Traveling to Australia

clarkkent06

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to the jailbreak community. I have an AT&T GSM iPhone 4, running on 5.0.1 and jailbroken. I want to use the phone in Australia, buying a prepaid card or on a mobile plan (not sure how long I'll be there, I have a 1 year Visa).

Am I SOL? Can 5.0.1 be unlocked? I'm not even 100% sure on the process. Unlock, buy a new SIM there, insert it, and activate in iTunes? Will my US apps and stuff still work?

Although that's all trivial if 5.0.1 can't be unlocked lol.

Thanks for the advice

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Go to AT&T and explain your situation. They just might unlock the phone for you. Also if they reject your request, it might be worth coming back later and speaking to another rep.

Reactions: clarkkent06

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Australia and the above comment is right. Ask if AT&T will
Unlock it, then it's a simple case of getting a sim from a phone company here ( I strongly advise Telstra ) and viola it's all good.
If your phone is carrier locked to AT&T and you try and use it here your outta luck unless you jailbreak it somehow.
As for apps and everything I think you'll be fine, my mom comes here yearly from Alaska and all her iTunes works fine and app update, so you should be fine.

Magically beamed through the internut on my LifeProof'd iPhone using Tapatalk.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
And yes - shooter03 is correct about the app situation. You'll be able to use, remove, buy, redownload, update your apps without a problem. There are only two things you need to keep in mind:

1. Location-specific apps like Pandora (possibly Spotify as well) will NOT work outside the borders of the US. There are workarounds, but that's a thread on its own.
2. By default you should be accessing the US iTunes Store. You'll have no problems with it overseas. Bear in mind, however, that if for some reason you decide to switch to the Australian iTunes Store, you will not be able to redownload, update apps you've purchased in the US App store.

clarkkent06

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Great, thank you all for the helpful responses. I'll take it to AT&T and give that a shot, and thanks for the info re: iTunes. I'll definitely be keeping it on the US iTunes Store.

It's jailbroken now on 5.0.1, should I unjailbreak it before taking it to AT&T?

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Great, thank you all for the helpful responses. I'll take it to AT&T and give that a shot, and thanks for the info re: iTunes. I'll definitely be keeping it on the US iTunes Store.

It's jailbroken now on 5.0.1, should I unjailbreak it before taking it to AT&T?

I don't think a jailbreak would offend anyone at AT&T and I think a carrier unlock is done by computer without needing to use or see your phone.

ktstop

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm using holiday phone sim for my international travel. These cards also allow you to receive free incoming calls in many countries. You can get international These cards also allow you to receive free incoming calls in many countries. You can get international Sim card from holiday phone. It costs very low price than anyother international sim card. Also they are providing very good cusomer care services throgh online also.International SIM Cards reduce your cost of roaming by as much as 90% depending on the provider you use.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77