Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

Default Went JB iP4S to iP5... any App Store apps that are close to JB tweak functionality?

Okay, I gave in and purchased an iP5 and I really like it a lot. The LTE speed is a huge difference and the longer screen is surprisingly enjoyable. Lighter than my 4S which I didn't think would matter but I enjoy as well. I do miss SBSettings, LockInfo, CallBar and a few other things. Wondering if anyone else (Massie???) that went from a JB iP4/4S to iP5 have found anything in the App Store that provides anything similar to JB features that "tweak" the system in any manner? I still have my 4S and trying to decide if I want to stay with the i5 or switch back. Any feedback would be great!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Went JB iP4S to iP5... any App Store apps that are close to JB tweak functionality?

There's really not a lot out there that can replace jb apps like CallBar or SBSettings, since Apple doesn't allow that kind of access. Once in a while something will slip through (like Display Recorder) but it's very rare and if you don't grab it while it's there you're out of luck.

That said, I went from a jailbroken 4 to a stock 5 and as much as I miss BiteSMS, Lockinfo, Activator, etc, I still wouldn't go back. (From my 3G to the iPhone 5 I was always jailbroken.) The upgrades are well worth it for me, and it seems more and more like a jailbreak for the 5 won't be all that long in coming. So I can wait, but of course not everyone is the same.

One thing you might be interested in for SBSettings-ish access is adding icons to your homescreen for easier access to different settings:
    Thanked by:
    talkin73 (01-26-2013)
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Went JB iP4S to iP5... any App Store apps that are close to JB tweak functionality?

I suppose LaunchCenter Pro is the closest you'll get to a jailbreak app in the App Store.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
    Thanked by:
    talkin73 (01-26-2013)
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    There's really not a lot out there that can replace jb apps like CallBar or SBSettings, since Apple doesn't allow that kind of access. Once in a while something will slip through (like Display Recorder) but it's very rare and if you don't grab it while it's there you're out of luck.

That said, I went from a jailbroken 4 to a stock 5 and as much as I miss BiteSMS, Lockinfo, Activator, etc, I still wouldn't go back. (From my 3G to the iPhone 5 I was always jailbroken.) The upgrades are well worth it for me, and it seems more and more like a jailbreak for the 5 won't be all that long in coming. So I can wait, but of course not everyone is the same.

One thing you might be interested in for SBSettings-ish access is adding icons to your homescreen for easier access to different settings:
    Thanks, Massie. From the linked app, folks are commenting that it stopped working after iOS 5.1 :-( What is leading you to think a jailbreak for the iP5 is forthcoming?
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iDonev View Post
    I suppose LaunchCenter Pro is the closest you'll get to a jailbreak app in the App Store.
    iDonev, appreciate the recommendation! It does seem interesting, though iTunes reviews suggest that much of the Settings shortcut functionality was broken with iOS 6 or disallowed by Apple. I haven't purchased the app to try it myself but wouldnt' shock me if Apple was actually locking out features. They just can't seem to stop shooting themselves in the foot. I think the "stability" of iOS is a very attractive proposition for many. Once Android fixes it's quirks, the openness of the platform is likely to become more an even more significant factor than it is now. When I was at the Verizon store after purchasing my iP5, there were about 8 other people in there, all buying Android phones. I have to admit I'm getting more and more curious about it and as stale as iOS has seemed since iOS 4, trying Android seems more and more intriguing. Might be a grass is greener thing, but given that I've been an Apple loyalist since the Apple II was released, it feels significant to me that I would be considering an Apple competitor due to what I see as an ongoing inflexibility and lack of real or genuine progress in an OS that offers anything new or useful to me. If I found Android unstable, that would be one thing... but with cloud based everything nowadays, the lack of integrated Mac sync isn't even a real issue anymore...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by talkin73 View Post
    Thanks, Massie. From the linked app, folks are commenting that it stopped working after iOS 5.1 :-( What is leading you to think a jailbreak for the iP5 is forthcoming?
    See this thread: 6.0.2 Untethered Jailbreak Update
    Thanked by:
    talkin73 (01-26-2013)
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

The only thing I see come out of the app store even remotely as useful as many JB tweaks are pulled when they discover they are useful.