Will this work? 3g -> give to son

efontana

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 3g (non-jailbroken) , I want to get a new 3gs and give the 3g to my son (who currently does not have an iPhone).

I have 5 total phones on my family plan and have an unlimited family data plan.

My question is, can I jailbreak my current 3g phone and let my son use it
with his SIM card? I'm not interested in another $30 data plan.

Will this work?

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
You don't need to jailbreak it. It'll work just fine. I did the same thing.

I remember having to use the unlock it api or something like that (do a google search) in order to get the cellular data to work on my kids iphone. It'll work for a while until either ATT realizes you have an iphone on non-iphone data plan, which worse case scenario they'll automatically sign you up.

Or like my kid, he'll loose at it at school somewhere because "it must have fallen out of my pocket" and it'll never be seen again. And then get stuck using his old phone again. Kids these days....

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 3g (non-jailbroken) , I want to get a new 3gs and give the 3g to my son (who currently does not have an iPhone).

I have 5 total phones on my family plan and have an unlimited family data plan.

My question is, can I jailbreak my current 3g phone and let my son use it
with his SIM card? I'm not interested in another $30 data plan.

Will this work?

AT&T can determine that the phone being used is an iPhone by its IEMI ( since it is AT&T locked ). If you give it to your son, they will know and can automatically add the proper data plan.

grkboy782

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Not true, if u jailbreak your phone and download bossprefs and turn off Edge and 3g, att has no way of knowing the phone is an iphone, because ur not using data. You can still use wifi, i know plenty of people who have been doing this for years with no problems. good luck

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Not true, if u jailbreak your phone and download bossprefs and turn off Edge and 3g, att has no way of knowing the phone is an iphone, because ur not using data. You can still use wifi, i know plenty of people who have been doing this for years with no problems. good luck

An AT&T branded phone ( all iPhones sold here within the US ) can 100% be identified by AT&T without use of ANY data and just making phone calls. The only thing that jailbreaking and turning off Edge & 3G does is help keep you off the obvious list, but they can ( and often do ) catch people SOLELY based on the IMEI number and if you are using an iPhone AT&T can and has added an iPhone data plan to a persons account.

Just b/c it hasn't happened to any of your friends doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2