How do I un-jailbreak a phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.1.1 that is jailbroken. How can I un-jailbreak it without upgrading to the current 6.1.3?

babygurljones

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Either use the same program you used to jailbreak it and use the un jailbreak option. Or, connect your phone to iTunes and reset your phone.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Either use the same program you used to jailbreak it and use the un jailbreak option. Or, connect your phone to iTunes and reset your phone.

I didn’t jailbreak it... it was my son-in-law's phone and he has an iPhone 5 now... didn’t need it... it’s now a toy.

JCRocky5

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Uninstall all the tweaks & then remove Cydia installer (though not sure if you can actually do it through cidya)

Or just uninstall raccoon untether jailbreak in Cydia & when it reboots its no longer jail broken.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Please at least attempt to know what you're talking about prior to giving advice? The jailbreak tools do NOT include any option to "unjailbreak" and connecting to iTunes will do exactly what he said he wants to avoid. Your trolling will not help him.

Fausty, what exactly are you trying to avoid with removing the jailbreak?

Open up Cydia on the jailbroken phone and look at the very top. Hopefully your son-in-law chose the option to make his life easy years ago. If he did, you'll see some green text saying SHSH: iOS #, #, #

If so, 5.1.1 should be included in that list.

That will let you install older versions of iOS that Apple is no longer signing. You'll want to go to iClarified and download the IPSW for your 3GS.

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5.1.1/041-4347.20120427.o2yov/iPhone2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw
You'll also need redsn0w:
https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_mac_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1 for Mac
https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1 for PC

Once both are downloaded, open redsn0w. You'll want to be on an admin account with the PC and you'll need to ctrl+click to run it on Mac.

Choose "Extras"
Choose "Even More"
Choose "Restore"
Click "IPSW" and choose the file you saved.
The "Local" and "Remote" buttons will become selectable. Choose "Remote." This will stitch the blobs and get you ready.
Hit "Next" and follow the on-screen instructions.

You should be set from there.

babygurljones

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Please at least attempt to know what you're talking about prior to giving advice? The jailbreak tools do NOT include any option to "unjailbreak" and connecting to iTunes will do exactly what he said he wants to avoid. Your trolling will not help him.

Fausty, what exactly are you trying to avoid with removing the jailbreak?

Open up Cydia on the jailbroken phone and look at the very top. Hopefully your son-in-law chose the option to make his life easy years ago. If he did, you'll see some green text saying SHSH: iOS #, #, #

If so, 5.1.1 should be included in that list.

That will let you install older versions of iOS that Apple is no longer signing. You'll want to go to iClarified and download the IPSW for your 3GS.

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5.1.1/041-4347.20120427.o2yov/iPhone2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw
You'll also need redsn0w:
https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_mac_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1 for Mac
https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1 for PC

Once both are downloaded, open redsn0w. You'll want to be on an admin account with the PC and you'll need to ctrl+click to run it on Mac.

Choose "Extras"
Choose "Even More"
Choose "Restore"
Click "IPSW" and choose the file you saved.
The "Local" and "Remote" buttons will become selectable. Choose "Remote." This will stitch the blobs and get you ready.
Hit "Next" and follow the on-screen instructions.

You should be set from there.

First of all darling not once have I been able to take a jailbreak off using Cydia itself. I've done exactly what I mentioned several times with my iPhone. And using iTunes to remove the jailbreak, you have the option to either update your phone or leave it on the iOS as is. All he would be doing is resetting his device. He could reset the device under settings but normally iPhones get stuck and it doesn't go through.
Not that I had to really respond to you and your nonsense but your unnecessary extra bullsh*t, I had to! I also have to remind you certain jb programs have the remove jailbreak option and again I've done it so I know.

You can reply if you want and you probably will with some crap you wouldn't dare say to my face! On that note, you have a good day!

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd gladly tell you that you're full of it in person.

I'd also tell you to learn to read. I never said to use cydia to remove the jailbreak.

He's on 5.1.1. The tools for that are absinthe or redsn0w. Neither of those have options you suggest.

No. You don't have the option to leave the iOS as is with iTunes with respect to removing a jailbreak. It's called syncing. Removing the jailbreak via iTunes requires a restore. The restore requires the iOS to be signed. This only happens for the most up to date iOS.

You haven't done what you said. It's readily apparent by you suggesting things that won't work.

You're not intimidating, darlin. I'm sorry you think so.

babygurljones

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd gladly tell you that you're full of it in person.

I'd also tell you to learn to read. I never said to use cydia to remove the jailbreak.

He's on 5.1.1. The tools for that are absinthe or redsn0w. Neither of those have options you suggest.

No. You don't have the option to leave the iOS as is with iTunes with respect to removing a jailbreak. It's called syncing. Removing the jailbreak via iTunes requires a restore. The restore requires the iOS to be signed. This only happens for the most up to date iOS.

You haven't done what you said. It's readily apparent by you suggesting things that won't work.

You're not intimidating, darlin. I'm sorry you think so.

Intimidating? Not trying to be. Stating facts that you wouldn't but its nice that you think you would and especially come off on your initial response like you're jumping in someone's face with what you wrote. If this were a face to face convo, I guarantee you wouldn't have responded to me like you posted. Internet thugs are everywhere.
You want the last post? Be my guest and feel good about yourself.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I thought the easiest way to "un-jailbreak" your phone was to just do a full restore and update the OS

It's the only way to do so.

But, the OP added the request to use iOS 5.1.1 after removing the jailbreak. That also requires the downgrade.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Since this is my thread, and I’ve figured this out, can we please close the thread and stop the incessant troll-baiting and bickering? Sorry that I opened this can of worms!

I appreciate those of you who responded with helpful suggestions...

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
First you should explain why you wanted the older iOS without the jailbreak!

Is there that much of a noticeable difference in battery life or speed by sticking with the older OS?

I'm just curious.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Since this is my thread, and I?ve figured this out, can we please close the thread and stop the incessant troll-baiting and bickering? Sorry that I opened this can of worms!

I appreciate those of you who responded with helpful suggestions...

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77