Issues with Themes and custom lockscreens

md17

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Is it my jailbreak or the actual theme or customization itself. I have yet to find any success with downloading a customization in Cydia and installing through Winterboard that actually works. Please help guide me in the right direction to a fix. Thanks

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
You have to make sure that each Cydia tweak or Theme is compatible with your iOS version. Usually, each tweak/theme will list iOS version it's compatible with.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
And of course make sure you're respringing after applying it in Winterboard. So: download from Cydia, check theme in Winterboard, respring. Themes won't take effect unless you do that last step. Try downloading one we know works, like Typophone 4, and report back.

md17

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
And of course make sure you're respringing after applying it in Winterboard. So: download from Cydia, check theme in Winterboard, respring. Themes won't take effect unless you do that last step. Try downloading one we know works, like Typophone 4, and report back.

This one worked, btw, is it normal to be all scrambled first respring? Also, if I check, user lock backgroudn, am I supposed to be able to set my own lock background picture with that same lock screen...date, time etc?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The scrambling is normal and goes away when the respring is done. User Lock Background has not been updated, I don't believe. The easiest way to use a background of your own is to manually replace the theme wallpaper inside the theme folder, which requires either iFile from Cydia or a similar program to use on your computer.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Definitely...all you need to do is go into the theme folder (it's in /Library/Themes) and replace the wallpaper image with the one you want to use. The key is that whatever you replace it with has to have the EXACT same file name...so if your old wallpaper is something like LockBackground.png you need to name your new one LockBackground.png, and not lockbackground.png or anything else. (Capitalization matters.)

You'll probably have to respring again to get the new one to show up, and you'll know if you didn't get it right--you'll probably just have a black background. Go for it though and let me know if you have any questions.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Massie,
can you walk me through how to do this using iFile? How to I copy a wallpaper from say my CameraRoll and be able to paste it into the theme folder (and also be able to edit the image name)? also, the image type has to be the same, usually as a png file.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
^^^
Outstanding! Worked perfect.

What I did FYI- went into the theme and copied the wallpaper.png file of the theme to my CameraRoll. Then deleted the wallpaper from the theme (using iFile) and then selected 'user wallpaper' from Winterboard and this way the theme uses whatever wallpaper you choose, instead of the default. Since I saved the original wallpaper to my camera roll, i can go back and reuse that wallpaper with the theme if I wanted to.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
hmmm

i tried deleting the wallpaper from another theme file and it seemed to have caused some problems. wouldn't respring from Winterboard.. had to so a reset to get it to work...

it worked though by just deleting the wallpaper.png file from the theme folder and then selecting "user wallpaper" from Winterboard. (at least on two of my themes).

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Huh--for some reason I thought the User Wallpaper in Winterboard was broken on iOS 5. Maybe it just doesn't work for html themes?

What happens if you delete the wallpaper in the theme but don't check off the User Wallpaper option?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, our posts crossed...I think you'll find that a lot of themes have issues with this due to the way iOS handles wallpaper images in later versions. For any theme that uses an html file, you'll probably need to either just change the wallpaper within the theme file OR use the Wallpaper JPEGifier tweak I've discussed in other threads (which will allow you to choose wallpapers the usual way on your device but requires changing code in the theme itself).