Jailbreak/Unlock Issue

kellyp513

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been lurking on here for awhile gathering info to help me decide if I should get an iPhone, and the wealth of info is amazing. I finally purchased a jailbroken/unlocked 3GS OS 4.1 on ebay and received it Saturday. Love the phone, works well with my tmobile service, but the battery life is horrendous. I've searched through threads for solutions and realize that battery life is an issue, but mine seems to indicate a battery problem.

I contacted the seller who said he hadn't had any problems, but that if I think there's something wrong with the battery I can bring it to an Apple store and if there is a problem they will replace it (phone has an AppleCare plan until 3/2012). However, he told me to wait a few weeks until there is an unlock available for 4.2, since I won't be able to use the phone on tmobile. He said before I go to Apple I should restore the phone since they won't work on a jailbroken phone.

I don't mind waiting a few weeks, but I started to think that if I have to restore the phone anyway, maybe I should do it now to see if that might have some effect on the battery problem. He told me that if I restore it using itunes I will lose the unlock and therefore be unable to use it with tmobile.

My question (took me long enough to get to it): Is there any way for me to restore the phone and be able to jailbreak and unlock it again on 4.1? The baseband is 5.13.04.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any help.

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
You can restore it using pwnagetool (mac) and you will not lose your ability to unlock. Your battery issue might be due to the jailbreak and what is running on the jailbreak. Also have you turned off wifi and push?

kellyp513

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I have turned off push and only have wifi on when I'm using it. I got rid of many of the apps that were on the phone as I had no use for them. I did add some custom ringtones - could that be an issue?

I don't have access to a mac - guess that means I'm out of luck.

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
Thanks for your reply. I have turned off push and only have wifi on when I'm using it. I got rid of many of the apps that were on the phone as I had no use for them. I did add some custom ringtones - could that be an issue?

Do you have mywi or my3g installed?

Also, check what SHSH blobs you have saved on this phone. You might want to install 4.0.1 if you have the blobs saved for that firmware and use the star jailbreak to see if you have better battery life with that... You will lose a few features of iOS 4.1 but you wont lose the ability to unlock and its better than nothing...

kellyp513

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I have neither of those apps installed.

Forgive my ignorance, but how would I check what SHSH blobs are saved on the phone?

Thanks for your help.

mojonation1487

May 28, 2010
Visit site

use limera1n. Thats for windows. Takes literally 5 minutes. then download ultrasn0w

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
I have neither of those apps installed.

Forgive my ignorance, but how would I check what SHSH blobs are saved on the phone?

Thanks for your help.

Use TinyUmbrella, or when you open Cydia look at the top. It says that your SHSH are saved for certain firmwares...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
like farbod said you can do a shift+restore with custome ipsw made by pwnage tool and it will restore the OS already Jailbroken without upgrading the baseband allowing you to unlock it again. If you want to do that shoot me a PM I will make you a custom ipsw, do a search for my username I've been around awhile nothing to fear in using my ipsw.

However before you go that route here is what I would suggest hook up your phone to iTunes and uncheck everything and sync your phone. This will remove the songs, pictures, contacts, ringtones, apps anything that is synced through iTunes. This will have no effect on your JB apps or your JB itself. Then reboot your phone. Then sync back your music pictures and apps leave the ringtones off for awhile. If you have any old apps don't sync those back on. You'll have to setup your emails again but this might work. In the past I've had problems with an old app I had from iPhone OS 1.x so if you have old apps you might want to leave it off for awhile and see if it makes a difference. You should also turn off Notification and Push for any emails you setup initially to see what happens once you turn them back on.

MooPenguin32

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I too took a hit in battery life after jailbreaking my iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.1. I used limera1n to jailbreak and installed several apps including SBSettings, Winterboard, Five Column Springboard, Five Icon Dock, Five Icon Switcher, Shrink, Folder Enhancer, and maybe some other things. I was also experiencing some lag.

I recently unjailbroke my phone. My batter life and performance has improved. I will probably jailbreak again in the near future using greenpois0n, installing an app, and seeing what's affected. This way I can narrow it down to what app or combination or apps affects battery life and/or performance.

kellyp513

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
As it turns out, I was able to find an answer for my battery problem - I turned off cellular data and now the battery life is vastly improved. So I won't have to do any restoring/unlocking right now.

give it a shot if it doesn't help shoot me a PM and I'll cook you up an ipsw.

Couldn't send you a PM as I don't have enough posts. Thanks so much for offering to help me. If I did want to update to a new OS version in the future, I'm assuming I would have the same unlocking issue once a jailbreak and unlock became available. If that's the case, would you mind if I asked for your help at that time?

Z06jerry

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
As it turns out, I was able to find an answer for my battery problem - I turned off cellular data and now the battery life is vastly improved. So I won't have to do any restoring/unlocking right now.

FYI, T-Mobile's 3G data is not compatible with the iPhone's frequencies, so there is no reason for you to have 3G turned on while using a T-Mobile SIM, however you can leave Cellular Data turned on to allow access to T-Mobile's Edge data.

Keeping 3G turned off will extend your battery life.

kellyp513

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
FYI, T-Mobile's 3G data is not compatible with the iPhone's frequencies, so there is no reason for you to have 3G turned on while using a T-Mobile SIM, however you can leave Cellular Data turned on to allow access to T-Mobile's Edge data.

Keeping 3G turned off will extend your battery life.

Thanks for your reply. I've had 3G turned off since I got the phone, as I am aware that T-mobile uses different bands. I turned cellular data off because I noticed huge amounts of data being transmitted when I checked my account online. I believe that it was causing the battery to drain. I've always used wifi (even with my bb) as I find it much faster.

I've turned cellular data back on twice as a test, and both times my battery again started draining very quickly.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

Couldn't send you a PM as I don't have enough posts. Thanks so much for offering to help me. If I did want to update to a new OS version in the future, I'm assuming I would have the same unlocking issue once a jailbreak and unlock became available. If that's the case, would you mind if I asked for your help at that time?

No problem just shoot me a message, I may take awhile to answer though sometimes I hibernate from the forums LOL

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2