Help! iPad will not charge.

aaron130

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys! I just need a little help here. My 3 month old iPad 2 will not charge all of a sudden I've tried a bunch of different cables and nothing! Now since I can't connect to a computer to restore it before I call apple what should I do to get rid of the jailbreak? Or at least be able to get a exchange? I am pretty sure the cloud update won't work cuz I'm jail broken. Can I restore in settings? Or is there any way to get rid of cydia so they don't know it's jail broken? Help please?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Try a different wall socket or connect it to a powered on computer and leave it alone for about an hour then check to see if it is charging. If it does not appear to be, try holding down the power and home buttons simultaneously for about 45 seconds or so. By that time, if it is indeed charging and you don't have any equipment issues, you should see the Apple logo. Release the buttons and let it boot up. If you're able to boot then you had a boot issue and not a charging issue.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Reactions: aaron130

aaron130

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok I'll try that when I get home in the morning from work. Now if it's not that do u have any suggestions on what to when I bring it to apple? Cuz it's only a few months old, is there any way to delete cydia? Or reset from the settings?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would go to settings and select erase all content even if it gets stuck on apple logo apple will have to restore it also battery will die and they can't charge it and they will replace it before trying I would run the battery down so if it does get stuck it won't be long before battery dies

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

aaron130

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I would go to settings and select erase all content even if it gets stuck on apple logo apple will have to restore it also battery will die and they can't charge it and they will replace it before trying I would run the battery down so if it does get stuck it won't be long before battery dies

Yes I was thinking the same thing! I also should mention I DID reboot it like 3 times and tried different wires and different ifs and still nothing. So if I go to settings and erase all content it will stay in a bootloop? Also what about cydelete? That won't delete the actual cydia app correct?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry bout it honestly if charging port is broke and no water damage apple won't get it to boot any better than you if it's not charging .. Won't boot and is dead they will just replace it after they figure out they can't charge it or connect to it via iTunes too restore it

aaron130

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Cool thx! Ya it was charging last night something happen when I was asleep it didn't charge and when I woke up for work it was off! I powered up and tried plugging it in and nothing, I tried different wires and plugs and everything and still nothing. It's already at like 30% but I'm at work till the morning. I guess I'll just go home get it to about 10% and call apple and tell them it won't charge and now the batteries dead and it won't turn on.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Don't even call just make a genius bar appt now then just go to apple store just make sure it's not your cables or actual plug in your room that could be alittle awkward lol

aaron130

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Im not even sure where to make a genius appt,lol. I don't think I have any apple stores really close to me. If I call apple and tell them wont they just make an appt for me and tell me where the closest one is?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
On apples site or via the apple store app .. If you don't have a store near you they will make you mail your iPad in then ship you a new one once they get yours .. You could always just show up at a apple store but you might wait alil bit to get help without a appt but I'm sure they will get you in if you say you bought it 3 months ago and act slightly irritated that you had to come all the way there :)

aaron130

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks man! One last question I promise lol. I bought the iPad at Walmart a few months back, now that doesn't matter correct? Because they go by the device number? Or do I need my receipt and everything? Which I do have but just wondering?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It don't matter where u got it as long as it in with in the one year of first activation it could be from billy joe on craigslist in a bar at 3am you won in a poker bet lol as long as its apple they back it

aaron130

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Phew! Got it replaced for a brand new one! Almost screwed up cuz I deleted everything even cydia but forgot to restore the font!! Anyways, I know the untethered for 5.1 is coming soon is there a tethered for a iPad 2 running 5.1?

flyhalf83

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread, my situation is that I jailbroke(?) my iPad a couple of months back and had no problems with it. I am also fairly certain that the problem that I have with my iPad now - its a 4th Generation iPad by the way.

The issue I have, is that my battery died yesterday evening; no problems. Its happened a couple of times, plus I understand that its good to run the battery down as well every now and then.

So I charged it, well tried to, and then realised that I kept getting a picture of the flat battery (with the red bar at the end) and the plus pointing towards a flash sign. This would happen and then it would cut out again.

I tried the restore trick of pressing both the home button and power button; but nothing changed. I never got the Apple logo up.

I decided to leave it connected to the plug charger over night in the hope that it may change - but woke up this morning and no such luck.

I have tried different chargers/leads/computers you name it in the vain hope that it may lead to a different outcome but so far no luck. I even spoke with Apple themselves to see if they could help (without mentioning that it was Jailbroken of course) and they seem to think that the battery needs replacing.

Am I ok to go ahead with this, is there anything I can do to get it working again? Can I do a system restore before I take it to the Apple store? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The hard reboot trick won't work if it's not booting in the first place. That's why you had issues with the home and lock key.

No, you can't restore it. How would you? It needs to be on to restore. You're not charging.

It's one of two problems: the battery as already discussed or the charging port itself.

You're stressing about something you needn't. If it can't turn on, how would they be able to tell that it's jailbroken?

Here are your options. If you take it to the Apple store, they'll likely replace it. It'll be a free replacement if the iPad is within warranty. If the jailbreak is important to you, you'll lose it. Anything that you haven't backed up already will also be lost. They don't typically fix the parts as it's easier just to give you the new iPad.

Alternatively, you can fix the iPad yourself. You have it narrowed down to two parts. You can either order the parts and check out sites like ifixit.com to get tutorials to fix it yourself or you can take it to one of the eight million "we fix ipads" shops. This will maintain your iOS and jailbreak. It'll also keep all of your data. But, it'll come with a cost in either the parts or the parts/labor from a shop.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2