Woeful battery situation!

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi JB folks,

About a month ago I JB my iPhone and, of course, my battery life was sucky which I expected. However, I recently restored the phone back to its original condition but it seems the battery has never gone back to the way it was before the JB. Is that possible or am I imagining it? Anyone else have that experience?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This happened to me when I JB last year with iOS 3.1.3 on my 3GS with Spirit. After I restored, Apple gave me a new one as it had issues holding a charge. When I JB with Greenpois0n on iOS 4.2.1 with my iPhone 4, my battery was fine after. With my issues with my 3GS, it may not have been related to the JB. It could have just my battery going bad. No way to really know

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
So, if I go into an Apple store and tell them my iPhone 4 won't hold a charge:

1. Will they be able to tell it was once JB?:confused:

2. Will they replace it since I've only had it since Sept?:confused:

3. Am I a cheating scumbag if I do it knowing I probably caused the problem?:eek:

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
They wont be able to tell as long as you do a restore on the device before you take it back to the shop.

As for the eligibility, since you got it in September, you are still under Apple's default 1 year protection plan.

Just state your problem and hope you get an exchange ;)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
So, if I go into an Apple store and tell them my iPhone 4 won't hold a charge:

1. Will they be able to tell it was once JB?:confused:

2. Will they replace it since I've only had it since Sept?:confused:

3. Am I a cheating scumbag if I do it knowing I probably caused the problem?:eek:

1. Not if you restore

2. Maybe. If their diagnostic says different, its your word versus their diagnostic. Be firm with them exchanging if they do not want to.

3. No. There is no way to know if the JB caused it. Maybe the battery is going bad.

iRandom

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Try upgrading your iPhone to iOS 4.3.1, then use the redsn0w 0.9.6rc12 to jailbreak.

I had personally had horrid battery drain problems before on earlier versions of redsn0w as well as greenpois0n. After applying this, my battery problems disappeared.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Try upgrading your iPhone to iOS 4.3.1, then use the redsn0w 0.9.6rc12 to jailbreak.

I had personally had horrid battery drain problems before on earlier versions of redsn0w as well as greenpois0n. After applying this, my battery problems disappeared.

The OP stated they restored back to factory. With that said, any battery issues should have been solved. Re-jailbreaking wont solve a battery issue

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
the biggest culprit through battery issues and jailbreaking is restoring from backup. especially if you backed up your phone when it was jailbroken.

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If the above is true, how might one approach Jailbreaking in the future?

I'm a first time JBer myself, and I would like to keep battery problems to a minimum.

How does one backup their iPhone then? Since backing up through iTunes while jailbroken saves all the JB settings as well, how do we prevent that whilst also backing up our SMS contacts etc?

iRandom

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
The OP stated they restored back to factory. With that said, any battery issues should have been solved. Re-jailbreaking wont solve a battery issue

Indeed. The only other recommendation that I have is to take it to an Apple store.

phinx404

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree 100%. Now I upgraded and jailbroke it again and reinstalled lock info and bite and battery life is really great. Noticeably better.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site

I'm a first time JBer myself, and I would like to keep battery problems to a minimum.

How does one backup their iPhone then? Since backing up through iTunes while jailbroken saves all the JB settings as well, how do we prevent that whilst also backing up our SMS contacts etc?

That's what I'd like to know, I always restore from a backup cause it's just too much of a pain to lose everything and have manually re-enter all our contacts/info/settings et..

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
That's what I'd like to know, I always restore from a backup cause it's just too much of a pain to lose everything and have manually re-enter all our contacts/info/settings et..

I usually don't mind redoing the settings, but for the contacts, that takes long. So I just sync it with my GMail contacts.

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

for the sms part...you can try PKGBackup or point your sms through google voice/GV Mobile app because it'll save it through their server. for your contacts, if you have a Mac. you can start manually adding your contacts through addressbook. by doing this first, this will secure all of your contacts. when you sync all of your contacts through addressbook, anything that you change on your iPhone can also be transferred through addressbook via syncing it. easy as that, it's just the first time of manually backing it up is a slightly annoying. don't be lazy and just do it. or if your really lazy then just use google contacts. reminder again! you have to manually put them in on google contacts by typing each and every contacts first. i've been doing this for 3 years and haven't run into any problems. i still have all my contacts from old to new, so i'm happy about that.

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I actually found out how to backup contacts manually through SSH.

Obviously needs to be JBen.

root/private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook

Copy
AddressBook.sqlitedb for contacts only; and

AddressBookImages.sqlitedb for their respective contact photos.

Copy them to desktop or somewhere on the computer. After restoring as new, JB again, and replace them back into the same dir.

Not sure about other things like SMS. But for anyone wishing to restore any phone, contacts are probably the most important things to backup.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I usually don't mind redoing the settings, but for the contacts, that takes long. So I just sync it with my GMail contacts.

Yea, I couldn't take it anymore and I restored as new last night, so far my battery seems to be much better, and whatever bugs I had seem to be gone. I had restored from a backup on every jailbreak since 4.0.1, probably why I was having issue's!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2