Went JB iP4S to iP5... any App Store apps that are close to JB tweak functionality?

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Okay, I gave in and purchased an iP5 and I really like it a lot. The LTE speed is a huge difference and the longer screen is surprisingly enjoyable. Lighter than my 4S which I didn't think would matter but I enjoy as well. I do miss SBSettings, LockInfo, CallBar and a few other things. Wondering if anyone else (Massie???) that went from a JB iP4/4S to iP5 have found anything in the App Store that provides anything similar to JB features that "tweak" the system in any manner? I still have my 4S and trying to decide if I want to stay with the i5 or switch back. Any feedback would be great!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
There's really not a lot out there that can replace jb apps like CallBar or SBSettings, since Apple doesn't allow that kind of access. Once in a while something will slip through (like Display Recorder) but it's very rare and if you don't grab it while it's there you're out of luck.

That said, I went from a jailbroken 4 to a stock 5 and as much as I miss BiteSMS, Lockinfo, Activator, etc, I still wouldn't go back. (From my 3G to the iPhone 5 I was always jailbroken.) The upgrades are well worth it for me, and it seems more and more like a jailbreak for the 5 won't be all that long in coming. So I can wait, but of course not everyone is the same.

One thing you might be interested in for SBSettings-ish access is adding icons to your homescreen for easier access to different settings: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/1...airplane-mode-and-more-no-jailbreak-required/

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
There's really not a lot out there that can replace jb apps like CallBar or SBSettings, since Apple doesn't allow that kind of access. Once in a while something will slip through (like Display Recorder) but it's very rare and if you don't grab it while it's there you're out of luck.

That said, I went from a jailbroken 4 to a stock 5 and as much as I miss BiteSMS, Lockinfo, Activator, etc, I still wouldn't go back. (From my 3G to the iPhone 5 I was always jailbroken.) The upgrades are well worth it for me, and it seems more and more like a jailbreak for the 5 won't be all that long in coming. So I can wait, but of course not everyone is the same.

One thing you might be interested in for SBSettings-ish access is adding icons to your homescreen for easier access to different settings: How to Create Custom Shortcuts For WiFi Settings, Airplane Mode, and More – No Jailbreak Required

Thanks, Massie. From the linked app, folks are commenting that it stopped working after iOS 5.1 :-( What is leading you to think a jailbreak for the iP5 is forthcoming?

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I suppose LaunchCenter Pro is the closest you'll get to a jailbreak app in the App Store.

iDonev, appreciate the recommendation! It does seem interesting, though iTunes reviews suggest that much of the Settings shortcut functionality was broken with iOS 6 or disallowed by Apple. I haven't purchased the app to try it myself but wouldnt' shock me if Apple was actually locking out features. They just can't seem to stop shooting themselves in the foot. I think the "stability" of iOS is a very attractive proposition for many. Once Android fixes it's quirks, the openness of the platform is likely to become more an even more significant factor than it is now. When I was at the Verizon store after purchasing my iP5, there were about 8 other people in there, all buying Android phones. I have to admit I'm getting more and more curious about it and as stale as iOS has seemed since iOS 4, trying Android seems more and more intriguing. Might be a grass is greener thing, but given that I've been an Apple loyalist since the Apple II was released, it feels significant to me that I would be considering an Apple competitor due to what I see as an ongoing inflexibility and lack of real or genuine progress in an OS that offers anything new or useful to me. If I found Android unstable, that would be one thing... but with cloud based everything nowadays, the lack of integrated Mac sync isn't even a real issue anymore...

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I see come out of the app store even remotely as useful as many JB tweaks are pulled when they discover they are useful. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2