Jailbreaking & Ringtones

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
O.K. so let me see if i've got this right. Once i JB, it opens up the e-mail notifications, so that i can change it to any ringtone that i have stored in the phone, plus i can attach any one of my ringtones(as an e-mail notification) to any contact in my phone. Sorry if i'm a little slow, but i've spent half my life with the U.S.Postal Service.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure someone else will chime in but usinh BiteSMS what you said can be done for text messages. It might be able to do email messages too but I haven't looked at all the settings yet. It is an app you'll have to buy but you get a trial before you buy and if you text you will probably never go back. It allows you to answer texts without unlocking the phone or leaving any of the apps you're in.

Reactions: anon(631531)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Bite only does texts. Last time I was jailbroken I used ToneFX to change my email sound, but it only changes the overall email notification. I don't know of anything that customizes email sounds per contact.

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Winterboard allows one to change the global email and / or text sounds but I don't think the NATIVE email app allows for individual email notify sounds. There may be a replacement app that allows it. Something like Pinger's Text Free onle for email. Never looked into email apps TBH.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your imput guys. I receive a lot of e-mails from certain idiot members of my wife's family, and i'm trying to avoid running to the phone every time i hear that notification ping. If they knew how to send a text message, then i could change the tone without having to JB!:mad:

pendragyn

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
It is an app you'll have to buy but you get a trial before you buy and if you text you will probably never go back. It allows you to answer texts without unlocking the phone or leaving any of the apps you're in.

Is it a paid app? I noticed I got a 2 week license, but I thought it was ad supported after that. Doesn't matter either way, I'm not giving this app up.

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a thought. Apps like text free also have an email address attached. Xxxx@pinger.com. That may be an answer. Give them that or if your using gmail set up rules to keep those addresses from your phone.
Good luck!

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a thought. Apps like text free also have an email address attached. Xxxx@pinger.com. That may be an answer. Give them that or if your using gmail set up rules to keep those addresses from your phone.
Good luck!

Nice try. They are idiots, but it's my wife's sister and her family. If you've been in that situation, then you know where i'm coming from.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Is it a paid app? I noticed I got a 2 week license, but I thought it was ad supported after that. Doesn't matter either way, I'm not giving this app up.

It's paid but it's not expensive, sorry had to correct it says if you don't pay it becomes ad supported. However when I used it in the past this wasn't the case so either they've changed or it didn't work the way it was supposed for me then. I'm in the same boat as you not giving it up:D

OP
Why not give them only a special email that you don't put on your phone?:D You could use Lockinfo and that way you would just have to look at the homescreen.

Last edited:

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
It's paid but it's not expensive. I'm in the same boat as you not giving it up:D

OP
Why not give them only a special email that you don't put on your phone?:D You could use Lockinfo and that way you would just have to look at the homescreen.

The best solution is for them to text me. I can change the alert, and not have to JB. My one nephew has some brains, so i'll show him how to send text messages, then tell him it's sooo much cheaper than e-mailing. With any luck, they'll go for it, and my problem will be solved!;)

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Alli:re Jailbreaking & Ringtones

Bite only does texts. Last time I was jailbroken I used ToneFX to change my email sound, but it only changes the overall email notification. I don't know of anything that customizes email sounds per contact.

Alli, if i can't attach ringtones to individual contacts, how about individual e-mail accounts? I have three, and it would be nice to know whether it was Verizon, AOL or Google. Thanks for your help:)

Last edited: