Attached an application I wrote up in Applescript. It needs an internet connection, because it downloads needed components. But, it has the added bonus of being able to run without having the iPad on the local wireless network. All you need to do is plug your iPad into your computer and have SSH running. This has the potential of allowing you to go to the local Best Buy or Apple Store and modified your iPad there. If you do put FaceTime on your iPad at a store, just take a flash drive with the iPod Touch 4G 4.2.1 IPSW with it.
It works on Snow Leopard/10.6. It may work on Leopard/10.5, but it will not work on Tiger/10.4.
Make sure you read all of it first. I am not responsible if you end up breaking your iPad in any way.
To those of you coming from Redmondpie: They have messed up multiple steps and changed the name of the Default picture.
Please don't post the files themselves, links to the files, or parts of the files. Doing so is in violation of Apple's copyrights.
If someone wants to risk Apple's copyright people and make a Cydia deb out of this you have my permission to do so. I just ask that you give credit to me, Intell of Macrumors.
Conference.framework, IMCore.framework MobilePhone.app, ConferenceRegistrationSettings.bundle, AVFoundation.framework, Celestial.framework, and the UISounds folder all from iPod Touch 4 4.2.1 firmware and a Jailbroken iPad running 4.2.1 (works on untethered and tethered)
Please Note: There have been some reports of this hack not properly working with the iPhone 4 files.
1. SSH to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
2. Rename Conference.framework to ConferenceiPad.framework and IMCore.framework to IMCoreiPad.framework
3. Upload the Conference.framework and IMCore.frameworks from the iPod Touch 4 or iPhone 4 to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
4. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/ and download the K48AP.plist for editing.
under the capabilities array, then upload the modified version to SpringBoard.app on the iPad replacing the unmodified version
6. Upload the ConferenceRegistrationSettings.bundle from the iDevice 4 to /System/Library/PreferenceBundles/
7. Navigate to /System/Library/Frameworks/AVFoundation.framework/K48/ and rename AVCaptureSession.plist to AVCaptureSession.bak2
8. Upload the AVCaptureSession.plist from the iPod Touch 4 /System/Library/Frameworks/AVFoundation.framework/N81/ or /System/Library/Frameworks/AVFoundation.framework/N90/ from the iPhone 4
9. Navigate to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Celestial.framework/K48/ and rename AVCapture.plist to AVCapture.bak2
10. Upload the AVCapture.plist from the iPod Touch 4 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Celestial.framework/N81/ or /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Celestial.framework/N90/ from the iPhone 4
11. To get the sounds woking navigate to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/ and put vc~ended.caf, vc~invitation-accepted.caf, and vc~ringing.caf from the iDevice 4 into the iPad's UISounds folder
12. Navigate to /Applications/Preferences.app/ and download the Settings.plist
13. Remove the requieredCapabilites key and its accompanying array from item number 26, save, then replace the version on the iPad with modified version
14. Download the MobilePhone.app from iDevice 4,edit the info.plist in MobilePhone.app. Change CFBundleDisplayName~ipod to CFBundleDisplayName~ipad, CFBundleIconFiles~ipod to CFBundleIconFiles~ipad, CFBundleURLTypes~ipod to CFBundleURLTypes~ipad, UILaunchImageFile~ipod to UILaunchImageFile~ipad, and add a 2 to the UIDeivceFamily array (For help with adding the 2 visit HOW TO: Make Apps iPad Compatible | FSMdotCOM
15. Replace the Default~ipod.png with the attached file, then upload the MobilePhone.app to the iPad's /Applications/ folder
16. Navigate to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TelephonyUI.Framework/ and rename bottombarknobgreen.png to bottombarknobgreenT.png
17. Reboot and enjoy FaceTime
I've found that the iPad takes a few extra seconds before it will start to stream the video, just give it a while on slower connections. And because the iPad 1 doesn't have a camera, the other end of the call will only see a black screen, but they will be able to hear you.