Some General Jailbreak Questions

mwrice79

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm a noob to jailbreaking and had some general questions regarding functionality after the break and would appreciate any help in answering these questions.

1) Are you able to continue using your device as normal, i.e., app updates through the app store, syncing (both wireless and connected) with iTunes, backing up, use of iCloud, etc. I know not to update iOS software as it would cancel out my jailbreak but is it business as usual for everything else?

2) When making a back up to iTunes with a jail broken device, are the files corrupted by the break in any way? In other words, if I ever chose to go back to regular iOS, would the back ups created during the jail break period be identical to back ups created from a non jail broken device? Is there any difference at all between the two?

3) What are the odds of "bricking" a device and what should be watched for when performing mods and hacks? What are things that noobs should stay far away from?

4) Is there a specific place in Cydia to find hacks for iPad 2? I'm having trouble after jailbreaking my iPad 2 finding mods and hacks to work for it as they all seem to be geared towards iPhone or iTouch. Am I missing something somewhere?

5). Are there any good, after the fact tutorials to explain what to do with Cydia after you jailbreak? Cydia does provide some info but it can be quite confusing trying to figure out where to start and what mods and hacks go with which programs.

Thank you so much in advance for any answers you can offer up to someone brand new to jailbreaking and loving what I'm finding so far,

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
1. Yes.
2. Backups work fine.
3. As long as you stick to the tools provided by the developers it is virtually impossible to brick your device.
4. Not that I know of. If you're after a specific ability/app, try the next forum. It's focus is on apps/tweaks.
5. This article is the best I've found that explains Cydia. You can also try YouTube for a video walk through.
Also mods and hacks are generally independent from App Store apps. Again, if you're after something specific, search the next forum or create a new thread.

iMuggle's article might be a good read for you as well.

Good luck and welcome to the Dark Side :)

Last edited:

mwrice79

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you iDoney! I appreciate the answers and links to the articles. That makes me feel a little more at ease about joining the other side...lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2