Virgin jailbreaker help - sorry to be a pain

aworbey

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Dear all,

I appreciate this gets asked so many times but I hope someone here will take the time to clarify things with me.

I have an iPhone 3GS on Version 4.3.1 (8G4) with baseband 05.16.02. I think that?s right anyway. I want to Jailbreak my phone but want to ensure I do it right.

Basically, my phone synced last night when I upgraded to 4.3.1.

I can follow the guides on here and iClarified but I want to ensure I?ve covered all bases.

I read somewhere about renaming your phone, in case you want to unjailbreak so you have a back up of a different name, but wasn?t sure if this meant, renaming, backing up phone and then renaming it back so I have a separate back up file to refer to at a later date if it all goes wrong and I want it back pure?

So really, apart from my question above, do I just run the jailbreak guide, minus the part about ?Select your iPhone from the list of devices on the left. Now hold down Shift and click the Restore button. Restore is preferred as it won't create any wasted space on your iPhone.? As I?m assuming that is if you don?t already have 4.3.1 installed.

My serial number digits 4 & 5 are 31 so do I assume that I?m ok for the bit regarding having a fixed bootrom and that I don?t, as that would be from 40 onwards?

Also do I need to do anything regarding SHSH blobs as it doesn?t mention this in the iClarified guide?

Sorry so many questions but as said, I'm a complete novice and it's an expensive bit of kit if I get it wrong.

Kind Regards

Adam

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You've got most everything right since you're on iClarified and you are reading the method. Which method are you using? redsn0w? are you on Windows or Mac? You don't need to rename your device although on Windows I've heard that it only seems to keep one backup for some reason. So what I would do is find out where the backup file is kept(Google). Then before you're ready to start your JB do a sync then transfer purchases, and finally a backup(right click your iPhone in the left column of iTunes and choose Backup). Then before you start go to the backup location and copy the file or folder to another location on your hard drive or even an external hard drive. This way if you want to restore this backup you can always put it back to the location and remove whatever is there and do a restore.

The process is usually pretty simple just follow the iClarified tutorial steps. If you ever want to undo the JB then if there is a new firmware it's as simple as just hitting upgrade in iTunes. If there isn't a newer firmware just click on restore this will reload the firmware on the phone and you can either set up as new, restore from a backup, or put back the backup you backed up(LOL) and restore.

The SHSH blobs will be handled after you've already JBen your phone, it is done in Cydia the JB app store. When you go in look for the "Make my life easier" and clicking that will save your current SHSH blobs.

Reactions: aworbey

mooodey

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
You've got most everything right since you're on iClarified and you are reading the method. Which method are you using? redsn0w? are you on Windows or Mac? You don't need to rename your device although on Windows I've heard that it only seems to keep one backup for some reason. So what I would do is find out where the backup file is kept(Google). Then before you're ready to start your JB do a sync then transfer purchases, and finally a backup(right click your iPhone in the left column of iTunes and choose Backup). Then before you start go to the backup location and copy the file or folder to another location on your hard drive or even an external hard drive. This way if you want to restore this backup you can always put it back to the location and remove whatever is there and do a restore.

The process is usually pretty simple just follow the iClarified tutorial steps. If you ever want to undo the JB then if there is a new firmware it's as simple as just hitting upgrade in iTunes. If there isn't a newer firmware just click on restore this will reload the firmware on the phone and you can either set up as new, restore from a backup, or put back the backup you backed up(LOL) and restore.

The SHSH blobs will be handled after you've already JBen your phone, it is done in Cydia the JB app store. When you go in look for the "Make my life easier" and clicking that will save your current SHSH blobs.
Ipheuria covered everything up there .. i think it's a GOOD TO GO signal :)

aworbey

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm jailbreaking with windows and red snow from the guides on iClarified. Thanks for your help, gonna have a go later and will post back the results, let's hope it's positive news :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure it will be positive, you didn't go blindly into it. If you do have any problems just remember a couple things, don't panic stay calm. Don't try a million different things if you don't know exactly what they will do. If you do have a problem post up here and just wait till you get a response. I know sometimes it take a little while but if you can't wait it out add me on twitter and shoot me a tweet. If it all goes sideways and your phone wont boot put it in DFU mode and restore to the OEM firmware. Then restore from your backup and you'll be good to go until you get some answers and you give it another shot.

Reactions: aworbey

aworbey

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Seemed to have worked fine, thanks so much for your help, only one thing is there is a message in Cydia that says This device is in the pending TSS queue. What does that mean?

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Seemed to have worked fine, thanks so much for your help, only one thing is there is a message in Cydia that says This device is in the pending TSS queue. What does that mean?

Your phone is in a queue for Cydia to request and save your SHSH blobs from Apple. It's much faster to use Tinyumbrella and save them manually on your HDD. It also gets Cydia to save them at the same time instead of waiting for Cydia to do it at some random time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl