac mini is alive and well and I'm positive Apple will refresh it. The question is when.

I think the question of when is one that needs some investigation. I've had 2 people ask me about a mini vs MBA this week for their entry into Mac computing. My advice is if you can wait for a refreshed Mac Mini that will be a bit improved and likely retain its starting price at $599 to wait. The moment you start to customize the base mac mini you are quickly very close to MBA/iMac base pricing.

Last edited:

fly_catcher

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
The thing I love about the Mini is it's flexibility - and despite being a base model in the Mac range, if you install a Fusion or SSD when you order it then the performances is comparable to the Macbook Pro as indicated here:
Lab Tested: The Mac mini, maximized with Fusion Drive | Macworld
Essentially it brings it into the capability of being a full on workstation. It just depends what you want. I don't like the constraints of an iMac - I like to use my own monitors. And I don't need the portability nor the screen of a MacBook Pro - so right there is where the Mini fits in for me perfectly! and when you consider the comparable speed of USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt vs internal drives and the fact that that will only improve as SSD external drives increase in their capacity and also become more price realistic, the Mini or a variation of it is set to bloom in the world of Apple. It's essentially a cut down version of a MacPro - a processor to which you add on all the peripherals. The only thing I think that might be holding it back as to how it evolves is that if Apple makes it a variation of the MacPro - it could have the potential to become very popular and bite into the iMac sales. So I think it's a bit difficult to say exactly how it will evolve cos Apple isn't just about innovation these day, it's also about shares and profit so who knows!

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I have been patiently waiting for a Mac Mini update since January. Given that they refreshed the MBA lineup yesterday with Intel Haswell processors, I'm really hoping that plans for a Mac Mini update are well underway. I've got a bunch of Apple gift cards that are burning a hole in my pocket!

Jim Newton

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a 7 year old iMac myself and it is getting pretty sluggish. I am eyeing the mac mini as then I can get a huge external screen to go with it, like a 50 incher.......

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The Mac Mini makes a great HTPC. I put mine through its paces. I run Windows 7 via Bootcamp and play a lot of games on it. It plays games pretty well but long playing sessions can make the computer a touch to hot and it needs to get turned off so the processor can cool down a bit.

I've been wanting to dump extra RAM and another HDD into my Mini but I keep holding out, hoping that a Haswell Mini will be announced with Iris integrated graphics. I should have just done it back in February or March.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711